1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Should I buy it!?!?!? 1991 3500

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Should I buy it!?!?!? 1991 3500

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been looking for a used truck to tinker with/use for hauling heavy equipment, and do dump runs. I found this locally. It is a 1991. It has power locks power steering, windows, tow package, its the LE 350 Manual dually trans, 2 wheel drive. It's just been registered to BC Canada from Aberta. It has New lower ball joints, idler arm, drag link, windshield. 320,000km. Very little rust. Take a look at the kijiji ad if you want. I am new to diesel trucks(have diesel tractor, mower). I will mainly use it in the summer, although would love it to be a snowmobile hauler but don't think it worthy of 200km trips down sketchy logging roads. What do you guys think? I've read about problems I could encounter. Seems like a fair price. Is there anything i'm missing. Anything you guys spot as troublesome. I'm going to look at it today and take it for a test run.

Ad with more pictures: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Connor
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been looking for a used truck to tinker with/use for hauling heavy equipment, and do dump runs. I found this locally. It is a 1991. It has power locks power steering, windows, tow package, its the LE 350 Manual dually trans, 2 wheel drive. It's just been registered to BC Canada from Aberta. It has New lower ball joints, idler arm, drag link, windshield. 320,000km. Very little rust. Take a look at the kijiji ad if you want. I am new to diesel trucks(have diesel tractor, mower). I will mainly use it in the summer, although would love it to be a snowmobile hauler but don't think it worthy of 200km trips down sketchy logging roads. What do you guys think? I've read about problems I could encounter. Seems like a fair price. Is there anything i'm missing. Anything you guys spot as troublesome. I'm going to look at it today and take it for a test run.

Ad with more pictures: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Connor
It is a D350,not a 3500. If it has the Cummins, which I believe that I can see the cummins emblem in one of the pics and that is the price, it is a no-brainer, get it fast, in my opinion...Mark
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanks Mark, yea I think 91 was 350d and 93 they started calling them 3500's. It is a cummins. I'm going to test drive it now and will pick it up tomorrow unless my untrained eye catches something or someone on here say NOOOO!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
It looks like the clutch pedal is sagging which is a common problem and easy to fix. That's a good price in U.S. dollars but I don't know what the exchange rate is right now. I'd say GO for it!

Edwin
Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
It looks like the clutch pedal is sagging which is a common problem and easy to fix. That's a good price in U.S. dollars but I don't know what the exchange rate is right now. I'd say GO for it!

Edwin
The CND is worth .75 USD's today, that is 4125 USD's, I would say buyt it for sure...Markk
Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Not sure if you'd call this the subframe. It attaches to a thin contoured Ibeam that supports the cab. It's rusted to the point of being flexible and crumbly. It's the only real rust I saw.

Diff meeting the drive shaft was spitting fluid all over the gas tank etc. Probably an easy fix?

A lot of fluid under the truck. Engine bottom was wet. Couldnt see any place it was leaking from the engine. Checked the inside bay thoroughly but didn't have a flashlight for underneath?

Frame looked great. Minor surface rust.

No smoke coming out of blowby and no hose attached to it? Smoke was coming out of the oil fill cap when removed though. Not heaps but very noticeably.

Minor rust under visor but just on the surface

Same spot on other side.

Look good

Not sure what this is, hard to see from tiny photo. Took turbo hose off. Seemed strong, no play. Whistled nice after a smooth startup. No funny rattles running to full throttle and back down slowly

Looks clean. Nice oil
Old 09-04-2018, 09:01 PM

Truck drove really nice. Took it up to 120km. Kept straight, all interior was really nice, ac didnt work but heat did. No rattles or alignment issues. I think I'd have to get used to the breaks, modern disks are a whole different beast but felt really solid. This is in Canadian dollars btw.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith

Edwin
No play in the clutch, it does look sagged in the photo but wasnt while there?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
I think the price is fair, it's got some issues (we all do too) but will sell quickly.

​​​​​​
Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Only thing that bothers me is the cab mounts and gutter. I think the mounts can be replaced, not sure how much trouble/$$ though? Verify the rust above the windshield is surface and not bubbling through. It tends to start from the inside there and the visor might have worsened that?

BTW, '93 was the last of that body style so the 3500 started in '94.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
ill trade my gutter rot for your bubbles LOL
Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
That looks like a reasonably solid work truck. Cab & chassis usually have a very beefy frame. Is that a 7' cab/axle?

I think that's the first time I've seen the non-IC engine in a truck with the 91.5-93 grille and column!

Old 09-05-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Only thing that bothers me is the cab mounts and gutter. I think the mounts can be replaced, not sure how much trouble/$$ though? Verify the rust above the windshield is surface and not bubbling through. It tends to start from the inside there and the visor might have worsened that?

BTW, '93 was the last of that body style so the 3500 started in '94.
Thanks! I did poke at the inside as much as I could and didn't feel any soft spots. I'll tear out the panels if I get it and have a better look.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
That looks like a reasonably solid work truck. Cab & chassis usually have a very beefy frame. Is that a 7' cab/axle?

I think that's the first time I've seen the non-IC engine in a truck with the 91.5-93 grille and column!
Its definitely a beefy frame. Not sure about the cab/axle. Yea I don't really have a preference from i/c to non. I'll let leave it stock for now and really just work on cleaning it all up/combatting the litte rust it has.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict
Thanks! I did poke at the inside as much as I could and didn't feel any soft spots. I'll tear out the panels if I get it and have a better look.
I think I could easily cut out and clean up the cab sub frame. Theres a few tricky curves for my basic fab setup at home so I'd probly get a fab shop to supply the pieces that I'd put together.

Quick Reply: Should I buy it!?!?!? 1991 3500