1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wait To Start Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait To Start Light

Fellas,<br><br>Im having a problem with the wait to start light. Goin down the road at all times, it will flash on and off. And, sometimes when stopped at a stop light it will flash continuosly. Going over large bumps seems to kick it off for a couple of seconds and then its back on. I had this same problem last year about this time of year. I replaced the intake sensor, and the KSB sensor. All seemed well, but now it has returned. The KSB charges like it should on cold mornings so I dont think that is my problem. I have an idea that it may be a shorted wire somewhere just because of it going off over bumps. I checked the KSB wiring from the sensor and the connections. I also checked the fuel shutoff solenoid connections and wiring. All was good. <br><br>Has anyone had this happen to there rig? If so, how did you correct the problem? Thanks in advance guys.<br><br> Monty
Old 10-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Chapter President

Re:Wait To Start Light

Well you've checked all the stuff I would, like the sensor wiring etc. Have you checked the connectors at the rear of the engine??? There is one that is a 4 pin I think that has the WIF/WTS system wiring in it. Maybe there is some moisture getting in there. I have to look at mine..I'm more familiar with the 89 wiring systems..<br><br>J-eh
Old 10-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks LilDog<br><br>Blowndodge suggested I check the connector that connects about 6&quot; from the bottom of the filter. Said his gave him the same fits. I will definately check both. Thanks again.<br><br> Monty
Old 10-18-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in this because I noticed one of the electric posts on the drivers side fender well under hood is broken. There is a plastic housing that has 4 posts that I understand has something to do with the wait to start heating system. I am not sure how it works but it is some pre heater solenoid?? Anyway one of the posts is broken. Part###??? or name of this part anyone?? It is probably a dealership part??? Or is there a substitute part. I hear the truck will start without waiting for the &quot;wait to start&quot; lite to go out?? baron
Old 10-26-2002, 02:33 PM

you know i dont even look at the light i just look at the volt meter when it goes back up to 12 i know its time to start
Old 10-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Administrator

[quote author=baron link=board=9;threadid=6014;start=0#54942 date=1035000041]<br>I am interested in this because I noticed one of the electric posts on the drivers side fender well under hood is broken. There is a plastic housing that has 4 posts that I understand has something to do with the wait to start heating system. I am not sure how it works but it is some pre heater solenoid?? Anyway one of the posts is broken. Part###??? or name of this part anyone?? It is probably a dealership part??? Or is there a substitute part. I hear the truck will start without waiting for the &quot;wait to start&quot; lite to go out?? baron<br>[/quote]<br><br>Sounds like you are referring to the grid heater relays.<br><br>FWIW...the problem with my wait to start light flashing was the intake air temp sensor connection was loose.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:47 PM

Barron<br><br>My 89 has a buzzer, not a light, but I usually ignore it anyway. I have only had it since August, but the temps are getting into the low 30's here now in the morning. I just turn the key and she fires right up. When the temps start to really drop, I will probably wait, just to be a little easier on it.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:04 PM
Chapter President

I had an 89 and it does have a light... I think yours is just burned out.. The control consol for the WTS system in the Cummins area of your dash did not change until 1994. I would check these bulbs and make sure all the connections are tight in behind...<br><br>J-eh
Old 10-29-2002, 07:55 PM

LilDog<br><br>Was not aware of that. My mechanic has a second gen, with no light, I just assumed mine was the same as his. All the same, the wts buzzer still works, and so do the other diesel only warning lights, so it is probably just the bulb. Do all first gen's have a light and a buzzer, or is the buzzer something someone added ? Previous owner was a real hack when it came to electrical add ons ( brake controller, CB, air horns,trailer harness, fog lights, and who knows what else). Spent an entire Saturday, just tracing and removing wires that had been disconnected and left in place. Got rid of the plastic air horns too.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:24 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Sure thats not the seatbelt buzzer? Mine just lights up when its cold and you can hear the solenoid when it shuts off.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:12 PM

RTO<br><br>I am positive that it is not the seatbelt buzzer because I actually wear my seatbelt ;D (after breaking a concrete wall with a stock car, and walking away without a scratch, I will never drive without it). Also the length of time it buzzes is shorter when it is warm out, or the engine hasn't fully colled off. I know the pre-heater is working, because I can see the lights dim for a couple seconds, then go bright again while warming up ( Ford calls this &quot;after glow&quot;, no idea what Dodge calls it, but it is cycling the heater to reduce white smoke while warming up).<br><br>While cranking this morning I watched the lights that come on in that cluster, something for anti-lock brakes (?), water in fuel, wait to start, and I missed what the fourth one was. So the bulb is not burned out, it comes on for the test. It does not light while the buzzer is running, or while the after start pre-heater cycling thing is happening. Wierd, but not something I am too worried about. Maybe the preheater control burned out and was replaced with a used one from a later unit? Guy I got it from buys wrecks etc from auction, pieces them together and sells them ( the drive for the vac pumps and PS was broken in this one, when he got it). Truck starts and runs fine ( I don't usually wait for the preheater anyway), but if it ever does become a problem, I will set it up to run off a pushbutton, same as I did with my old Ford.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:25 PM

Just wondering why the 89 had a buzzer, but not the 90. Wonder if they got cheap after the first year, or if yours is a later part, they got tired of doing warranty work for driver error and added a buzzer. It's amazing what people don't see in front of them. [undecided]
Old 11-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know mines nowhere near a 1st gen, but:<br><br>Forgot to plug my truck in last night, temp this morning at 11am was 35, so last night must have been below 20.<br><br>Figured I'd better cycle the heaters twice to make sure it would start, so I did, with the driver door open.<br>Noticed the &quot;door open&quot; buzzer stopped about the same time the &quot;wait to start&quot; light went out.<br>The seatbelt buzz had already stopped.<br><br>just a thought.<br><br>phox
Old 11-03-2002, 09:02 AM

I am incredibly embarassed to admit this, but that was the seatbelt buzzer. Never really thought about it, but I do start the truck before putting on the belt. With mine the door buzzer keeps going as long as the keys are in and the door open. Sorry about the bad info on the WTS buzzer. Anyone have any thoughts on why the light only comes on while cranking?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:17 PM

Should only come on as test light at 40 deg and up. Under 40 it will stay on length depending on temp. When it is actually heating, you should be able to hear it shut off mechanically when the light goes out. It will make a thump. As the engine is running, it will cycle off and on until the engine temp comes up. Maybe this warming of the intake air prior to it getting into the combustion chamber contributes to the long engine life. It is minimizing the rapid temp fluctuations other engines with glow plugs would get. Just thinking out loud, maybe somebody already figured it out.

Quick Reply: Wait To Start Light