1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Trailer Brake Connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Trailer Brake Connector

Hi Guys, Does anyone know if the early first gens, like my '90, have a factory connector provided for a trailer brake controller? I looked and didn't see anything obvious. I have no problem hand wiring one in, put a factory one would be much easier. I bought a twin axle trailer that already has a breakaway device and after some checking, I should be able to wire in a controller using the same black wire that powers the breakaway device, TIA...Mark
Old 07-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
No, they don't. It's a total do-it-your-selfer. Google "7 blade trailer wiring diagram". A break away device is a separate unit on the trailer. The only thing it needs from the vehicle is a power source to keep the battery charged.
The following users liked this post:
maybe368 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks, that is what I thought. I did some searching and it seems that I can wire "through" the breakaway, in order to actuate the brakes with the controller. Do you know if that is true, or do I need to do something different? Also, I see that most controllers have a connector for a specific vehicle, so, I can just hack it off and rewire it, correct? I also see some without the connector, I just want to get a good quality one...Mark
Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Ok, so this is the connector that I have and I have a couple of questions: I assume that the blue brake wire both actuates the brake lights and the trailer brakes, is this correct? Or, because the black is connected to the breakaway is that the power to the brakes? I am going to try and power it up with a charge pack to find out for myself. One of the problems is that this trailer has been in Kino for a while and all of the little screws and nuts are rusted. They are currently soaking in oil...Mark

Old 07-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
When I was pulling a 5th wheel, the breakaway was a cable which led to a switch on the trailer. If the trailer came loose from the truck the cable pulled the pin out of the switch and applied the brakes on the trailer. The battery in the trailer had to be up however to supply power to the brakes.

Edwin

R.I.P. Tyler Skaggs
maybe368 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that is how mine is. A lanyard connected to the truck pulls a "breaker" out and activates the brakes. It is connected to the black wire coming out of the trailer connector, I guess that I need to know if I just connect the trailer controller to the same black wire going back to the electric brakes, of course bypassing the breakaway device...Mark
Old 07-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The brake activation is one circuit, wired from the controller to EB
The brake lights are combined with the turn signals in the truck wiring. Left turn and right turn are separate circuits.
The power circuit is yet another one. It should be fairly heavy, fused, and if you leave the trailer hooked up for long periods, should be relay powered from the aux (heater) circuit.
Tail and clearance lights, of course, is another.

The breakaway brake system contains a battery, a battery maintenance charger that runs off the truck, and a switch that connects said battery to the brake activation circuit. It will work with the trailer connected or disconnected, ie broken hitch.
This system is normally disconnected, and only activates if the breakaway pin is pulled out of the switch by the cable.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin
The brake lights are combined with the turn signals in the truck wiring. Left turn and right turn are separate circuits.
The power circuit is yet another one. It should be fairly heavy, fused, and if you leave the trailer hooked up for long periods, should be relay powered from the aux (heater) circuit.

The breakaway brake system contains a battery, a battery maintenance charger that runs off the truck, and a switch that connects said battery to the brake activation circuit. It will work with the trailer connected or disconnected, ie broken hitch.
This system is normally disconnected, and only activates if the breakaway pin is pulled out of the switch by the cable.

Hope this helps.
Thank you John, So if I understand you, the battery in the breakaway needs a separate charger and doesn't charge from the alternator? Also, I don't quite under stand the brake lights/ turn signal thing. Are you saying that I run a separate wire from the same source as the turn signals on the truck to the eb contact, thanks again...Mark Eb is for the electric brakes or for the brake lights?...I believe that the breakaway is connected to the aux/black wire the way that it is setup now...
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
This is the set-up I used on my truck..

I sourced this stuff out myself years ago but I see These guys sell it as a kit now.

https://www.trailerjacks.com/86-93-D...Control-Ready-

I then use a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller. A couple 30amp auto reset circuit breakers under the hood for the power from the battery to controller, then from controller to to circuit breaker and to rear plug.....not bad of a job.
maybe368 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Maybe this will help clear things up.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
maybe368 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cougar
Maybe this will help clear things up.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
Bingo!!!! Thank you, that is exactly what I need. I looked at fifty diagrams and didn't find one that included both the breakaway and controller. The manufacturer used black wires to the breakaway and my pea brain is easily befuddled. There's some words for ya! ...Mark
Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
If this helps. Trailer tail lights are “dumb”. They have 3 wires: turn, tail, and ground. The tail come on when the headlights are on making a “dim glow”. When the turn signal, hazard, or brakes pedal is stomped on, they get voltage from the turn circuit making them illuminate brighter. Incandescent bulbs have 2 filaments in the bulbs allowing this to happen.

this might help with the wring colors

Yellow- left turn (side the yellow stripe on the road when driving)
green- right turn ( side the grass is on when driving)
brown- tail (brown stuff comes out the rear end)
white- ground (same color as neutral in a home)
blue- brake controller signal wire to brakes (B if for blue/brakes)
black- aux 12v (for supplying 12v to whatever you need, hot wire same color as a home)
red- whatever you want, usually for reverse lights but not many trailers have them

Also ignore the color markings on the inside of the flat trailer plugs they are for an RV set up that I have yet to see. Meaning the pins have the same function, but the colors are way different, like purple.
maybe368 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hello fellas! I am trying to wire in my 7 pin connector in 1000% humidity and 2000 degrees temp, no exaggeration . It is no surprise to me that there was no adherence to color coding. I have breakaway brakes and have replaced the battery. Am I correct in assuming that when I pull the pin from the black contact thingy, that it should activate the brakes and I shouldn't be able to move the trailer? I see that the black wire is the power to the brakes, but this one only goes to 1 side, but seems to go through the axle case and powers the other side. Does this sound right or should I run a separate wire to the other side. My other question is that there does not seem to be a blue, or any, wire for the brake lights. Do I connect the brake wire from the truck to the tail lights? This thing is a nightmare...Mark
Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Ok,based on the photos above, I think that I now understand the responses above. When the pin is pulled, it closes the circuit of the black (hot) wire, this forces the little disk pad looking thing into the side of the drum, which, while moving, and through friction activates the shoes in order to stop the trailer. As we know, a picture is worth a thousand words. It is pretty clear that the shoes are a tad thin. Does anyone know if the ittle side disk is missing anything, like a pad. Am I SOL in bringing it home this trip? I might be able to find parts in Hermosillo, TIA...Mark Ok, I see that the brake lights are powered by the turn signal wires, thanks John. OK, OK I got the wiring down, now How can I test the trailer brake circuit, it seems to be drawing down the battery to 8 volts and nothing seems to be happening at the brakes...Ok I am a bit slow, I activated the circuits and both "pucks" are magnetized. So, I guess that they are working. I am going to adjust the brakes, hook her up and head north...
Old 07-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin

Hope this helps.
Hi John, a question, What size fuse do you recommend for the power circuit? I used 12 gauge wire and ran it straight off the #2 battery on the separator. I do not have access to a relay until I get back to the states tomorrow or possibly in Hermosillo, so I gerry rigged a fuse holder using 2 female spade connectors. I have a 25 amp fuse in it. It is the biggest that I have, but I can get a bigger one in Hermosillo tomorrow. What do you think? Thanks in advance...Mark

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Connector