1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Resealed Ve pump, Truck will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resealed Ve pump, Truck will not stay running

Truck hasn't ran in a little over 2 years, I get my pump resealed took it apart to put a gov spring and fuel pin but I end up just leaving the stock pin in because my slide pin wasn't reaching the deepest curve of my aftermarket pin (don't know what company the fuel pin was from.) I install the pump and now it will not stay running. I'm getting fuel when I crack the injectors, I have power at my fss took the plunger out anyways to see if that was the problem and it will not run. I dont have the radiator or my turbo on because when I took my pump off I also decided to tackle the kdp and make sure I was on tdc with the gears. It will crank and start up running rough but only for a short amount of time then die, ill crack the lines and more air will come out! Repeat and still no dice im beginning to think maybe my timing is off, I would like to hear yalls opinion.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts

Good morning TexasT, when you put your pump back together did you index the throttle shaft properly? when looking down at the shaft, the slot on the top should be aligned with the second mark on the left and the fourth one on the right..
The fuel pin problem should be simple as well, do you still have the thick plastic washer on it? that will stop it from going all the way to the deepest part of your pin, take it off and hold up to the mark your slide pin made on the fuel pin and see how much you have to grind it down to get it to go to the deepest part, although most times you can just remove it and it works just right.
Good luck, I hope this helps
The pic was borrowed from 1stGen545 post
Old 02-02-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the fast reply, my throttle shaft was properly indexed but I might as well check it again and It did not have that thick plastic washer on the stock pin, so it looks like im going to be doing some grinding. My main concern right now is getting her running since its been so long, I drained the old fuel and put new fuel in there and new fuel filter, im stuck at the moment.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Well if you keep getting air in the lines it's either not totally bled out or its suckling air from somewhere.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasT
Truck hasn't ran in a little over 2 years, I get my pump resealed took it apart to put a gov spring and fuel pin but I end up just leaving the stock pin in because my slide pin wasn't reaching the deepest curve of my aftermarket pin (don't know what company the fuel pin was from.) I install the pump and now it will not stay running. I'm getting fuel when I crack the injectors, I have power at my fss took the plunger out anyways to see if that was the problem and it will not run. I dont have the radiator or my turbo on because when I took my pump off I also decided to tackle the kdp and make sure I was on tdc with the gears. It will crank and start up running rough but only for a short amount of time then die, ill crack the lines and more air will come out! Repeat and still no dice im beginning to think maybe my timing is off, I would like to hear yalls opinion.
If you resealed the pump then it's totally drained of fuel. You have to loosen the return line banjo on the back of the pump which is the lower one and not the one which connects to the short tube to the intake manifold. Then you have to manually pump the lift pump with the lever or the plunger if you have a piston pump to get all of the air out of the injection pump. I'm assuming the fuel filter is also full of fuel and you've bled that via the bleeder for it.

Then slightly crack all of the injection lines and crank the engine until you see fuel spraying out of all six. then tighten them down one at a time while somebody cranks for you. Be careful of the fuel spray as it will cut skin. Wear gloves. Once you have all six tightened then the engine should be running. If not and you still have air in the lines look for it sucking air somewhere.

Edwin