Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Speedo and cruise would not work for 2 miles? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/speedo-cruise-would-not-work-2-miles-292602/)

sootnsmoke 07-19-2011 12:35 AM

Speedo and cruise would not work for 2 miles?

I was driving down the freeway at 60 MPG and my speedo, odometer and cruise control stopped working for 2 miles. Then it all started working on its own. Is my VSS starting to go bad.....what else could be the cause of that?

wannadiesel 07-19-2011 06:09 PM

Check the connection down there, and make sure the VSS and adapter are both tight.

Onemoparnut 07-19-2011 08:48 PM

I had a similar problem and it was a bad wire connection at the vss.

sootnsmoke 07-20-2011 02:17 AM

Ok, I will check to make sure VSS and adapter are tight and wire connection is good.

Bob Beauchaine 07-20-2011 05:30 AM

Dodge had a TSB out regarding another potential cause of this problem. It was first noticed on the 4X4 but also applies to to the two wheel drive series equiped with Getrags.

The drive gear for the speedometer is sandwiched between two spacers. The spacers are held in place by the yoke nut at the back of the trans. You need to drop the drive line at the back of the trans and tigheten that nut to a 290 lbft torque reading. This is the only thing that keeps the drive gear from sliping on the output shaft. This can also cause the problems you describe - I know it happened to me. I have posted this on several posts on this forum and on other 1st Gen sites and it has solved more than a few speedo related problems on G360 equiped trucks. The nice part about this is it's free - just takes a little bit of your time.

Bob

sootnsmoke 07-20-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2996270)
Check the connection down there, and make sure the VSS and adapter are both tight.

Faith - Is what you state to check different than what Bob has mentioned regarding the drive gear slipping?

Chrisreyn 07-20-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke (Post 2996554)
Faith - Is what you state to check different than what Bob has mentioned regarding the drive gear slipping?

its very common for the wiring loom going to the VSS to work loose or become corroded/dirty causing a poor or intemitant connection, which will cause symptoms like you described..
try cleaning and tightening your electrical connections at the VSS first and IF that doesnt solve the issue, try Bobs suggestion.. I always like to try the simple/easy things first...[coffee]

wannadiesel 07-20-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke (Post 2996554)

Yeah, sometimes the whole VSS/adapter assembly comes unscrewed and falls off.

sootnsmoke 07-20-2011 11:26 PM

Ok, I had a few minutes to check it out. Wiring connection is very snug as well as the VSS/adapter. I will disconnect and clean out the terminal tomorrow. I agree, try the easiest possibilities first. If this becomes an intermittent issue I might replace the VSS first before looking into that TSB described, nut issue. My torque wrenches don't get even close to 290 lbs of torque. Heck, the torque spec on my dually 5/8 lug nights are 350 Lbs and that gets addressed with a 4 foot handle special torque wrench the Les Schwabs shops have LOL. Not sure where I could even procure a torque wrench for that spec locally.