1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck miss slightly.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Truck miss slightly.

Hey all, took the truck out of storage last night and while driving to work and idle at a local coffee shop I notices there was a slight fuel miss causing the motor to humm a little off.

Truck has been in storage since October and I need to make a 4 hour trip to vermont. Maybe just water in the fuel?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Against popular belief, diesel will degrade over time in a sealed container. Keep a new fuel filter onboard, throw a bottle of fuel conditioner in, and top it off with fresh fuel. Drive it for a while, and use up that old fuel. If you can drain your filter, put it in a small cup and see if water separates out overnight in that cup.

Personally, I run Howes fuel conditioner all year, as it seems to keep it runnin Great, no matter what the season.

Replace that filter once you've burned all that old fuel out, or if you get a ton of water out of it
Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Against popular belief, diesel will degrade over time in a sealed container. Keep a new fuel filter onboard, throw a bottle of fuel conditioner in, and top it off with fresh fuel. Drive it for a while, and use up that old fuel. If you can drain your filter, put it in a small cup and see if water separates out overnight in that cup.

Personally, I run Howes fuel conditioner all year, as it seems to keep it runnin Great, no matter what the season.

Replace that filter once you've burned all that old fuel out, or if you get a ton of water out of it
Thanks, I'll snag one from napa.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I've been noticing that mine runs rough for a bit when first starting up. I just figured it's all of the crud I poured in there from my crankcase when the VE seal popped out. I'm down below 1/2 tank so just waiting for the eagle to poop on the 1st to fill it up again and pour in some Power Service. I just bought 3 new fuel filters so eventually I'll get all of the crud out of the tank. My VE is well lubed though thanks to the three gallons of 15w40.

The truck spends most of it's time in the driveway. My wife thinks she's jinxed it because every time she gets in it something breaks. I think I'm gonna tell her she gets to fix whatever it is next time.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The 6BT will lope a little if it needs valves adjusted.
The following 3 users liked this post by j_martin:
edwinsmith (02-21-2018), mknittle (02-21-2018), MrFusion (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I've been noticing that mine runs rough for a bit when first starting up. I just figured it's all of the crud I poured in there from my crankcase when the VE seal popped out. I'm down below 1/2 tank so just waiting for the eagle to poop on the 1st to fill it up again and pour in some Power Service. I just bought 3 new fuel filters so eventually I'll get all of the crud out of the tank. My VE is well lubed though thanks to the three gallons of 15w40.

The truck spends most of it's time in the driveway. My wife thinks she's jinxed it because every time she gets in it something breaks. I think I'm gonna tell her she gets to fix whatever it is next time.
That's why mine is generally banned from the shop during projects. Things are going ok on a project, she's there 5 minutes and things go sideways.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Changed the filter and it still did it, I think I had water in the line. When I got to swanton VT she was rumbling like she use too. Hauled about 9,000 lbs and she did great. Sadly on the way back I noticed the entire time my EGT temps where hovering around 800F. I thought it was on 1200F so I was in fear of pushing it harder and melting the pistons. After my eyes figured that part out I wasn't doing 40mph up hills anymore.

I really need to get a pillar gauge setup, the way the pod is now it tilts the gloshift gauges ever so slightly they're hard to read.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
You where in Swanton and you didn't swing by the shop for a beer...
Glad it was an easy "fix".
Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
You where in Swanton and you didn't swing by the shop for a beer...
Glad it was an easy "fix".
Coming into vermont I was pushing two feet of water. On the way back I had to move a rather large ice chunk and I think there was about 3 ft of water at that time.

Charcoal creek and the missquoi river (I think) buried that road. It was awkward because a trailer attached to a boat was floating around

I do need to swing up there sometime and get some parts for the RC conversion. Just sitting in my barn collecting dust now. Kids and our small house are killing I and the wife.