1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering box, pitman arm, drag link, tranny mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Steering box, pitman arm, drag link, tranny mounts

Afternoon gents... I hope I got all those pieces named correctly.

So I'm taking a quick look see under my old piece checking out the lay of the land around the tranny pan ... looking where the wires go so I can identify what I need to with voltmeter... still thinking about this OD problem and such... and a few questions have come up

1. Tranny is mounted to frame on 2 rubber isolators and and piece of steel plate then 2 bolts closer to the center of tranny ... if that makes sense. My rubber isolators are cracked and really squashed. Replace?

2. Best way to clean off years of road grime grease and junk ... so dropping the tranny pan and checking wires is a little bit cleaner?

3. Noticed my steering box is wet on both ends , where shaft goes in and where pitman arm knuckle comes out ... of course covered in grime . So I start cleaning it up a little with a rag and the pitman arm moves when I clean the connection on the top side of steering box ... cleaning with a rag and twisting motion I can see the pitman arm moving half inch maybe more.
Drag link moves and I can see drivers side tire barely move in/out... this CAN'T be good?

So I grab hold of drag link and rotate it... like from 4 to 12 to 8 on the a clock face...

Am I flirting with disaster or is that normal movement in those parts?

Start throwing stones if you must!!!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
I can help with numbers 1&2.
1. Can't remember the transmission mount isolator bushings part numbers, but I believe there are two pieces to a set, and you'll be needing two sets. Go with the Anchor brand mounts. If you do a search on here on Anchor transmission mounts, the part numbers will be brought up. That's how I did mine.
Energy Suspensions also makes those transmission mounts for our trucks. Order those online.
2. Any quality cleaner degreaser, diluted with 25% water will work. But you need to power spray that stuff off, not just with a garden hose.
If you don't own or have access to a pressure washer, go to your local car wash stall and power wash it off there. I believe their pressure wands are able to full spray with the degreasing solution in it.
Another good product from your parts house is the spray on, foamy engine cleaner degreaser. Probably will need four cans.

Back to the transmission mounts. If your thinking of replacing those right away, consider replacing your motor mounts as well. When you do that search for the Anchor brand, the part numbers for the motor mounts will come up, also. As far as instructions on how to replace, BC847 did a write up in the sticky. That's what I followed.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Thanks ragu... I forgot to ask about the 2 center bolts on the steel plate that secure the transmission ... both of mine are wobbly loose. The nuts are rusted tight but in assuming loose is not correct?!?!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
If in doubt-replace. Just the fact that you mentioned wobbly and rust, replace them.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Use the Anchor brand mounts.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Degreaser

Quick tip for you guys, you can make that foaming degreaser yourself at a fraction of the cost. Go to your local hardware store and get one of those plastic weed sprayer bottles(with the spray wand and pump handle). Use equal parts diesel\dawn dish soap\water mix in the bottle, shake, pressurize and spray.
Works good I have done a couple motors trannies and T/C's. Works best if you let it sit and can keep spraying it. Also once you have sprayed a few times hit with a wire brush and it just melts.

Stu
Old 08-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by oly_fab
Quick tip for you guys, you can make that foaming degreaser yourself at a fraction of the cost. Go to your local hardware store and get one of those plastic weed sprayer bottles(with the spray wand and pump handle). Use equal parts diesel\dawn dish soap\water mix in the bottle, shake, pressurize and spray.
Works good I have done a couple motors trannies and T/C's. Works best if you let it sit and can keep spraying it. Also once you have sprayed a few times hit with a wire brush and it just melts.

Stu

So let me make sure I got this mixture right...
It is equal parts diesel fuel, Dawn dish soap and water.
Does it mix together from the Dawn soap being the emulsifier, or does it stay separate like oil and vinegar?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM

Very interesting

... is dawn soap the quintessential ingredient or just dish soap?

... i have a one gallon sprayer, so I need apx 5 pints of diesel, water, and dish soap?!?

... how far does this concoction go? Am I looking at a gallon for my tranny alone or more like a couple of degreasings of tranny , engine , t-case, hubs etc...
Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992

... i have a one gallon sprayer, so I need apx 5 pints of diesel, water, and dish soap?!?
Remember, 4 quarts in a gallon, 2 pints in a quart. That make 8 pints in a gallon.
If you mix 5 pints +5 pints +5 pints you will never get it all in a gallon sprayer.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Dawn contains petroleum-based ingredients -- it really is different from other brands of dishwashing soap...
Old 08-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I use Dawn as a final hand cleaner with water and a brush. The Platinum version (seems to be a bit more powerful) also works well in the toy hauler's black tank, rather than the usual perfume powder. Effective stuff.

For the pressure washer, ZEP Truck and Trailer Wash keeps the underside clean and works well on the RZR, too.

A $1 spray bottle of Awesome from the Dollar Store works great for smaller jobs and for a laundry pre spray. It literally kills grease.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
So let me make sure I got this mixture right...
It is equal parts diesel fuel, Dawn dish soap and water.
Does it mix together from the Dawn soap being the emulsifier, or does it stay separate like oil and vinegar?
It mixes but will separate overtime. I just keep shaking the bottle. I was looking at some spray cleaner and could see it was red and smelled like diesel so I just came up with my own.

Stu
Old 08-18-2017, 02:29 PM

Very interesting

... how far does this concoction go? Am I looking at a gallon for my tranny alone or more like a couple of degreasings of tranny , engine , t-case, hubs etc...
Dont have to be exact, I just put diesel in bottle then dawn and top off with water.

Stu

Last edited by oly_fab; 08-18-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: opps
Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
You got this concoction from the 1970's Music time period

Tony Orlando used fuel oil in his hair, and Dawn was his backup singers.

Where the water comes in ? Eh, I guess they were all caught naked in a Jacuzzi at some point....

I bet that's how it happened.....
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
You got this concoction from the 1970's Music time period

Tony Orlando used fuel oil in his hair, and Dawn was his backup singers.

Where the water comes in ? Eh, I guess they were all caught naked in a Jacuzzi at some point....

I bet that's how it happened.....

Of course it did! I know. I was there.

Quick Reply: Steering box, pitman arm, drag link, tranny mounts