1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time For New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Time For New Tires

Now that winter seems to be on the way out, it's time for me to put the studs in the shed and swap on my summer tires. The problem is, I don't have any summer tires.

I'd like some ideas from you all on here. I'm just looking for some stock size 235/85R16's. I want 100% Summer highway tires. The best fuel mileage and 80K to 100K+ mile tread wear would be perfect. $300 tops, $200 would obviously be better. 3 ply sidewall would be great as I sometimes haul heavy (haul, not tow - sometimes 6K right over the back axle). Wet traction is of little concern as we don't get much rain in these parts.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Michelin XPS Rib. I have not run these for many years, but they used to be excellent for everything but traction, and they still seem to be the same tire.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Nitto Duragrappler. 3-ply sidewall. I doubt you'll get 80-100K but I wouldn't trust a tire with that many miles anyway.

Dura Grappler Highway Terrain Light Truck Tire
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
80K tread wear on a tire on a 1 ton diesel seems like asking a lot.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Nitto Duragrappler. 3-ply sidewall. I doubt you'll get 80-100K but I wouldn't trust a tire with that many miles anyway.

Dura Grappler Highway Terrain Light Truck Tire
Way too many sipes. Sipes tend to equal faster tread wear. Less is more for a fair weather tire.

As for trusting tires with higher miles, semi tires regularly run well over 100K miles.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Way too many sipes. Sipes tend to equal faster tread wear. Less is more for a fair weather tire.

As for trusting tires with higher miles, semi tires regularly run well over 100K miles.

Look into the Toyo Open country Ht, and Toyo M54. The Ht may have to many sipes for your liking though. My experience with both are good wear at least 50-60k.

As for semi tires regularly running over 100k this is true, they also are at least a 14 ply, and harder rubber compound than most light truck tires. This is what helps them achieve that kind of mileage.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
Look into the Toyo Open country Ht, and Toyo M54. The Ht may have to many sipes for your liking though. My experience with both are good wear at least 50-60k.

As for semi tires regularly running over 100k this is true, they also are at least a 14 ply, and harder rubber compound than most light truck tires. This is what helps them achieve that kind of mileage.
Did you mean M55? They are pretty decent, but I would like an even more highway oriented tire.

I am also aware why semi tires run so long. Why doesn't anyone make a pickup tire with these same characteristics?

How about something like a Duravis R250 or R238? Any experience with either of those?

Does anybody know anything about Hercules Tires? Apparently they are owned by Cooper? (Which I am not a fan of) While looking around, I came across their H-901 tire.

Hercules News : Hercules Introduces New H-901 All Steel Commercial Light Truck Tire: Heavy-duty tire is latest in H-Series medium truck line-up

14 ply, "making it suitable for vehicles that require heavy load capacities or operate in conditions that demand a heavy-duty, puncture-resistant tire."

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a Chinese Cooper knockoff...
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
With the hard rubber compounds stopping distance is greatly inceeased on a light truck as the tire slides with less resistance.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
OOPs meant increased not reduced --Edited
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 AM

Did you mean M55? They are pretty decent, but I would like an even more highway oriented tire.

I am also aware why semi tires run so long. Why doesn't anyone make a pickup tire with these same characteristics?

How about something like a Duravis R250 or R238? Any experience with either of those?

Does anybody know anything about Hercules Tires? Apparently they are owned by Cooper? (Which I am not a fan of) While looking around, I came across their H-901 tire.

Hercules News : Hercules Introduces New H-901 All Steel Commercial Light Truck Tire: Heavy-duty tire is latest in H-Series medium truck line-up

14 ply, "making it suitable for vehicles that require heavy load capacities or operate in conditions that demand a heavy-duty, puncture-resistant tire."

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a Chinese Cooper knockoff...

The M54 may not be offered any more, it's been 10 years since I last looked for them. But it was the same compound and ply as the M55 but a ribbed highway tire.

Duravis??? Have never heard of them, will look them up. As for Hercules, had a cheap set on a dodge Dakota back in the 90's and I mean "cheap". Didn't last long. Most recent experience with them are their 255/70R22.5 semi tires, don't like them either they don't wear very well at all in our applications.

It is a costly conversion, but may be worth considering if you want a high milealge tire, have you looked into doing 19.5's?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
The M54 may not be offered any more, it's been 10 years since I last looked for them. But it was the same compound and ply as the M55 but a ribbed highway tire.

Duravis??? Have never heard of them, will look them up. As for Hercules, had a cheap set on a dodge Dakota back in the 90's and I mean "cheap". Didn't last long. Most recent experience with them are their 255/70R22.5 semi tires, don't like them either they don't wear very well at all in our applications.

It is a costly conversion, but may be worth considering if you want a high milealge tire, have you looked into doing 19.5's?
That's too bad about the M54, sounds like it would be just what I am looking for.

Duravis is just a Bridgestone name - Bridgestone seems to be one of those companies that nobody raves about, but nobody has anything bad to say about them either.

As for the Hercules, I will stay away from them.

I have been looking at 19.5's for quite a while. I just can't get over the high initial cost. My brother bit the bullet last year and got a set of tires and wheels - he is loving them.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM

That's too bad about the M54, sounds like it would be just what I am looking for.

Duravis is just a Bridgestone name - Bridgestone seems to be one of those companies that nobody raves about, but nobody has anything bad to say about them either.

As for the Hercules, I will stay away from them.

I have been looking at 19.5's for quite a while. I just can't get over the high initial cost. My brother bit the bullet last year and got a set of tires and wheels - he is loving them.
Yes it is too bad about the 54's, I just called the guy who I used to buy all mine from and he said they were indeed discontinued. Sorry I'll try not to recomend discontinued items in the future.

I've had good and bad experience with Bridgestone. Nothing to turn me away from them, or make me buy them as a first choice. So I know what you mean on them.

I decided against the 19.5's myself a year ago because of that initial cost.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I ran BFG Commercial T/A's in te stock 235/85/16, on my truck for about 6 years, probably 100K km's? They started dying last summer, center bands coming apart and tires bulging, but never had any flat or failure. Did a lot of towing with these tires over the years, so lots of hard miles as well

Good straight line hwy tire, and I got great mileage with them.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
I've had Michelin XTLs load range E for several years now with no complaints. I'd have to look up the miles but they've worn perfectly with minimal rotations.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
80K tread wear on a tire on a 1 ton diesel seems like asking a lot.
100% agree with Oli here. I guess if you never tow, aren't driving aggressively, and rotate every 6k miles who knows. I personally like to run BFG AT's. Great tread life and call me old school but I live the white letters look

Quick Reply: Time For New Tires