1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turning up the pump '92

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning up the pump '92

Is it safe for the pump and the engine to turn up the pump a bit? I pull a 12k fifth wheel and bit more power would be nice. I am lookin for inexpensive power. Somethin I can do myself. I don't want to do damage to the pump or the engine though. I have gone to an AFE filter and 3 inch exhaust and it helped but I could use a bit more. How will this effect my milage? I was talkin to a fella the other day that said he had his turned up and gained 25% more hp. Is this kinda power normal?<br><br><br>Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-09-2003, 01:24 PM

Re:Turning up the pump '92

I turned mine up about 40,000 miles ago and have had no problems except wiping the cheesy grin off my face when I get on it. ;D I've heard and read of lots of guys warning it's hard on the pump, but mine's doing fine so far at 148K miles on original pump and everything else. Everyday mileage has stayed about the same. I tow heavy frequently and also use Stanadyne DFA for pump lube. Dyno showed 196HP/572TQ (at only 2500 rpm), and if you figure 20% HP loss through the drivetrain, that'd be roughly 235 flywheel HP, which would be nearly 50% more than stock rating of 160. I think this is close to the limits of the power available from the easy, free adjustments. The engine itself can easily handle more power.<br><br>http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm It's simple, just remember to write down how many turns you go, etc. so you can keep track.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:31 PM

Hey thanks. I have been thinkin about this for awhile now but don't want to get into more trouble than it's worth. I sure don't want to have to replace the pump. It sure would be nice to get a little more out of the ole girl though. I don't beat it in anyway but pullin the fifth she could use a little goose. Is there any special tricks I should look out for?<br><br>thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 03:39 PM

No problem. The link I posted covers all the tricks. They cover everything thoroughly. Mine ran OK stock, but these changes really woke it up. Pulls like a bear.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:24 PM

Jeeper<br><br>Not to be a pain about this but I think I am goin to turn up the pump this week sometime. I read the site and it &quot;seems&quot; pretty straight forward. When you say it will be puttin about 230 hp with the adjustment on the pump do you mean with just turnin up the pump with no other mods? Do you feel that a set of gauges are necessary after the pump job? We do a bit of traveling with our 12k fifth wheel. Can I run the truck without the gauges? Is the idea to keep the Cummins reved up to keep the temp down? I am still usin all stock settings includin the gov. I would rather not touch it but...........<br><br>Did you put in a pyro? If so did you put it in the manifold? Again if you did, what is the trick to drillin the casting without gettin the shaveings in the manifold? I am afraid for the turbo.<br><br>I know I am askin a lot here but I really don't want to screw it up.<br><br>Thanks again for the help
Old 06-11-2003, 09:04 AM

if you just do a little turn up (to the collar) I'd say you're fine without gauges, but you'll eventually want them. I did my pyro pre turbo, grease the bit and use a magnet on the manifold while drilling to attract the shavings
Old 06-11-2003, 11:19 AM

I turned everything up I could on my pump and it lasted 5 months [undecided] :'( It is on its way back from the shop right as we speak. I hade the put it on a pump stand and turn it up as far as they thought it would go and be safe. It has 180k miles on the pump.<br><br>DM01
Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 AM

If you crank the pump way up while you're running the factory injectors, then you'll be asking for trouble. The cam plate, rollers and roller shafts can't take the pressure of forcing the added fuel through the small factory injectors. Best thing would be to get a set of bigger injectors. Not free by any means, but neither is a new/rebuilt injector pump <br><br>Sean
Old 06-11-2003, 12:04 PM

The only other thing I have done is change the hot side turbo housing to 16 cm. I don't think this effects power much, just brings on the boost a little sooner, so yes those adjustments alone can get you to around that HP number. Oh, I lost the muffler too. I would recommend a set of gauges before you tow much, because with that extra fueling, you'll be able to exceed 1250 EGT. If you're just running around town without a load, it shouldn't be a problem, but if I'm flooring it in 4th and 5th, I can get there even without a load. The biggest help in reducing my EGT's was advancing the pump timing. Another simple adjustment, but you need a special wrench, or you can bend your own. If you're towing heavy, keeping the rpm's up will help with EGT's. Basically, it won't like towing a heavy load up a hill at low rpm, but you won't be able to see it without a pyro. Yes, I have gauges and my pyro is in the manifold. I drilled while switching the turbo housing, so I was able to make sure no chips went where they shouldn't. I don't want to see you mess up your truck either. Take your time and get some more input from others. Ideally, a set of injectors is the way to get more fuel with less stress on the pump. I plan to get a set, but the cash is going too many other directions right now. ;D<br><br>[quote author=thumbs link=board=9;threadid=15658;start=0#148054 date=1055298279]<br>Jeeper<br><br>Not to be a pain about this but I think I am goin to turn up the pump this week sometime. I read the site and it &quot;seems&quot; pretty straight forward. When you say it will be puttin about 230 hp with the adjustment on the pump do you mean with just turnin up the pump with no other mods? Do you feel that a set of gauges are necessary after the pump job? We do a bit of traveling with our 12k fifth wheel. Can I run the truck without the gauges? Is the idea to keep the Cummins reved up to keep the temp down? I am still usin all stock settings includin the gov. I would rather not touch it but...........<br><br>Did you put in a pyro? If so did you put it in the manifold? Again if you did, what is the trick to drillin the casting without gettin the shaveings in the manifold? I am afraid for the turbo.<br><br>I know I am askin a lot here but I really don't want to screw it up.<br><br>Thanks again for the help<br>[/quote]
Old 06-13-2003, 12:18 AM

Any links on how to change the timing on an 89? I havent heard of this, but I am also new to this site, and so far I cant believe the wealth of knowledge and information on here. <br>Thanks again,<br>Brian
Old 06-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red, try doing a search on this page for timing of the ve pump. You should be able to come up with alot of info.