1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Reverse Rotion Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Great info, Nick

Really cool talking to you the other day.....

TTYS

T.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks PapeCat
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
G
And when T. Man gets his box back from RedHead it will be a whole new animal anyway so that variable is out the door.)
FWIW,

I'm not going with that rebuilder, as I found them to be completely unreasonable about returning calls or getting information out of them. After 2 emails and 4 phone calls I'm done. Don't want my business..... then so be it. There are other reputable manufacturers out there as well.

There's another outfit up in Portland called Pro Steering Systems 800-650-4145, who rebuilds them, completely, Including upgrading the bearings as the other outfit does, at a lot lower cost. They're reasonable, pleasant to talk to, and are willing to take my core and rebuild it, sending me nice new unit without any issue of disrespecting a prospective customer by not even returning any calls. Their part # for the gear is P100.

Another outfit that does the same service, but includes a Lifetime warranty on the rebuild is Power Steering Services out of MO 417-864-6676 . His Name is Chip and the guy is SUPER Knowledgeable!!! He does mostly custom work, but the guy is a powerhouse of information.... He's been rebuilding these boxes and customizing them longer than I've been alive..

I'm sending my gear to PSS in MO and have Chip do it. He's going to upgrade the steering ratio to make my truck steering response quicker.

My Gear went out UPS today....

8 weeks lead time

T.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM

WoW

Two months out OUCH,oh well.
For sake of mind I'd probably do the same thing have built buy a pro,,, not some 20yr old crack smoker in the back room at auto-zone.

I'll be unwreching the parts out of a 73 W200 in cow field down the road for me this weekend.
Hopefully mine will be a working unit if not I know of a cornbinder with same gearbox. If not redheads is hour down the road for me. Plus hes got one on the shelf.

while i was at redheads I did ask him about the pumps, Its a GM system on both trucks the 72-77&89-93 he said there both basicly the innards with same flow rating. So the cummins pump will work on the RRSB.

others in use http://snakeriver4x4.com/psteering.html
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey Bob,

Just realized you were in the Northwest. I lived in Lake Stevens for a stint while working at paine field. I have family in Twisp and Wenachee as well...

As far as the boxes go- T Man was talking about having the "input" shaft replaced with the spline that will bolt in to our trucks. That would solve the steering shaft issue.

edit: nice find on the snake river 4x4 page. Looks like this design is being used for other applications... +1 for adding clout to the crowd making this mod.

And WOW 90 bucks for that cast cradle/bracket?! I can buy these all day for under 20 bucks at the junkyards.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by bobva
WoW

Two months out OUCH,oh well.

I'll be unwreching the parts out of a 73 W200 in cow field down the road for me this weekend.
Hopefully mine will be a working unit if not I know of a cornbinder with same gearbox. If not redheads is hour down the road for me. Plus hes got one on the shelf.

while i was at redheads I did ask him about the pumps, Its a GM system on both trucks the 72-77&89-93 he said there both basicly the innards with same flow rating. So the cummins pump will work on the RRSB.

Two months was the "approx" time. If things work out, maybe less. I really don't need it that soon anyway, as I'm not doing this till spring.

Redheads Neal finally called me back, albeit too late, as I sent my gear UPS today elsewhere. He said a standard rebuild was somewhere around $265. plus core Seems fair.. Oh well. Hope yours is as good as they say.. me too !

Hope you don't get cow poop on your shoes or clothes. Your dog will go ape on you when you get home.....

Papecat said it works, and since he's done several of these.... I believed him from the start.... Dude knows his steering...

Let us know how it goes...

Don't forget the drag link. You need one from the early dodge as well.

T.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 AM

I'll be taking the dog with. Not to worried about poo I alwway take a chunk of kitchen flooring (linoleum) with, When you drop tools a bolts its eazier to find.

I found your guy in springfeild. VERY NICE gets me to thinkin whats a few more bucks.

Big Thanks to PapeCat.
I believed him from the start also GOOD MAN
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM

No problem guys. I am waiting to hear how the new steering gears treat you. The shops that are rebuilding them seem to know their stuff!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM

I'll be taking the dog with. Not to worried about poo I alwway take a chunk of kitchen flooring (linoleum) with, When you drop tools a bolts its eazier to find.

I found your guy in springfeild. VERY NICE gets me to thinkin whats a few more bucks.
Bob,

Great speaking with you today.

I'm sure Redheads can help you, and you can save $$ using the local guy. You won't get a "lifetime" warranty, but then again, you might not need it anyway.

Talk to Harvey with reference to changing the gear ratio to 3.5 turns lock to lock, vs the current 4 turns lock to lock. This will make the truck "feel" newer. .... but please go with his recommendations, as they know 99.99% more than I do.

I'm also taking your advice and having them change the input shaft spline to the new style (78-93) so that a standard Borgeson shaft will work... I'll be using the one universal @ the gear, with the standard rag joint @ the column. I don't want to alter the column flange (per your recommendation) as it works fine and allows for more cushion vs the dual joint..... and will be cheaper to buy the standard borgeson shaft too..

Thanks again for the update / tip on the steering column issue you had... I never knew and I'm glad you called me before I made that mistake.

T.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM

T

Nice talking to you.

Yes just do the single U joint
You dont want this it was a double https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t137320.html
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM

I'm sending my box to Chip at power Steering services to get a quick ratio conversion and the input changed to accept a borgeson shaft.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM

JUNK
Do I expect to much of used parts?
This clown is advertising mopar parts an with that is a 73 W200 Parting truck.
No phone # so I email him with a complete parts list of the things I need, mount, Gbox, intermediate shaft, pit, drag, pump, lines.

Couple days go I get a response hes got all the parts pulls but no drag link.125$ and he pulls them.
I figure ok beats me getting greasy and driving home.
Two days go by he cant pull them Ok what ever. I'll pullem no big deal.

I get there this afternoon he walks me to carcass of a truck no front clip axles gone springs in the dirt.
Looks like its been in that spot of ten years I walk around the heap look at the Mount its removed its gone sold to another guy a few years ago.
Gearbox darn thing looks like it came out of the ocean. When there that ugly theirs no core valve parts store will not accept.
I walked away. To top it off there's is wasted 1000 CFM thermoquad on that heap hes got listed For sale

So I guess Im still on the hunt.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
I'm sending my box to Chip at power Steering services to get a quick ratio conversion and the input changed to accept a borgeson shaft.
Before you send it, you better call him and speak to him to confirm exactly what you want to do. Tell him you spoke to me about it, if you like, as I already responded to him just now via email. He said that he wasn't sure what I meant by the "spline change" but that we would talk about it when he opened up the gear and had it in front of him to discuss. I didn't think I misunderstood him, but maybe I did.
Also in his email yesterday he said that he will not even dismantle it for at least 8 weeks, as it gets tagged upon arrival, and placed on a line of gears to be redone.

After reading BobVA's thread about the issue with the borgeson, I'm actually reconsidering my position on using the aftermarket shaft. The stock shaft works fine, and I may just save myself the headache and $$ by using the 1977 shaft I have. The idea that I could have a catastrophic failure by upgrading disturbs me immensely

T.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 AM

JUNK
Do I expect to much of used parts?
This clown

So I guess Im still on the hunt.
I'll keep my eyes open. If I find what you're looking for, I'll pull it and get it out to you.

Not many of these trucks left here, but I'll let u know if I find something here.

T.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Borgeson
This is what i ordered http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1
This is what i got http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C5RM1M/...SIN=B001C5RM1M

As you can see it a two shaft with or WITHOUT a LOCK collar. Do not buy this one after you fix it the right way, you will never get it off your truck unless you pull the steering box.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/0...oductId=760624

This one to is a two piece with lock collar. This one is removable maybe. Only because of the rag joint.

Me I wont buy one again.
1 After you correct the steering box into the right location the shaft will be strait.
2 For the money they charge I want stainless. The one I bought in 07 looks like I found it on the beach. I cant imagine what the needle bearings look like.

Quick Reply: Reverse Rotion Steering Box