1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time to admit defeat

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to admit defeat

After installing an electric fan a little over a year ago I have given up on it. It has always done a decent job but now with all the mods I have done it just cannot keep up. I helped a friend move over the weekend and I had a 22' enclosed car trailer full of household type items. I had the ac on and I was cruising about 50mph and she was getting hot. I pulled over because I thought something happened to the fan but it was running and just was unable to keep up. I turned off the ac and I got the temp under control. Last night I moved a little 8n ford tractor for a friend and it got hot on me because the 50 amp breaker blew. The trailer was 4,000 pounds and I dont know what the tractor weighed but the fan was on steady and never went off till it blew the breaker. Today i was pulling the same 4,000 pound trailer empty and the fan was keeping up but after it turned on the temp just stayed right there and never came down. Then it blew the breaker about every 5 minutes. I am done!!! I dont know if the breaker is getting weak or if something else is going on. So tonight I put the stock fan and shroud back on before I hurt something. When I get some extra money I might put a new relay and a bigger breaker in and give it another try but I think that the fan just cant handle cooling the motor after all the mods. It seemed to do ok when the motor was stock but not anymore. Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that sucks.

On other hand, check your PM's spanky
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM

ok zippy!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM

How old is your radiator? water pump?

a new 91.5-93 style water pump made quite a difference on the 93, and if you look down in the radiator like every core has this build up of white junk on it and is almost completely clogged LOL, stays at about 1/2 gauge when crusing
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (03-22-2016)
Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM

The rad is less than a year old and the water pump is only a few months.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM

oh well that sucks did you notice if the water pump impeller was closed or open impeller. the closed ones are way better with the little ring around the end

napa tried to give me an open impeller one at first like what a non i/c truck would have stock and i was like NOPE and got one from advanced auto it showed the picture of it.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM

I got mine from autozone it was the closed impeller type.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm gonna have to say the fan/wiring is going south. 50A is ALOT!!! What kinda fans are they?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 PM

It is a single fan from a 93 ford taurus. Everywhere I looked says that they draw alot of amps but all list different numbers so I am not sure what it really draws. It killed a 40 amp relay in minutes when I was first getting it setup now I have a 70 amp relay and it still gets hot.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 PM

WOW, what gauge wiring you got running it? Everything soldered?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 PM

I am running 10ga wiring. Not soldered but all crimp on and shrink wrapped.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Sounds like the brushes are going out. That fan does draw a lot of amps though. Do you have your relay outside of the engine compartment? I was burning them up too until I pushed the relay through the hole in the radiator support so that it was in the cooler air in front of the radiator.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 PM

I would suggest soldering everything if you ever go back to an electric fan. Also Mhuppertz has a good Idea for air flow across the relay. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say the fan was going out. The factory wiring for the 93 ford torus uses a 60Amp fues so it should have been good enough for your truck...Well I think it should have.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
oh well that sucks did you notice if the water pump impeller was closed or open impeller. the closed ones are way better with the little ring around the end

napa tried to give me an open impeller one at first like what a non i/c truck would have stock and i was like NOPE and got one from advanced auto it showed the picture of it.
Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I got mine from autozone it was the closed impeller type.

This is the first that I have read of there being two different types of water-pumps.

Can someone post side-by-side pictures showing the difference, please ??

Do these better style pumps fit all years as a direct bolt-in ??

As for the electric fan situation :

I think you have an electrical issue with either your un-soldered wiring or the fan motor itself going bad.

Most of the Ford guys are using TWO Taurus fans behind the HUGE Ford diesel radiators and pulling really heavy trailers with no problems.

Can you squeeze two of the Taurus fans in there ??

Another option is the HUGE single electric fan from certain models of the Lincolns, MK-VIIIs I believe; those are the really bad boys of the fan world, with nothing else coming close to their performance.

The only drawback is that the motor is quite deep/long/thick/whatever; and, best I remember, when I was measuring, there just isn't enough clearance between the radiator and engine for them to clear.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 AM

moving the relay out of the engine compartment is a good idea I never thought of that. The only problem with that is tht the added wire creates more resistance in the wires. The fan i have is from a 93 taurus with a 3.8 it is the same as the fan in the Mark VIII. The motor is only about 6 months old. I am betting that the relay is the cause of the trouble I am having now. I dont think that it helps my situation any having the pump cranked up and the dennyT fuel pin. It seems that as soon as the egt's start to climb that the temp climbs to and the fan cant keep up. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Time to admit defeat