Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   single click from the starter (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/single-click-starter-303943/)

grim 06-09-2012 03:03 PM

single click from the starter

So occasionally when i go to start my truck, Ill hear single click from the starter and it wont turn over.

normally what i do when that happens is pop the hood and jump the two terminals on the starter and it starts instantly. is this simply a bad connection or is it my starter? i feel like my starter is fine considering jumping the solenoid works fine.

i also installed a push button start and sometimes that dont work either. itll just do a single click as well.

Exekiel69 06-09-2012 03:38 PM

solenoid is bad or bad connections.

cougar 06-09-2012 04:48 PM

Yep, most likely the contacts in the starter solenoid.

MARF75 06-09-2012 06:41 PM

My truck did the same when I had a loose connection on the positive bat post

longshotranch 06-09-2012 08:26 PM

mine did that yesterday it was my pos batt cable was loose. speaking of that does any one know where to get a cable to replace the factory one?

93flatbed 06-09-2012 08:54 PM

Do a voltage drop on your cables. Anything over 400 milivolts is bad.
I built my own cables using double ~0~ cable with military style terminals. Be sure to solder all the terminals. A few years ago you could get new cables from dodge, but after I was quoted the price I decided to build my own. There are also websites that will build you cables if you don't have a ability or time.

This is all assuming that your cables are the problem. But the bolt drop test will let you know if that's the case. There have also been guys that find their ground cable has became loose at the block. Don't know how that happens but its free to check. Good luck.

BC847 06-09-2012 09:42 PM

As found in our Sticky: Rebuild your CTD starter

;)

Trebor 06-10-2012 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by grim (Post 3111057)
So occasionally when i go to start my truck, Ill hear single click from the starter and it wont turn over.

normally what i do when that happens is pop the hood and jump the two terminals on the starter and it starts instantly. is this simply a bad connection or is it my starter? i feel like my starter is fine considering jumping the solenoid works fine.

i also installed a push button start and sometimes that dont work either. itll just do a single click as well.

If jumping the starter solenoid works to start it then the next thing to check is the starter relay located on the LF inner fender.

grim 06-14-2012 07:03 PM

yeah its totally random. itll work every single time for a while then itll do it for a day. maybe for a couple days then back to normal. But yeah when i jump the two terminals on the starter, it fires up instantly very time.

When folks install a push button start where do they tap into to get the power or is it straight off the battery?

Ill check the relay but it seems like its not that cause it works most of the time.

GIT-R-DONE 06-15-2012 06:54 AM

Sounds like the battery connections might be bad, or the wires are bad.