Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Those of you running 7x10s (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/those-you-running-7x10s-319354/)

dan123dbl 09-19-2014 09:15 PM

Those of you running 7x10s

I've been battling to tune my daily driver work truck with the time I have after a days work and seem to be having difficulties.

Those of you running 7x10s, did you have to bump your timing drastically to have these run clean? I've been bumping my timing up and can't get rid of my low boost smoke on acceleration. If I put my foot into it under 2000rpm it'll haze quite a bit more than i'd like and feels like it doesn't really have the power it should. It seems to be better with my ksb energized that's why I'm thinking I might need to advance my timing a tooth.

However, I've been reading a bit and saw that since these are 7 holes they need less static timing to run as clean as a 5x12 or something similiar would (5 hole)

I keep reading how clean these are to daily drive and I'm just not experiencing that at all.

My mods are in my sig and I have my smoke screw up flush with the afc cap and my starwheel as high as it'll go.

I have checked for boost leaks and could not find any. I've tested my he351ve at both 6cm and 9cm positions.

cougar 09-20-2014 12:09 PM

I ran 7X10's on my 91.5 5 speed. I was running a 62/65/13 turbo, lpplp, an M&H M2 pin, and M&H dynamic timing device on stock timing. Trying to get rid of the haze I made a .120" spacer to go under the AFC cap to get more up, didn't help. Finally went back to the stock pin without the spacer. Got rid of the haze and would only smoke briefly until the turbo caught up. I kept the injectors and lift pump after the truck was wrecked and plan to put them on my 92,,,,,, some day.

dan123dbl 09-20-2014 07:26 PM

How did your truck act shifting up a hill? Mine will smoke like a train trying to shift up a good sized hill if I give it any more than 1/8th throttle. That's shifting gears at 2400rpm.

Does a 62/65/13 spool similar to an he351ve?

cougar 09-21-2014 10:53 AM

Unloaded, not much. Pulling a heavy trailer, a puff of black smoke then a light haze.
As far as the turbos, I believe the HE351 spools faster but does not move nearly the same amount of air as the 62/65/13 I had. Mine did have a slight lag, but then again no where near the lag the original H1C with the 21cm exhaust housing had.
I'd go back to the stock fuel pin and retune. See what that does for you.

dan123dbl 09-22-2014 03:25 PM

I went back to the stock pin with the side that has the least amount of no boost fuelling. Still same problem, can't accelerate up a hill without smoking. Even keeping it in 4th at 1900rpm going up a hill it was hazing and got to 1000 egt.

I tried putting my other fuel pin in backwards, which would make the slide pin not be able to come out at all and I still had the same problem accelerating and shifting..

All this sounds like a major boost leak to me but I just can't find it even with it pressurized to 30psi..

Montana2x2 09-22-2014 04:55 PM

Does the he351ve have a waste gate and is opening too soon?

dan123dbl 09-22-2014 04:59 PM

There is no wastegate on the he351ve. This is the turbo on 08+ trucks. I have the housing set around 9cm and I can control it from inside the cab using a potentiometer until I have a sensor to open the size according to boost.

It's extremely smokey for having it at such a small housing imo.

cougar 09-23-2014 09:22 AM

What thickness washers did you use when installing the injectors?
Who did you get the injectors from?
What is the pop pressure and spray angle?
Sounds like a timing issue to me. The above questions relate to timing and fuel placement.

dan123dbl 09-23-2014 09:26 AM

I used the smallest washers (0.20 I believer?)
I got the injectors from Eric at the Hungry Diesel
I forget the pop pressure but the spray angle is 145*

I'm confident the injectors are good because this is my 3rd set trying to fix this problem and Eric make quality injectors.

I've had my timing in all posible positions without jumping a tooth. I don't like how it feels with it right to the head, not much low end power and it is clangy as ^#!^&.

I think I'm going to replace some more boots as that's the only other option I can think of.

Rick 12v CTD 09-25-2014 12:57 PM

It still smokes with the vanes completely closed down? The symptoms you're having are pretty common with bigger turbos and big injectors but you have neither of those. Maybe the vanes aren't where you think they are? How quickly does it build boost and at what rpm does it light the turbo if you step on it from a zero throttle low rpm condition to start.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

cougar 09-25-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dan123dbl (Post 3252350)
I used the smallest washers (0.20 I believer?)
I got the injectors from Eric at the Hungry Diesel
I forget the pop pressure but the spray angle is 145*

I'm confident the injectors are good because this is my 3rd set trying to fix this problem and Eric make quality injectors.

I've had my timing in all posible positions without jumping a tooth. I don't like how it feels with it right to the head, not much low end power and it is clangy as ^#!^&.

I think I'm going to replace some more boots as that's the only other option I can think of.

I have nothing good to say about him or his injectors, especially anything dealing with 7 hole injectors. His personal attacks caused me and others to leave 1stgen.org and cumminsforum.com a year ago. Throw them in the trash and get a good set from Jason Kidd at DAP.

dan123dbl 09-26-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD (Post 3252561)
It still smokes with the vanes completely closed down? The symptoms you're having are pretty common with bigger turbos and big injectors but you have neither of those. Maybe the vanes aren't where you think they are? How quickly does it build boost and at what rpm does it light the turbo if you step on it from a zero throttle low rpm condition to start.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm positive the turbo is where I think it is because if I close it up more the exhaust brake is on. And the exhaust brake works very well all the way closed so I know I'm between 9-6cm when I open it.

I busted out the soapy spray bottle with it being pressurized and I found bubbles coming out of almost everywhere (boots) I've replaced 80% of them now and will see how it improves.

I have nothing good to say about him or his injectors, especially anything dealing with 7 hole injectors. His personal attacks caused me and others to leave 1stgen.org and cumminsforum.com a year ago. Throw them in the trash and get a good set from Jason Kidd at DAP.
Have you had his 7 hole injectors before and have compared them directly to DAP's? He has been very patient with me so far and has even sent out 3 different sets of injectors for me to try and solve my vibration problem. (5x11vco,5x11sac,7x10sac)

cougar 09-26-2014 02:36 PM

Nope, he will never get my business. I don't care how good he claims his stuff is. He personally burned that bridge.