1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Replaced afc diaphragm and now have no power!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Didn't Nick (papecat) have a similar problem once? turned out to be he had inadvertently switched the two banjo bolts in the fuel lines. One has a restriction. the return line I believe. If it were in the inlet it could be the problem.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Didn't Nick (papecat) have a similar problem once? turned out to be he had inadvertently switched the two banjo bolts in the fuel lines. One has a restriction. the return line I believe. If it were in the inlet it could be the problem.
I am not sure on that, but I know I never took more than just the return line banjo bolt off. That was after the truck decided to not start.

What led led up to this issue is I replaced the afc diaphragm, but I couldn’t get the fuel cone to come out. So I went to get some penetrating oil to free it up knowing that the fuel slide pin was a common issue to get stuck. Before I had a chance to get the penetrating oil my dad went and yanked the fuel cone out. The slide pin was then jammed back inside the place that it sits in so far I could barely see it. I hoped for the best and put everything back together with the new diaphragm and took the truck for a drive. It then had no power and would barely build boost if given full throttle and then would die off. Even less power than before (which is why I was replacing the diaphragm). So I put the old diaphragm back in and tried again not knowing the slide pin was my issue. Same result, and this time when I pulled it back into the driveway and parked it to scratch my head on what was going on, it wouldn’t start the next time I tried to start it a few minutes later. I have since tried various things over the past 3 weeks that it hasn’t been starting. Starting to get to where I REALLY need this thing going again. I just don’t want to buy a new injection pump. I could reseal it, but I am not so sure but what if it isn’t something as simple as the pin not moving, then the internals of the pump have somehow worn out. Possibly, according to what Alec said, the vein pump is worn out.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 PM

She Lives!

So after last night messing with moving the slide pin back and forth I went out to mess with it this morning. I tried to just crank it and it seemed like it just wasn’t getting fuel. So I pulled out the trusty 17mm wrench and bled the injectors. Then I tried starting it with the afc top and fuel cone removed so I could see down in there. Wouldn’t you know it it now fired up and when I moved the throttle underneath the hood the pin popped out. So I turned the truck off, popped the slide pin back in. Put the fuel fin back in with new diaphragm and went to start it. Wouldn’t start so I bled he injectors again. It fired up, so I let it warm up for about 10 minutes or so and then turned the idle back down a little and took it for a drive. I definitely have been missing out. The truck is still slow, but not anywhere near as bad as it was. It seems to smoke less the longer it ran, but I’m guessing that is just because it was then spinning the hx-35 faster. I now need to get the wiring for my 3in1 gauge and get it installed. Just glad I got it going. Next upgrade will be LPHV piston lift pump. Maybe that will help some more with power.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:20 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
I'm a little confused now, what exactly was it you did that let it fire up and run finally?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
I'm a little confused now, what exactly was it you did that let it fire up and run finally?
I freed up the little pin that is down in the afc top hat which rides on the contour of the fuel pin. I don’t think the truck was getting enough fuel before to be able to fire up. Runs a little better than it ever has now. Still slow, but I am just glad it is running and drivable again.

It is wierd to have it smoke now. It doesn’t smoke a lot, but their is a little puff when I get on it hard. It seems that the hx-35 could probably handle more fuel and still be efficient, but I’m going to leave it alone until I get my 3in1 gauge installed. I plan to wire it off of the factory tachometer wiring harness.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
OK, that’s what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

I followed the stickies on all those mechanical adjustments to where I just have a slight haze with my current mods, more so in cold weather. Hardly any “coal” unless I really get on it.

One thing you might check that I haven’t heard you mention is your turbo housing size. I still run the stock turbo but a smaller housing, helped a lot with my automatic.

Glad you got over that hurdle, now for the next!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
OK, that’s what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

I followed the stickies on all those mechanical adjustments to where I just have a slight haze with my current mods, more so in cold weather. Hardly any “coal” unless I really get on it.

One thing you might check that I haven’t heard you mention is your turbo housing size. I still run the stock turbo but a smaller housing, helped a lot with my automatic.

Glad you got over that hurdle, now for the next!
My truck is just a light haze when I floor it, so I feel I can definitely tune it up some without running too high of EGT’s when towing (I’ll still definitely have a gauge to keep track). The injection pump still has the tamper resistant collar on the fuel screw, so it is stock in that aspect. As far as I know the AFC hasn’t been tampered with, except for my adjusting it to get things unstuck and to trouble shoot my issue. I then turned it back to where it was.

As for what turbo I have, it is a hx-35 stock replacement from a 2nd gen p-pump truck. I hope to maybe be able to get 200 horsepower out of the truck without EGT’s being too high and as little smoke as possible. One thing I hope to fix in the process is the sudden surge of the turbo. Right now the truck is just going and then the turbo comes on all at once. Truck is still slow though and probably takes at least 30 seconds to get to 60m.p.h. I figure a 366 governor spring and maybe a fuel pin from The Hungry Diesel will be where I start. Then, if that doesn’t make enough of a difference I will pull the fuel screw out, remove the tamper resistant collar, and ten that in half turn increments until my EGT’s get uncomfortably high. I have a couple 6-7% grades that make up a good part of my trip home from school. Right now I get down to about 50m.p.h. on a good day. Others I get as low as 40. I am not floored in the process, but I don’t want to be floored for a mile at a time. A LPHV piston lift pump from The Hungry Diesel is also planned once I get the money. Hopefully I can get a good amount of power from minor adjustments while still keeping EGT’s reasonable while towing in the mountains. And I don’t mean those hills that people call mountains in the Eastern U.S. I also hope in doing this to increase the top speed of 75m.p.h. Speed limits on the interstate here go up to 80, so I’d like to be able to max out the speedometer at 100 for passing when necessary. I have a built hx-35 in the garage that has a bigger compressor housing and I’m not sure all what else. It is supposed to be gated at 39p.s.i.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
No pressing need for a fuel pin, just rotate the stock one so the deepest slope is facing front against the horizontal slide pin.

You'll enjoy that 366 spring; and the HVLP & install kit are useful mods as well.

Turn the power screw up to get approx 35psi boost at 1200F unloaded, tune your AFC star wheel & smoke screw, and you'd be surprised how much fun a first gen can be with the above simple mods.

I recommend Mark Wilson the owner of DieselTuff.com (he's on this forum as "nascar") for the above parts & pieces, his prices & shipping speed are terrific.
bigragu (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ofelas
No pressing need for a fuel pin, just rotate the stock one so the deepest slope is facing front against the horizontal slide pin.

You'll enjoy that 366 spring; and the HVLP & install kit are useful mods as well.

Turn the power screw up to get approx 35psi boost at 1200F unloaded, tune your AFC star wheel & smoke screw, and you'd be surprised how much fun a first gen be with the above simple mods.

I recommend Mark Wilson the owner of DieselTuff.com (he's on this forum as "nascar") for the above parts & pieces, his prices & shipping speed are terrific.
That is good to know. I did rotate the stock fuel pin to where the deepest side was forward, but I haven’t really noticed a difference. I can floor it from a stop and have no noticeable soot at all out the tailpipe until the slight haze that comes with the boost. I am not looking for smoke as it is not good for the motor to wash it with fuel and just pisses people off, but I would like the truck to be more drivable. I plan to take it to college as well and keep it forever hopefully. One day when I have the money I want to restore it. New paint, recoat frame, and re-do interior. Hopefully a 5 speed will come in the next couple years. I hate this 47rh with a passion. I don’t have the money for a stand alone controller, so the O.D. and T.C. Lockup are controlled by switches. If I could afford to have it set up right then it wouldn’t bother me, but the truck had a Getrag in it originally and the previous owner swapped it because of knee problems. I would like to get a 5 speed back in it, whether it is another Getrag or a nv4500.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas

Turn the power screw up to get approx 35psi boost at 1200F unloaded, tune your AFC star wheel & smoke screw, and you'd be surprised how much fun a first gen be with the above simple mods.

YES! Get the HVLP piston pump from NascarMark at DIeselTuff.com. If you get one from Amazon or Fleabay you could overpressure the seal in your VE and fill your crankcase with fuel like I did. Mark sets the pressure of the pump right at 14 psi.

Edwin
Old 04-10-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
YES! Get the HVLP piston pump from NascarMark at DIeselTuff.com. If you get one from Amazon or Fleabay you could overpressure the seal in your VE and fill your crankcase with fuel like I did. Mark sets the pressure of the pump right at 14 psi.

Edwin
Does it have the larger 14mm piston? I’ve been looking at the one from The Hungary diesel. This is the one I’m talking about: https://thehungrydiesel.com/Low-Pres...-Lift-Pump.htm If the one from this Diesel Tuff place you speak of is better, then I’m all for it.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

Does it have the larger 14mm piston? I’ve been looking at the one from The Hungary diesel. This is the one I’m talking about: https://thehungrydiesel.com/Low-Pres...-Lift-Pump.htm If the one from this Diesel Tuff place you speak of is better, then I’m all for it.
You'd have to ask Mark about that. All I know is it is a genuine Cummins pump he has changed the pressure to be within the specs of the VE inj. pump. You should also check with Hungry Diesel to make sure their pump is OK on the pressure before you go that way. The pump I bought from a vendor on Amazon was a no-name and it put out over 35psi.

I'm not saying that Hungry Diesel has an overpressure pump but I'm not the first to have the seal pressed out of the VE disaster. I was on the 91 freeway in Corona when a guy on a motorcycle with fuel all over him who told me about it. I had to be towed home. Glad I had AAA.

Edwin
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I just installed two HVLP pressure pumps. One on Poncho, one on the new motor for the black crew cab.
I have only had Poncho running so far, but it holds a steady 10-11 PSI at idle.
THD had a great sale a few months ago, so I bought three kits at the same time.
edwinsmith (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I just installed two HVLP pressure pumps. One on Poncho, one on the new motor for the black crew cab.
I have only had Poncho running so far, but it holds a steady 10-11 PSI at idle.
THD had a great sale a few months ago, so I bought three kits at the same time.
Good to know! I guess I will go with whichever one is cheaper.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Its a 30mm piston, details here - https://shop.dieseltuff.com/14psi-HV...nstall-Kit.htm

Quick Reply: Replaced afc diaphragm and now have no power!