1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE pump ramblings...

Old 02-17-2003, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:VE pump ramblings...

I'm going back to sniffing diesel fumes......
Old 02-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Hey, Jay, don't hog the fuel can, lemme sniff some too... may as well......<br><br>Geeezzzz hdm.... I need to hook my pocket calculator up to a 220V source for that crap.......<br>Oh ya, aside from electrics being my worst thing,,,, formula's are a dead heat for first place... :'( :'(<br>I wonder what Piers is doing next week..... who want's to hijack the guy with me.... ;D ;D<br>Bob
Old 02-17-2003, 02:24 PM

Some sort of inline fuel cooler prior to returning to the pump?<br>Not far fetched at all. This is a VERY common practise in marine applications. My 6BTA 270 hp marine engine has a fuel cooler in the return line (to the tank). It is cooled by sea water which is probably 50/65 F normally where I use it.<br>As a matter of fact, the engine rating is higher with cooler fuel temps .<br>Jay<br>
Old 02-17-2003, 03:03 PM

Did a quick search and found this.<br><br>Fuel cooler
Old 02-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=Jbolt link=board=9;threadid=11000;start=15#105758 date=1045515823]<br>Did a quick search and found this.<br><br>Fuel cooler<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hmm...looks interesting. Nice find!
Old 02-17-2003, 05:54 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Might even help cure that spooky fuel gauge that drops after everything has cooled down.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Muted User

I run a european car junkyard and fuel coolers are common on almost all of them. They cool the fuel with low side a/c line on its way back to the compressor. This way the cars run better on hot days with no loss of power. I would be willing to donate a mercedes fuel cooler to someone if they want to research the enhancement it may offer. You would have to alter you a/c line, but it may be a good thing.<br> -RATCHET-
Old 02-17-2003, 09:17 PM

In drag racing we used to use cool cans to keep the fuel cold. It would be worth up to 1/10th of a second off Et's. But that was for gas engines. I wonder, what is the best temp for a diesel engine. I know a diesel does not want cold fuel. It slows down the oxidation rate and flash point.<br> What we need is to spend some time on a dyno using fuel at different temps. All a guy would need to do is run a pick up line to a remote tank and let the return just go back to the trucks tank.<br> Oh great, thanks a lot. Now I'm gonna have to figure this out. <br> Question is, do I use winter fuel or summer fuel?<br><br> dave
Old 02-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Well, maybe it's just me,,,, but I think we need to get more fuel out of a VE and then see if it needs to be cooled... but I do have a hint or two that I collected today.... I'm off to the books to do a little reading...<br>Also, as I understand it, the VE would flow roughly 140-145cc/1000 stokes.<br><br>Further info reveals that your can in fact run the the defuel point of these up a tad farther than first thought..... <br><br>I'll get back to ya on what else I find...<br><br>Bob.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 PM

Cummins rates their marine diesels at two temperatures because of some European standards.<br>For example I'll give the ratings for the 6BTA 270 hp marine engine.<br>It is rated at 270 crankshaft hp with a fuel temp of 77* F<br>and 260 hp with a fuel temp of 104* F<br>That looks like a 3 to 4% difference roughly, at least in that temperature range. Dave...is that worth 1/10 sec? does that make sense?<br>To me that says maybe 8 hp if we're in the 200 hp area. To me that's not worth cooling the fuel, but it might be for you &quot;I got the most ponies&quot; guys ;D (not you Bush...I don't mean you)<br>You might be better off dynoing in January .....you'd get the benefit of cold air too <br>I have some more reference material available that I will look thru...if anything jumps out I'll let you guys know.<br>Jay<br><br><br>
Old 02-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Administrator

TTT<br><br>Any new findings on the gov. springs etc? Yall sure have gotten quiet, surely you are up to something. <br><br><br><br> Monty
Old 02-23-2003, 06:24 AM

[quote author=OkieBroncRider link=board=9;threadid=11000;start=15#107889 date=1045978496]<br>TTT<br><br>Any new findings on the gov. springs etc? Yall sure have gotten quiet, surely you are up to something. <br><br><br><br> Monty<br>[/quote] i think they are waiting on the &quot;pump gurus&quot; to complicate a simple procedure. ;D
Old 02-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Administrator

From the TDR, posted by Roadhawg,<br>Govener spring test!! <br><br>First I would like to say that this pump was a long way from stock settings before I started.<br>the stock spring I pulled out had #388 on it. I had pulled it before and added a smaller light spring through the center of it.<br>In this test i removed my old setup and replaced with spring #366. Also I want to say my govener screw is backed all the way flush with the housing but my linkege wont let me get full travel anyway.<br>Old setup would rev untill 60mph in 3rd gear.<br>Spring #366 revved to 67 before I chickened out!!!<br>I was afraid of hearing a piston hitting a valve at any second!<br>I ordered 60lb valve springs two weeks ago so I'm going to wait untill I get them installed.<br>I guess I forgot to say I have 3.54 gears.<br>I revved it in 4th gear and saw 97mph before I ran out of road, it was still pulling strong!<br>I cant wait to get the valve springs installed so I can play more <br>The seet of pants feel ? Truck is waaaay faster , with flicks of the throttle I see 3-4lbs more manifold presure than before .In 4th gear I could pull 42lbs.<br>I could normally get about 36-38lbs<br>It takes only about 3 seconds to peg piro guage at 1500 degrees. It seems to do it a little faster.<br>My general impression is this is a good modification and I recomend it to anyone who wants a few more rpm.<br>I wish I could give more facts but I don't want to damage the engine.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Old 02-23-2003, 11:36 AM

Seems to be what most have expected, and what some have already experienced. I think I will add this to my list. Thanks for the test results Roadhawg, and for posting it here, Okie. ;D<br><br>Mike<br>
Old 02-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Administrator

No problem, just trying to get this out in the open as much as possible. Seems to me that the automatic transmissions let the engine fuel higher with governor screw mods than the manual tranny does. My gov screw is flush with the housing and to be honest, there was no increase of fuel at higher RPMS than there was when I only had it turned in 1 turn. If he can hit 97mph in 4th gear then this is definately a mod that I will add to my list. Just to be safe, I think that a guy would be ahead to purchase the 60lb valve springs.<br><br>We all need to thank jughead for his input long ago on this simple mod. If it wasnt for his info, I feel that it would have taken us a long time to find out just what this mod will do.<br><br> Monty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VE pump ramblings...