1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Secret; Breakage saving device!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secret; Breakage saving device!

I would like to personally thank the engineers at Chrysler for their forethought in the preservation and the longevity of our truck's u-joints and rear axles. By intentionally installing the A518 and on top of that, a peachy non-lock up torque converter, I dont ever have to worry about things like broken ring and pinions, u-joints and most certainly respectful dyno numbers.
I watched in dismay, as a buddys truck, modded almost identically to mine, but with a 5spd, laid down 75 more hp and 250 more tq. on the dyno yesterday. Same tire, same gear, same mods.
If anybody needs me, I'll be out in the yard under my truck, air chiseling my auto out to make a place for the 4500.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM

I don't really mean to chuckle but the autos have always robbed a lot of power. I've drove a 1st gen similar to mine before and been amazing at how sluggist it was.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Oh, I know. The autos have always been a sacrifice of power for the ease of daily driving. The stress of watching the trans temp gauge move up as the skinny pedal goes down while towing heavy, as well as the dyno incident is finally going to get me motivated to do the swap. I've been collecting the parts for two years now. Humiliation sparks action!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Personally I like the comfort of the auto. It's nice to be able to just get in put it in drive and go and not to worry about pushing the clutch in if I get stuck in traffic. Its true the auto's rob quite a bit but if you build one right that number will be greatly reduced.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

I almost dread my auto, only bought it to makeit easy for the wife to drive, but she says its too big, funny thing is she drives a bus for the ymca ! I do regret not buying a stick, for controlled driving of the motor, and for the poor mpg I get from the auto. Heck, my old truck 5.7 gasser w a stick got better mpg
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brutalowner
I would like to personally thank the engineers at Chrysler for their forethought in the preservation and the longevity of our truck's u-joints and rear axles. By intentionally installing the A518 and on top of that, a peachy non-lock up torque converter, I dont ever have to worry about things like broken ring and pinions, u-joints and most certainly respectful dyno numbers.
I watched in dismay, as a buddys truck, modded almost identically to mine, but with a 5spd, laid down 75 more hp and 250 more tq. on the dyno yesterday. Same tire, same gear, same mods.
If anybody needs me, I'll be out in the yard under my truck, air chiseling my auto out to make a place for the 4500.
I feel your pain. On the other hand, maybe you two should line up at a dragstrip and see what happens? Assuming you have a somewhat built 518.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Actually, It's an original 220K+ trans. It gets oil drained via pan drain every engine oil change, and a change w/filter every other engine oil change. Other than a POT modification and adjusting the bands once a year, it does what it was supposed to do w/o a single problem-ever.
I agree with Free89, it's really nice to drive home after a hard days work, the wife and daughter can drive it with ease (although daughter's truck is a 4speed). But I dont want to spend money building it when it does give me a real reason, cause it'll still be an auto with no lock-up. Im a big fan of 727's in hotrods, hell, I've been 10.20's in a B-Body for almost 3 seasons with nothing but oil changes. But for towing and ultimate over the road durability, I think I'm better off with the stick. MPG is another reason. I could use that everyday.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Turning up governed RPM does wonders for these trucks with a stock converter . .
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM

well heres my opinion, instead of the nv4500 check into a 47RE that is a lock-up, because it is an easy swap, also who cares about the dyno, thats just bragging rights, if i was you think about the fact that with an auto you can race that five speed and probably smoke his tail, because you dont have to deal with the turbo lag every shift, also its much easier to build boost in the auto at the starting line, with just the brakes, compared to trying and feathering the clutch just to build up boost. also with the auto lock-up convertor you might have a fighting chance at fuel milage, seeing as it has a lower OD than the NV4500
Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 AM

OK gomerpile, Say I have a 47RE, or one available. Who makes a stand alone TCM for it? It is an electroniclly controlled trans, right? I can build the TCC control, but what about shift function?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brutalowner
OK gomerpile, Say I have a 47RE, or one available. Who makes a stand alone TCM for it? It is an electroniclly controlled trans, right? I can build the TCC control, but what about shift function?
If your going to use a 47RE forget about controllers and use a manual valve body and 2 switches for lockup and overdrive. Or just use the 47RE for parts and make a 47RH out of it using the A518 overdrive section.

I would use a 47RH which has a hydraulic governor, then you would only need 2 switches. 1 for Overdrive and 1 for lockup. A 47RH is basically an A518 with a lockup converter.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM

You want a 47rh not the re. the rh's are not electronic the only thing you need is a toggle swotch for the OD and lock up. JD730 should chime in here he has one in his truck and he built it himself. He could tell you exactly what is needed, and if I'm not mistaken there is a right up in the sticky about it.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Looks like he beat me to it.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Free89W350
JD730 should chime in here he has one in his truck and he built it himself. He could tell you exactly what is needed, and if I'm not mistaken there is a right up in the sticky about it.
The first one I did started out life as a 47RE, used the front section, salvaged the overdrive internals and switched the output shaft and used the A518 tail housing. Had to put a bushing in the case where the connector comes through, RE's have a bigger hole for the larger dia connector. Also had to change to overdrive piston retainer because it has no provisions for the governor tubes to slip in.

As of last night I am putting together for another 47RH for another truck. With various upgrades. Going to be close to 400 rwhp.

Here's the link to the sticky write up on installing one I did.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=114702
Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM

So, if I have a Goerend internal'd 518 and a 2nd gen bellhousing, could I just buy a lockup converter and starter and put it in my truck? From what I hear the 47RH is just a 518 with a lockup converter, so I'm guessing that with the right parts I could bolt on a lockup to my current tranny. Right now I have a Goerend converter and it works good, but I'm really starting to want a lock up. Don't have the cash to buy a whole new tranny, though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Secret; Breakage saving device!