1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tailgate Lock?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Came across a dually that had a New Tailgate that had never been used .And what they do it on the right side they put a rivet so it still lower's down but you can't remove the gate unless the rivet is gone .Unless you know it's there you can't figure out why gate won't lift up.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by RamGuy84
Came across a dually that had a New Tailgate that had never been used .And what they do it on the right side they put a rivet so it still lower's down but you can't remove the gate unless the rivet is gone .Unless you know it's there you can't figure out why gate won't lift up.
Mr Ram guy,
The reason they put a rivet on the duallys is to prevent you from removing the tailgate without first reading the FSM to know that you have to first disconnect the wiring behind the left side tailight for the clearance and marker lights on the bottom of the tailgate, if you were to try and remove the tailgate you could easily sever the harness that passes through the left side pivot shorting out your rear lighting system.

Also did you know that it is illegal to drive your dually upon any public highway with the tailgate lowered or removed unless you provide supplemental clearance and ICC marker lights on the rear most end of your truck.
This would be a DOT violation, this is the same reason why only duallys or trucks with dual wheels have 5 cab clearance and ICC lights, they are required by law to be there.
Jim
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Hey Jim.
I have a second after-market tailgate I use for towing the fiver. It's an open design made with 1" square tubing. It has a dip in the middle to clear the kingpin when hooking up. On a level surface it's about 1" below the pin when the pin will hit the hitch just right.

Not a problem getting a wire harness through the bottom tube, but what should I use for lights? What are the requirements for marker and clearance lights on the back?
Old 12-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
That is exactly how it works, thanks for explaining its operation.

You can use specialty hardware on it and make it virtually impossible to remove, there are all kinds of security head fasteners from Security Torx, Bolts with seemingly no heads to Snake Eye bolts where even the experienced thief would give it up and move on.

If you have even a decent tailgate especially of the LE variant they are worth more than gold.

Did you know on an LE variant the Tailgate Appliqué (stainless steel panel) 5 years ago cost $735.00 available only from the dealer.

I am glad people are still finding my ideas useful.

Jim
The LE applique on my tailgate isn't perfect but is in pretty decent shape. Pretty pricey chunk of aluminum! I've been thinking of swapping it with one of the gates that has the embossed "Dodge Ram" on it. I sort of like those better. I've got pics of it on my build thread " 1992 W250 resurrection and modding".
Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes Jim I knew that but I don't drive a Dually but I do have a dually tailgate on my truck thou .