Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Steering Box That Lasts (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/steering-box-lasts-295562/)

Stude4x4 09-27-2011 03:39 PM

Steering Box That Lasts

I did a search trying to see who has had good luck with which boxes. I didn't find a whole lot. Mine at 307K is a little sloppy. Actually its REALLY sloppy. I've heard most say don't waste the extra $$ and just get a NAPA. But they are a reman and I'm not sure how long they would last. I was thinking either a PSC or AGR box. AGR shows a new box that's built for daily driving, its called the SB2, but I don't know a price. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jake

thrashingcows 09-27-2011 03:54 PM

The W and D's both use the same box. Also the same box used on Chevy trucks. I think the W's wear out the box quicker generally due to the larger tires run on a 4x4. I bought a reman unit for my D350 off e-bay and have not had any issues with it. Heck at over 300K for a stcok unit I thik you got your moneys worth out of that one.

For the price of a reman I would change one out every 5 years if I thought it made a difference. I think the biggext problem with most power steering systems is a lack of fluid changes. Should be done every year, or two at the most. This alone will help prolong the life of the power steering system.

jimbo486 09-27-2011 03:58 PM

I've considered a PSC box as well. Borgeson makes boxes but I've heard they aren't so great.

92smokin blacky 09-27-2011 04:20 PM

My buddy has a borgeson box and isn't impressed with it. He already went through one so they sent him a new one under warranty. But $350 is kinda pricey still even with a 3 year or whatever warranty they have. I also need to change mine and know what one to get. I think Redhead makes a decent one I've heard??? haven't heard much good about napas.

aicomp 09-27-2011 06:29 PM

Bought mine on Ebay and have had no problems.

ChrisLib 09-27-2011 08:01 PM

Havent used em myself but I have read good things about these folks (here and elsewhere)
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

93flatbed 09-27-2011 08:41 PM

Why not rebuild yours?
I've had problems with pcs, but on different applications.

BearKiller 09-27-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisLib (Post 3025043)
Havent used em myself but I have read good things about these folks (here and elsewhere)
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Those guys have a strong following on the Ford boards that I frequent.

I have personally called the guy a few times, along with some of my friends also occasionally calling him, and he has always known just what we needed to do to solve whatever steering issue we may have been having and knows enough about it to talk us through it on the phone.

When I ever get enough money ahead to replace the steering-gear on my Ford, they are the people who will be getting my money.
:cool:

Stude4x4 09-28-2011 01:25 AM

I'll call the guys at redhead and see what they offer. I think if I bought a new box, I would go with the AGR box. If I can scrape up the coin! I just don't like the idea of a rebuilt box from a parts store. What about A-1 Cardone from rock auto? I don't have any experience with that brand. Its a rebuilt also though. If I did the rebuild myself, any idea where I would find parts? Thanks again for all your input.

Jake

jimbo486 09-28-2011 02:19 AM

Jake, do you happen to know what an AGR box costs? Also, when you call Red-head, find out for us what a box from them typically runs after their remanufacturing process. The more I read about them and the work they do and have done, the more I'm leaning in their direction! :cool:

BearKiller 09-28-2011 06:09 AM

:peel: Has anyone ever looked into swapping on a steering-gear from a big truck, like maybe a Peterbilt, Western Star, MACK, or such ??

I have never driven a pick-up or DRW-ton that drove quite so good as even some of the crappiest big trucks I have driven.
:peel:

oilcan64 09-28-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486 (Post 3025161)
Jake, do you happen to know what an AGR box costs? Also, when you call Red-head, find out for us what a box from them typically runs after their remanufacturing process. The more I read about them and the work they do and have done, the more I'm leaning in their direction! :cool:

i got a box from redhead, havent put it on yet but real great people to deal with. ill look for the reciept when i go home on friday from school. i think it was something like 245 for the box.

bannerd 09-28-2011 07:34 AM

Yeah just send the unit to redhead and let them rebuild it. Good people!

Stude4x4 09-29-2011 01:26 AM

Ok, so I called redhead today and its $250 for a rebuilt box, plus $85 core charge. I found the AGR box on Summit for $370. I'm not sure which route i'm going to go yet. I'm also going to look into rebuilding it myself. I just need to find the parts and see how much they cost.

bggrndodge 09-29-2011 04:10 AM

The way I found to save my box, was to install cross over steering.... I replaced 4 or 5 boxes, then relized I needed to relieve some the pressure from the 38's. I did crossover and never changed a box out again.....