1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stuck in the sand

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the RPM's don't increase when trying to get over the 4x. So I figured it must be power
so I turned up the fuel screw 1 turn, now it can get over the 4x. I'll drive it around and see how it does on MPG's. Now the big question is what did Omega in El Cajon do to the pump that it lost that much power and MPG's. I just hope this fixes the problem.
I drive like an old man cuz I am.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bbilt
Well the RPM's don't increase when trying to get over the 4x. So I figured it must be power
so I turned up the fuel screw 1 turn, now it can get over the 4x. I'll drive it around and see how it does on MPG's. Now the big question is what did Omega in El Cajon do to the pump that it lost that much power and MPG's. I just hope this fixes the problem.
Maybe the fuel screw wasn't adjusted properly, or it was turned up before and they reset it to where it should have been.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
One thing about these diesels is that unless you drive around with your foot in it all the time the mileage doesn't really change much with cranking up the IP for more power.

Mine was cranked to the max when I got it and it got about 18.5 MPG. When I replaced it with a stock tuned IP it still gets 18.5 MPG.

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-10-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 PM

Up date on low MPGs & low power. Turned up the fuel screw 1 full turn and gained the power to climb over the 4x4 in the driveway. So now test driving it for the fuel problem. Driving it normally, the low fuel light came on at 276 mile, not a good sign. Filled up and figured the mileage, down by 1 to 11 MPG.
Well just a WARNING about where the work was done.
NTG Racing and Omega of El cajon. Neither one would stand behind their work to solve the problem. And don't come back.
Searching for the a solution. Thanks guys for all your help
Bill in San Diego
Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Now the big question is what did Omega in El Cajon do to the pump that it lost that much power and MPG's.
They retarded the timing.

If the pump really is advanced from its original location (mark on pump closer to head of engine than mark on timing case), it is possible that the advance piston is jammed, or that the pump's pressure regulator is messed up.

It is also remotely possible that the fuel supply to the injection pump is restricted, but normally you would not notice this except at higher engine speeds where you would expect to see lower power and grey/white exhaust. Regardless, I would check for a clogged fuel filter, and kinked or clogged supply line from the filter to the injection pump.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Up date on low MPGs & low power. Turned up the fuel screw 1 full turn and gained the power to climb over the 4x4 in the driveway. So now test driving it for the fuel problem. Driving it normally, the low fuel light came on at 276 mile, not a good sign. Filled up and figured the mileage, down by 1 to 11 MPG.
Well just a WARNING about where the work was done.
NTG Racing and Omega of El cajon. Neither one would stand behind their work to solve the problem. And don't come back.
Searching for the a solution. Thanks guys for all your help
Bill in San Diego
Pablo checked and rechecked his work on your truck.
Clearly something is wrong but I wouldn't pin it on him or NTG.
I empathize with your frustration though.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Is it possible the timing gear skipped a tooth or two in the retarded direction.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Is it possible the timing gear skipped a tooth or two in the retarded direction.
I think yes,maybe a good test might be to push the pump to the head and see if it gets better...Mark
Old 04-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Pablo checked and rechecked his work on your truck.
Clearly something is wrong but I wouldn't pin it on him or NTG.
I empathize with your frustration though.
Just a heads up on how I was treated and the problem not resolved. I though it was a bad rebuild on the pump, but what do I know. Omega wouldn't talk to me about, talk to them they said.

Had the truck checked out at 3 other shops, the installation good & timing is advanced.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:56 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Unless they pulled the timing cover to ensure the gear is timed correctly and has not jumped teeth, or used a dial indicator in the center plug of the pump head, they didn't actually check timing. The marks on the pump boss vs. timing cover mean nothing if the gear is not correctly timed.
The following 2 users liked this post by PapeCAT:
edwinsmith (04-26-2018), mknittle (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Unless they pulled the timing cover to ensure the gear is timed correctly and has not jumped teeth, or used a dial indicator in the center plug of the pump head, they didn't actually check timing. The marks on the pump boss vs. timing cover mean nothing if the gear is not correctly timed.
I was told they used a dail indicator to set the pump. If the timing is off would the explain the lack of power? Loss of power and loss of MPGs has been the problem after the pump was rebuilt.

Thanks
Bill in San Diego