1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Water under floor mat!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water under floor mat!

???

Water is collecting in the carpet under my passenger side floormat. At first I thought it was the a/c, but after a few days of no a/c the water is still collecting there. The spot is no bigger than the mat and I can't find any way for it to drip down and go under the mat.

HELP! My carpet is MOLDING! AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:31 AM

Re:Water under floor mat!

I was talking to a guy that has a 92 D350 and he said that he was getting water on his floor and it was comming from the rain gutter where the spot welds were. He said that he had to put some sealer there and it stopped leaking.. The water runs through the window post to the floor. I haven't had that problem yet but I'm watching.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:12 AM

It has also been known to follow down the path of the Windshild Wiper arm or inside the Known Cowl Crack location under the front fenders.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:49 PM

Yeah same here. I have the same problem and can't find the sourse. I have it on both sides. Where exactly are these holes the water gets into.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do 1st gen's have the 3rd brake light?

Known to be a problem in the 2nd gens.

phox
Old 07-31-2003, 09:23 PM

My a/c drip line was sort of pinched so I cut a piece of plastic tubing (from a marker) and pushed it up into the tube to keep it wide open. Still waiting to see if I get more water... will let U KNOW
Old 08-01-2003, 12:11 AM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my truck water was coming in on the drivers side. It turned out the air vent on drivers side kick panel was the source of the leak.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:11 PM

Both air vents will leak because the gasket is nothing but sponge rubber. I took both sides apart and sealed them shut with RTV after removing the gaskets.

The cargo light is also a source of leaking along with the windshield. I had my windshield resealed 3 years ago and no leaks since.

Also, if the door seals are woren out some water can get to the mats.

Jim
Old 08-04-2003, 01:44 PM

OK hello guys.... One big thing to look for is the drains clogged at the bottom of the front fenders and under the truck ( below the cowl). As you can tell water AND debris can get in below the windshield at the cowl area and MUST be able to drain. After a period of time the debris can accumilate on one side or the other and clog a drain. When this happens the water will build up and it will enter the vehicle through a air vent or body seam that would not normally be sealed. It is improper to seal those vents and seams as this will give the water no place to go and lead to rust!!! The proper repair is to clean out the drains. Obviously it would be Moronic on my part to say with absolute certainty that this is your problem without visiting the situation but you can test this by putting a waterhose only on the cowl area and letting it run for awhile.

Observe if water is coming out underneath the truck(both sides) proportunate with the amount your putting in the top and also look for it coming in the inside. DO NOT SPRAY IT ALL OVER< YOU WANT TO TEST THIS AREA AND ELIMINATE IT. So do not spray the windshield area. That is a different test and you will want the cowl test eliminated first as it is a lower area.

Allow the water to run long enough to have a conclusive test. ie.. it will have to run long enough for a huge trough area to fill up and start to overflow into the truck.

Our company diagnosed and repaired many of these type leaks over the years so don't : too much!

Also note it can be water that is down there that cant drain because of the drains and comes in when you drive. In other words it is stored from when you wash the truck. This test should also eliminate that as it will be a major volume of water.