1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Timing too advanced? Idle speed changes with KSB.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing too advanced? Idle speed changes with KSB.

Recently did some work to my truck. I resealed the injection pump, installed a 3200 spring, and Installed an M&H timing spacer. I also checked my pump timing with a dial indicator. Unfortunately when I set the engine at TDC my TDC pin was broken so I used a bore scope to center the hole. Truck is a non intercooled 91 so I set the pump to 1.4mm of lift (from the engine tag). This resulted in about 3/16 difference in the marks on my pump/timing case from unknown previous service.

The issue that I am having is that when the KSB is warming up (wax type) my idle is approximately 50 rpm below what it is when the KSB turns off. There is a noticeable jump of rpm when the timing advance goes away. Truck is slightly more rattly than before but its not 24v rattly.

Also When I resealed my pump I measured the main power screw length with calipers and set it right back where it was. I have now turned the screw in 2 more turns and it seems that my power and smoke is slightly less than it was before.

I installed an he351cw at the same time as the other changes and I can't seem to make more than 25 psi. I built a spring gate for it and even when the spring is cranked pretty tight boost doesn't increase over 25psi.

So does it sound like it has too much timing? I am ordering a new TDC pin today so I will check my timing with a dial indicator again but I wanted some input.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
When I installed my M/H timing spacer and had the KSB hooked up there was so much advance I had no power. This was on my 93 motor so KSB is powered differently. Unhooked the power to KSB and has been good ever since.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 PM

Well I turned my timing back to about where it was before and I still get the same jump in idle when the KSB warms up but the drivability is a lot better.

The turbo still only builds 25psi but I might have too light of spring on the gate.

It still feels weaker to me but that might just be in my head since the 18cm little h1c took a while to build boost and then it took off. Now I have boost pretty quick so I dont feel it take off as much.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Well it seems I still have some kind of issue. I tried turning the fuel up a bit and within a turn of the screw it started a runaway (had a board ready and intercooler pipe off) so I backed it back off. I tightened the wastegate a bit, no change. Pulled the fuel pin to make sure it was clocked right (thd pin) it was ok. So Im at a loss. not getting enough fuel.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check fuel pressure going to the injection pump before you go any further. beyond that, maybe block the gate on the turbo with vice grips or whatever is available to eliminate that variable. A healthy non-ic truck thats close to runaway should be smoking hot and run like a scalded dog.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Found my low power, AFC follower pin is stuck and not riding the fuel pin.