1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Restoration of 93 W250 CTD LE ext. Cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:37 AM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Restoration of 93 W250 CTD LE ext. Cab

I'm new to this site and would consider myself a novice when it comes to mechanical repairs or restoration of these trucks! With that being said, I am going to attempt restoring some worn items on this truck myself and will contract out what I can not do. I really enjoy trying and learning new things. I have spent some time reading over this forum and would definitely appreciate any help or advice you guys can provide.
Just some history on this truck, it belongs to my dad who has dementia and can no longer drive or care for it. I actually had to talk him into buying it new 26 years ago! This truck was his daily driver and he absolutely loves it, would never consider selling it and believe me a lot of people have tried over the years. With his mental state being what it is, I now feel responsible for the care of this truck and would like to fix it up a bit(mechanically and cosmetically)without breaking the bank!
To my knowledge this truck is stock. I'm pretty sure it was painted once several years ago. I believe the injector pump was rebuilt or replaced at some point (see pictures in my profile album) it looks newer than other engine parts. It has approximately 237000 miles on it. I'm confident that it was serviced regularly (oil change etc.). I believe we changed out the lower door henges on both doors, however, I have to lift up on the driver's door to open it. I'm not aware of any other mechanical repairs or replacements. It cranks right up and I have not noticed any oil or fluid leaks on the concrete where it has always been parked. It has a gooseneck hideaway ball, that I installed after he bought it. It has been sitting in direct sunlight over the years, so that has caused some issues with the paint, trim molding, window seals, faded carpet etc. The headliner is gone, the foam remains. The interior overall is not all that bad, in my opinion, just needs some small stuff. It is an LE, power windows work but are sluggish at times, everything seems to work, even the A/C.
I have taken a lot pictures and have them in an album on my profile. Please take a look and chime in if you see issues or have advice on what needs attention. I would like to start with the small and more simple repairs first. I'm looking forward to this project and hope it turns out well!
Anyone know where I can find a passenger bucket seat mounting bracket?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:06 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Looks like a pretty solid truck, nice and clean on the under side! That drip rail/roof rot and paint flaking should be tackled right away, these trucks are known for drip rails rotting due to 2-3 layers of untreated metal being spot welded together and moisture getting in over the decades. That drag link looks like it's hanging down at the pitman arm farther then it should?

If you can weld I would think making a HD hinge unit for the seat would be a better option, maybe something with a greaseable hinge assembly?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:34 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

My dad has a '93 W250 extended cab that he bought new too! He doesn't drive it anymore either due to physical issues. Sits in the barn and gets started evry now & then...
So I can relate and understand your connection to the truck.

Thrashing Cows is right, rust is the main enemy and needs to be dealt with asap. The gutter is a killer.

The stickies have a lot of maintenance and improvement how-tos and address the common ailments. One hidden killer is the dowel pen.

I'd just remove that seat bracket and straighten/weld/strengthen it. Mine is cracked and I need to do the same before it gets bent like yours. I used plastic spray paint on my wheel well moldings. Looks ok. The trim molding are glued on, Oliver should have what you are missing.

How's the steering? That's a common wear item that could be the box or kingpins or any number of things.

What, other than rust, is your main concern for starters?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM

The rust and paint issues are definitely out of my wheel house on how to fix. Is this something that I could fix or am I better off taking to a professional for repair? I'm assuming the rust would need to be removed down to bare clean metal then repainted?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but where is the dowel pin located and what should be done to address it?

The steering is a little sloppy, quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. Both front tires are wearing pretty bad on the outside edges, so I'm assuming the front end probably needs addressed.

I have read that letting these trucks just sit can also be the death of them, so my main concern is just trying to prevent even more issues in the future. Am I over thinking all this, should I just drive it as is and fix issues when they arise?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Taylorm2121
Please forgive my ignorance, but where is the dowel pin located and what should be done to address it?

The steering is a little sloppy, quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. Both front tires are wearing pretty bad on the outside edges, so I'm assuming the front end probably needs addressed.

I have read that letting these trucks just sit can also be the death of them, so my main concern is just trying to prevent even more issues in the future. Am I over thinking all this, should I just drive it as is and fix issues when they arise?
1. Inside the timing cover. Main thing is having gaskets and tools. The tab itself can be improvised. Covered in lots of write-ups.

2. Tire wear you mention is common with too much toe-in. The slop itself can be from a number of places. Best to watch carefully under the truck as you have a buddy turn the steering. See which parts do not move exactly in unison when the steering direction is changed. Tires leaning in at the top can be a sign of tired/worn kingpins.

3. IMO, drive it and fix issues as they come up. Many a project was abandoned because a vehicle stayed out of service too long, and/or was taken too far apart. The single biggest expense in my used'n'abused w250 in the 8 years I've driven it is a brand new radiator (incl. water pump and hoses) that I installed myself.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I fixed my seat hinge with a piece of piano hinge I picked up from home depot. Had to trim to length and drill some holes but it was cheap, easy and its held up now since 2005/6ish.

I'm new to this site and would consider myself a novice when it comes to mechanical repairs or restoration of these trucks! With that being said, I am going to attempt restoring some worn items on this truck myself and will contract out what I can not do. I really enjoy trying and learning new things. I have spent some time reading over this forum and would definitely appreciate any help or advice you guys can provide.
Just some history on this truck, it belongs to my dad who has dementia and can no longer drive or care for it. I actually had to talk him into buying it new 26 years ago! This truck was his daily driver and he absolutely loves it, would never consider selling it and believe me a lot of people have tried over the years. With his mental state being what it is, I now feel responsible for the care of this truck and would like to fix it up a bit(mechanically and cosmetically)without breaking the bank!
To my knowledge this truck is stock. I'm pretty sure it was painted once several years ago. I believe the injector pump was rebuilt or replaced at some point (see pictures in my profile album) it looks newer than other engine parts. It has approximately 237000 miles on it. I'm confident that it was serviced regularly (oil change etc.). I believe we changed out the lower door henges on both doors, however, I have to lift up on the driver's door to open it. I'm not aware of any other mechanical repairs or replacements. It cranks right up and I have not noticed any oil or fluid leaks on the concrete where it has always been parked. It has a gooseneck hideaway ball, that I installed after he bought it. It has been sitting in direct sunlight over the years, so that has caused some issues with the paint, trim molding, window seals, faded carpet etc. The headliner is gone, the foam remains. The interior overall is not all that bad, in my opinion, just needs some small stuff. It is an LE, power windows work but are sluggish at times, everything seems to work, even the A/C.
I have taken a lot pictures and have them in an album on my profile. Please take a look and chime in if you see issues or have advice on what needs attention. I would like to start with the small and more simple repairs first. I'm looking forward to this project and hope it turns out well!
Anyone know where I can find a passenger bucket seat mounting bracket?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Or maybe a HD hinge from a farm supply store used for gates and such?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:10 PM

Unfortunately, life has kept me to busy to get much done to the truck. However, I did put it in the local shop, had the front end alined, A/C, wipers, brakes and headlights worked on. Got new 285/75R/16 put on, which I think makes it look a lot better. I have been driving it daily and thinking about what to do next.

My plan is to strip everything off in prep for a new paint job. Still debating whether to go back with original color or change it. What are your guys thoughts on changing the original color? What are the pros and cons to a color change?

Next is to find replacement parts for the exterior to go on after paint. What are your guys thoughts on aftermarket versus OEM? Is it worth trying to repair or refinish the chrome on like mirrors, door handles, grille etc., or just buy aftermarket new chrome pieces? Still also debating whether or not to try and replace side molding or just leave it off, I know it will be difficult to find in good shape. I'm not trying to build a show truck but want to get as close to new looking as possible! I'm doing all this for myself and not resell purpose, however I want to consider changes that may affect future sell price. I'm sure everyone has different opinions on whether to stay stock or modify cosmetic/performance, but it will be interesting to ear all sides. I definitely don't plan on doing anything like crazy lifting up or over the top engine mods.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say! Thanks

New tires
Old 10-31-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Im a fan of both, I like the older colors/two tones. But I also like different colors. I bought mine cause it was clean and the orange really stuck out... Something no one else has. My plan is to keep it forever, plans change but that's the plan for now.

The following users liked this post:
NJTman (11-02-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:33 PM

Really nice looking ride DevynBurk! Reminds me of my dad's 77 Ford, it was like a stock hunter orange color, never really seen one like it! It was really bright and noticable, kinda like the red on my 93... LOL!
Old 10-31-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I think it looks great in red, and it'll look better without the side trim......Ben
The following users liked this post:
Taylorm2121 (10-31-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Really nice looking ride DevynBurk! Reminds me of my dad's 77 Ford, it was like a stock hunter orange color, never really seen one like it! It was really bright and noticable, kinda like the red on my 93... LOL!
Thanks! I do love red, if you do repaint maybe throw some metallic red on it to still be red but be a little different. Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah paint id say is a personal choice, The red Looks great but so would any number of colors/combinations. I think I'll be ditiching the molding when I decide to do body work and paint on mine.
As for the chrome, several members here have mentioned that the chrome replacement pieces are subpar in quality, so it may be worth your while to try saving what you have.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Dang! That's my truck without the mods. Paint is much better than mine and I wish my frame was that clean! Nice truck.
Keep it red, red is best. Besides, switching colors doing it right is a ton of work and expensive. Think under hood, door jambs, interior metal, etc.
My plan, if I ever get there, is black molding below that crease and black bedliner below that. Maybe silver or gunmetal gray on hood, top of fenders and roof. Do yours first so I can see what it looks like.

Quick Reply: Restoration of 93 W250 CTD LE ext. Cab