1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
This is as far as I've gotten today, and it'll sit this way, unfinished for a few days. The folks over at Tallon just made a slight boo boo and forgot to mail off my in line filter that I ordered last Thursday. Oh well, if this is their only fault, no big deal. I can tell that they're busy over there, dealing with the custom hot rod folks. Not gonna fault them for that mistake. Hopefully they overnight it.

So, in the pic, it shows the bench bled MC installed, brake stop switch reconnected, and the tie in of all vac lines, using a 3/8 x 3/8 x 1/4 tee fitting. Don't know if that accumulator get warm, so I anchored the vac lines to the firewall, keeping a safe distance.
Attached Thumbnails Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics-image.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:16 PM

The stainless braided high pressure line from booster to steering gear unit, all installed. It's the one wrapped in the brightest blue. So, my only loose end, is the high pressure from the power steering pump to the booster.

I know a lot of the custom car folks like that stainless braided, for not only the longetivity of the hose(my first concern), but also a lot for the looks. Though I take pride in my work and do want the installs to come out pleasing to the eye, I always end up covering the stuff in loom, or wrap pieces of tubing as a way to prevent chaffing. Just when I think I have all hoses and tubing isolated from one another, I always, always come across some form of chaffing, which will eventually lead to hose failure. So I protect it. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but one of the concerns I had about HB conversions, was if I had a leak or a rupture from a faulted hose in the PS fluid system, what would happen while I was heading down a grade at high speed, and traffic came to a halt? No brakes and no steering! So, if any of you wonder if I've invested in the loom industry, there's the reason, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics-image.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Coming along nicely Augie. I may have to come find you once you get it all figured out and let you install mine!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
Coming along nicely Augie. I may have to come find you once you get it all figured out and let you install mine!
Kinda embarrassed to say this, as less than a month ago I was preaching the word "SCEEERED"! I remember MKnittle being calm about this HB conversion thing, in his own way letting me know that it's really not that hard.

Well, the install part, other than rebuilding the brake lines to the master cylinder, is actually not only easy, but kinda fun.
The hardest part, I believe, would be the sourcing of the components and fittings. If you like treasure hunts, then be prepared to do so, as others on here have. Looking back at the whole thing, now that I understand it better, I would definitely do what TCows did and reseal a junk yard find, and make it new again.

I've seen what type of projects you handle, Landen, you can definitely do this one.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
mknittle (04-29-2017), thrashingcows (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Kinda embarrassed to say this, as less than a month ago I was preaching the word "SCEEERED"! I remember MKnittle being calm about this HB conversion thing, in his own way letting me know that it's really not that hard.

Well, the install part, other than rebuilding the brake lines to the master cylinder, is actually not only easy, but kinda fun.
The hardest part, I believe, would be the sourcing of the components and fittings. If you like treasure hunts, then be prepared to do so, as others on here have. Looking back at the whole thing, now that I understand it better, I would definitely do what TCows did and reseal a junk yard find, and make it new again.

I've seen what type of projects you handle, Landen, you can definitely do this one.
HEY. I resealed mine too. I came up with using a calking tube spout for a seal installation tool!!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:35 PM

That's right you did! My bad!!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:57 PM

That's right you did! My bad!!
LOL just had to give you some crapola bro.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
So is the conversion worth it. The work I mean. The reason I ask is because my brakes r the typical pump it ounce then u got brakes. I got other probs to but won't hijack the thread. I grew up with old fords and chevys and dodge trucks with no power brakes. So maybe I'm just used to it. Some body did bypass the abs stuff n the rear of my truck though. Gotta be careful when it rains. Lol
Old 04-30-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dan s
So is the conversion worth it. The work I mean. The reason I ask is because my brakes r the typical pump it ounce then u got brakes. I got other probs to but won't hijack the thread. I grew up with old fords and chevys and dodge trucks with no power brakes. So maybe I'm just used to it. Some body did bypass the abs stuff n the rear of my truck though. Gotta be careful when it rains. Lol
In a word, Yes. It is worth it. in my opinion. better brakes with a solid feel.
I think I have around $200 into mine. $20 for a pick n pull booster, $20 for a reseal kit, $50 for a ton Chevy master cylinder and hoses and fittings.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
In a word, Yes. It is worth it. in my opinion. better brakes with a solid feel.
I think I have around $200 into mine. $20 for a pick n pull booster, $20 for a reseal kit, $50 for a ton Chevy master cylinder and hoses and fittings.
That's it Mark, rub it in, LOL!!

Dan, if you're a handy, mechanically, and tenacious type of fellow, in the words of The dude in Waterboy movie -" YOU CAN DO IT!"

I lack the tenacious part, and suffer from frustration not knowing which parts or fittings to get. That's why I opted for a pre made kit.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM

That's it Mark, rub it in, LOL!!

Dan, if you're a handy, mechanically, and tenacious type of fellow, in the words of The dude in Waterboy movie -" YOU CAN DO IT!"

I lack the tenacious part, and suffer from frustration not knowing which parts or fittings to get. That's why I opted for a pre made kit.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Its not that i can't handle it, it's the matter of finding time to get it done!
thrashingcows (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
If I do it I would just order the kit like u did ragu. But it will be down the rode a bit for me. I got a lot of other stuff to do first. (I ant starting my wife's house next week.). I got a garage first. Lol
Old 04-30-2017, 05:21 PM

As far as saying if it's worth it, I won't know till I'm all done. I predict being done, with all bleeding and installs, by this coming Wednesday. Will let you know, then.
mknittle (04-30-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan s
Worth every second, drop of sweat and $$$.

Quick Reply: Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics