1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Well this sucks..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
these trucks leake around the vent windows. And any truck I've had with the original windshield doesn't leak, but if it has been replaced, it almost always leaks at the top.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I took a hose to it today. It's looking like cowl cracks. I let water run down the the grate by the wiper arm, directing it to one side and in dribbled in. I pulled back the kick panel floor vent and could see it running down from higher up. It sucks not having a garage big enough to tear stuff apart. So now I'm doing a shotgun approach. Fix cowl cracks, New windshield seal, New cab light seals, bed light seal, New door seals... Then new floor pan and cab mount, do a tad of body work and the repaint this warlock. I also have a rebuild going on a spare Getrag to go in. Cryo treating cluster, input, 5th gear, 1st gear syncro assy, and bearings. And to think all I wanted to do was put new carpet in. Now if I can find a good 1st Gen grey driver bucket seat.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar2ya
I took a hose to it today. It's looking like cowl cracks. I let water run down the the grate by the wiper arm, directing it to one side and in dribbled in. I pulled back the kick panel floor vent and could see it running down from higher up. It sucks not having a garage big enough to tear stuff apart. So now I'm doing a shotgun approach. Fix cowl cracks, New windshield seal, New cab light seals, bed light seal, New door seals... Then new floor pan and cab mount, do a tad of body work and the repaint this warlock. I also have a rebuild going on a spare Getrag to go in. Cryo treating cluster, input, 5th gear, 1st gear syncro assy, and bearings. And to think all I wanted to do was put new carpet in. Now if I can find a good 1st Gen grey driver bucket seat.
Do what I did.

Use the passenger seat guts , as they're rarely sat upon.. Swapped driver to passenger foam, and vice verse. Much better now.

Ollie might have a good passenger seat for ya.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Both my 91.5 and 92 had water coming in from the kick panel vent. Pulled the kick panel off and found them packed with leaves and the drain hole in the bottom was plugged. Cleaned them out and unplugged the hole, and stopped getting water from there. Where I'm getting water from now is from snow melt off my shoes.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
you can see the leaks from the cowl box cracks if you look up under the dash for the cowl box on both sides. Cracks sealed up by body shop during refinish. I glued fiberglass screen to underside of cowl grate to keep the leaves and debris out. Both boxes were completely full. That junk holds lots of water ! Plus your AC box is rpolly full if the passenger side is full. Just may have a little varmit nest also!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
I know how it feels. I replaced my pans 7 years ago and thought I was good, NOPE! Rotted out again last year. I pulled the hood and fenders, No cowl cracks. No sure how I didn't because my front can mounts are almost non existent. I then realized sealed my cab lights. The only place I can find water coming in is on the kick panels somewhere under the dash. I am assuming it's my replacement windshield.