1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tires for Alcoa wheels

Old 09-13-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires for Alcoa wheels

I have the Alcoa 8 hole classic 16x7(same as ford wheels) for my truck currentally in the basement. They have C rated tires on them that looks ok but given that I would be risking the sheet metal and wheel if I had a blow out plus I don't know the history of the tires. I have decided to started looking at new tires for them. The tires on there are 265/75R16. That seems like the right size for the wheel from what I have been reading? I was thinking about trying out these toyo open countrys. My question is what tire will work the best? They have an M/T H/T and A/T? I can see they range in agressiveness. These will be my summer wheels as I plan on taking them off in the winter. I do mostly hwy driving with the truck with the ocassional unimproved road. The H/T looks like it fits what I'm going to use the tires for. Any input or other tires to take a look at would be great. Also do you think there will be any clearance issues with these tires and wheels? My truck has no lift yet but I do plan on a mild lift in the future 2-4".
Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyo has some new lode range e tires

The Open Country H/T is Toyo’s new, all-season, highway type tire designed for optimal ride comfort, quiet performance and handling for urban and highway use. A wide range of direct Original Equipment replacement sizes are available for SUV’s, Light Trucks and Crossover vehicles
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
AS you can see from my signature, I run that exact setup wth the Ford Alcoa Wheels and the 265/75 Toyo H/T Load Range E, two years and over 50,000 miles I have run them all year long with steady rotations and they aren't to the wear bars yet although my front end pulls to the left, I prolly need a bit of an alignment even. They're excellent in the rain with those two big grooves. Les Schwab is great also. I had Michelin A/S in the same size and weight rating and was all over the freeway hydroplaning and spinning out , pushing in corners and everything so I went in and Les Schwab had these on the rack, telling me they were brand new models. They looked good and I know Toyo is solid so I gave them a go. I have towed with these tires as well. They're great. Brand new, I did notice a little bit more Swagger due to the tall new tread but that didn't bother me after the first few days. If you have any more questions let me know. BTW clearance is a non issue, I have a stock d250 2X4 with never any rubbing with the Ford Alcoa Wheels
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 PM

PapeCAT,

Do you have any pics of your rig showing the Alcoa wheels on them? I have a set and have not put them on yet. I'd like to see what they look like on a 1st gen. Anyone else have pics of 1st gens with Alcoa's?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Firstgenfanatic
PapeCAT,

Do you have any pics of your rig showing the Alcoa wheels on them? I have a set and have not put them on yet. I'd like to see what they look like on a 1st gen. Anyone else have pics of 1st gens with Alcoa's?
If you do a search in the first gen forum for alcoa there is a pic of a D250 with them. Not sure where it was though. I don't have a pic of them on the truck but there are pics of the wheels in my pictures.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:19 AM

Are these tires white lettered or Black walled? They have them listed as Outlined white lettering. I would guess thats just the one side? They are not that easy to find. a hand full of tire shops and one chain in the chicago area carrys them. And tirerack.com doesn't have them from what I see. I'm going to see if the shop I go too all the time can get them for a reasonable price.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the ford Alcoas with the Toyo H/T's... and I can't help you guys who aren't out west. Les Schwab is out west everywhere and Toyo is pretty much their main brand so they're easy to find here. These are the only pics I have ATM but I'll tell you that the Backspacing is spot on, not too wide and definitely not too narrow, a result of putting 2nd gen steelies on your 1st gen truck, my bed is rubbed from my tires with those wheels...

http://picasaweb.google.com/papecat/...05056455813570

http://picasaweb.google.com/papecat/...05052160846258