Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Steering shaft or steering box (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/steering-shaft-steering-box-302336/)

Werff 04-13-2012 04:53 AM

Steering shaft or steering box

Hi all,
My truck has a lot of slop in the wheel and the steering wheel is not sitting straight, more like in the 4 oclock position. How do you tell if the steering shaft or the steering box is causing the problem. Should both be changed out? Are there any preferred brands that are used? I see that Borgeson is talked about a lot. Just wondering if there are others that are comperable.

thanks

werff

Crossy's son 04-13-2012 07:16 AM

I would get the borgeson shaft, makes a big difference in how the truck drives. Usually when the wheel is sloppy and crooked it's the steering joint at the box, the joint will allow alot of play side to side, making you think it's the box.

Also, look at the plate that the steering box is mounted too, they often crack and cause the box to move back and forth. Get someone to turn the wheel with the truck off while you look at the plate, and all the mounting points where the steering box bolts to the plate, and where the plate mounts to the frame.

to check play in the box, this is what i do.....

cut the wheel all the way to the left, kneel down and grab the steering shaft JOINT, grab it right at the joint, rotating it back and forth and look at the pitman arm coming out of the box, this will delete the shaft out of the equation and you'll be able to see how much play your box has,

You can grab the shaft about 1/2 way up, then grab the joint itself and hold it still, and rotate it and you'll see the play in the joint where the shaft goes into it.

Here's the borgeson- http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...nt-flange.aspx

longshotranch 04-13-2012 02:33 PM

why would'nt you spend 50 bucks more for the heavy duty one and eliminate the rag joint

Werff 04-13-2012 07:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will mess around with it and see if its just the shaft. Longshotranch...can you give me some more info on getting rid of the rag joint?

werff

NJTman 04-13-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by longshotranch (Post 3097162)
why would'nt you spend 50 bucks more for the heavy duty one and eliminate the rag joint

If you eliminate the rag joint, and your cab mounts, rubber or steel housing have any flex to them at all, and you hit a reasonable size bump, you run the risk of breaking something in the column or having the set screws move downwards compressing the shaft in the process.

The rag joint helps take up excess movement between the gear and the column due to body movement.

james1 04-13-2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by longshotranch (Post 3097162)

The technician at Borgeson (Gil Evans; gil@borgeson.com) advised me that for an unlifted truck it is best to go with the rag joint unit.

Werff 04-14-2012 12:39 AM

So when I replace the steering shaft I have read that I should secure the steering wheel from moving. My question is for straightening out the steering wheel. Can I secure the wheel, remove the shaft, straighten out the steering wheel and then re-secure it?

simplysmn 04-14-2012 01:17 AM

Yes as long as you don't spin the steering wheel you will be ok .

MARF75 04-14-2012 03:54 AM

Not sure how far you want to go with it but, NJTman has a great thread on here about upgrading to a reverse rotation steering box from a mid 70's Dodge truck.:cool:

NJT, you holding out on him or what?[laugh]

Werff 04-14-2012 04:10 AM

thanks for all the good information. I went ahead and ordered the steering shaft. Looking forward to seeing if that helps.

werff

Werff 04-14-2012 06:21 AM

Are any of you finding that along with the steering shaft, a steering stabilizer helps? Any particular brands? The only thing I can find for a 1st generation is on that looks like a horizontal shock absorber. I am thinking the metal bracket kind would work better?

werff

NJTman 04-14-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MARF75 (Post 3097312)

NJT, you holding out on him or what?[laugh]

Lol[laugh]

No.... I just don't want to promote what didn't get a whole lot of response from members on the board. Those who know how good it is, already have it installed in their trucks.

My truck steers unbelievable. I'm so happy with what I did, and mopar1973 Paul can affirm to this, as he drove my truck after the conversion.

longshotranch 04-14-2012 07:53 AM

I figured there was a good reason why you guy's were'nt promoting that heavy duty one. Thanks

Werff 04-15-2012 09:49 PM

The reverse steering box sounds like a really good idea, but for now I am going to have to fix what I got. Anyone have a good steering stabilizer that they have been using?

thanks
werff

sootnsmoke 04-15-2012 10:12 PM

If you do find the majority of your play is in the factory coupling you can use the available steering shaft rebuild kit. Here is the kit I am installing in our 91 later this week. I got it at auto zone for $8.00

Part:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/da-26059-425-253.aspx