1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering gearbox problem

Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering gearbox problem

Longtime lurker - first time poster

Did a complete rebuild of the front end. New ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, springs, shocks, bushings etc. Used all Moog parts from Rockauto. The only part I bought local was the steering gearbox because of shipping costs and core return etc. I bought a lifetime warrantied box from Autozone. Everything installed good, I followed the advice mostly of the searched posts and got everything put together and took it to the local shop for an alignment.

I got it back and there was definitely something wrong with the way it steered. Steering is ok going straight. Feels different than before with all the worn parts. Turns out the tires are turning too far and are hitting the sway bars in both directions. Did I assemble something wrong? Did I get a steering box without steering stops? Is there a steering stop adjustment?

Most things over the years of lurking I can find an answer by doing a search and I thank all the posters for there collective wisdom. This one I cannot find any information about.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtime64
Longtime lurker - first time poster

Did a complete rebuild of the front end. New ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, springs, shocks, bushings etc. Used all Moog parts from Rockauto. The only part I bought local was the steering gearbox because of shipping costs and core return etc. I bought a lifetime warrantied box from Autozone. Everything installed good, I followed the advice mostly of the searched posts and got everything put together and took it to the local shop for an alignment.

I got it back and there was definitely something wrong with the way it steered. Steering is ok going straight. Feels different than before with all the worn parts. Turns out the tires are turning too far and are hitting the sway bars in both directions. Did I assemble something wrong? Did I get a steering box without steering stops? Is there a steering stop adjustment?

Most things over the years of lurking I can find an answer by doing a search and I thank all the posters for there collective wisdom. This one I cannot find any information about.
Wow! That is a long lurk . What rig do you have? Fill out your signature so that we know what we a dealing with. On my W250 4X4 there are stop bolts right in front of the front U-joints. Both of mine are broken. That said it doesn't hit anything, but I have a fairy new redhead unit...Mark
Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 PM

Did you note which way is up on the center link when you took it apart? When I did this same process on my truck, I installed the center link up side down. this resulted very hard steering when turning more the 1 full turn of the steering wheel in either direction.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 AM

I thought I did a signature. Must not have saved it correctly. Try again.
It is a mostly stock 2wd extra cab 8 foot box. D250 LE
I did pay attention to the center link. It only would fit one way.
I will double check it this weekend. It is at the alignment shop until I/we figure out what is wrong.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
If the internal stops in the gear are set wrong that could be the problem.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:29 PM

It is possible to install the centerlink upside down, I know, I did it. After doing all the work, I took it to an alignment shop to get it aligned, told them about the work , and that the truck didn't want to turn.

They called about an hour later said the center link was installed upside down.

Anyway, I had them turn it over, and all was well.

I still have sloppy steering even after changing everything but the steering gear and the steering column. Next change is the steering gear. I was planning on buying the steering gear from O'reily's, because shipping one from RockAuto is a bit pricey.

Any way good luck, let us know if you figure it out.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,569 Posts
I would buy one from RedHead steering out of WA.. Ask for Steve and tell him Oliver sent you.
He will take care of you and you will get a good steering box in return rather than a crappy parts store "re-build" which is more like just a re-paint.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
I'd hit up Ryan at BlueTop Steering as a cheaper & I daresay slightly better machined alternative, and ask him for his 15:1 box.

Yes, yes, I know 18:1 is "suggested" for our Cummins, but you have to try the 15:1 to compare it to the 18:1, I've tried both.

You can tell Ryan that Chip sent ya, but it won't get you a discount, just his excellent feedback re your specific needs :-D
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Friday I called the Moog tech hotline and the tech rep sent me some drawings of the steering assembly. Even he blamed the steering box and said he did not think it would assemble incorrectly. Well this weekend I did some investigation and compared the drawings to the truck. gamiller31 was correct. The center link was flipped. I remember during assembly holding it in place and seeing that it looked like it would hit the cross member. Even yesterday when flipping it, it looked like things would not fit but it all went together.

Afterward the truck drives straight and steers good and no tire interference. It is at the shop to double check the alignment and I should be good to go. I will run the autozone gearbox as it seems now that it was not the issue. The actual steering stops are the linkage/hub section stopping on the lower edge of the control arm - not in the gearbox. If I have any problems with the gearbox I will look into the other suggestions.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Glad it worked out, and you're back to enjoying your truck.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Thats good. If the autozone one ever fails, do yourself a favor and get a Redhead. Those things have the smoothest gears I have ever used. My wife said to me once not knowing the work I had done, "How come your steering is like butter?"