1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ready for winter??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:41 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ready for winter??

Well, I got up early this afternoon and started working on the to do before winter list on the truck.

Got the oil changed and the fuel filter changed. Checked the rest of the fluids all ok. I even got another 1/2 turn on the Happy Screw

Still have plenty to do but I'm getting there. Of course winter is just arround the corner.

What's left?
Clean K&N
Install Big line Kit
Put relays on the Heater motor (Great idea/write-up Jim Lane!)
Headlight relays & replace Headlights
Finish Auto-Start

And of course just when I start to make headway on the list it keeps growing. Found a good vacum leak on the brake booster Oh Well.

At least this year I have a garage I can just barely SQUEEZE into if I have to (assuming Mama let's me move the mini-van out into the cold).
Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure am glad that it dont get that cold here. I dont even use the grid heaters any more.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
You might consider pressure-washing the axle spring-pacs, allow them to dry (especially between the leafs / might take a day or two), then lift the truck so that the spring-packs are in full droop.

Saturate them well with an aerosol, penetrating wire-rope/cable lube. The kind that evaporates to a water/steam proof and very tacky heavy film.

Enjoy a quieter, smoother ride.

Ready for winter??
If you're the kind who enjoys driving in the snow and ice, consider volunteering at your local hospital(s) so that in the event of inclement weather, you're available to transport the doctors and pretty nurses

You get to drive in the snow for a good reason, . . . . . and did I mention the doctors and nurses who're fun to look at?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the truck fare in Fairbanks? I am hoping to be stationed at Ft. Wainright in the next year or so. I'm really excited about it!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BC847

You get to drive in the snow for a good reason, . . . . . and did I mention the doctors and nurses who're fun to look at?
I use to drive an Ambulance for one of the local Volunteer Fire department. I finally got to be legal when I drove fast and of course we ended up at the hospital on a regular basis. There was some good scenery there

Also I did wash the under carraige a few weeks ago. Frozen spring packs take forever to thaw..

Originally Posted by srb96bravo
How does the truck fare in Fairbanks? I am hoping to be stationed at Ft. Wainright in the next year or so. I'm really excited about it!
Truck runs great even in the cold. There are a few tricks to winterization but it's not as bad as the warm blodded fairweather folks want to believe it is !
Old 09-23-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Winter, whats that? Oh yes I remember, thats when I turn my A/C off.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:05 PM

OK, Got the Autostart operational Now I don't have to go outside to warm up the truck when it's cold. I have a few extra wires to hook-up yet for the keyless entry and park lights but the important part is done.

Now to get the heater box cleaned out and the heater motor rewired to blow hard.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'll change over to synthetic oil for easier crank over and less intial start up wear when cold. Other than that, I'll plug it in when I can, let the grid heater do its thing, allow oil pressure to rise and take it easy till its warm.

I've started this thing in -28*C, not plugged in, it didn't like it but it ran, I just let it run for a good 10 minutes to build some heat.

Oh and I'm going to get some new tires (Toyo M/Ts) and rims (Eagle 058s) for better snow/mud traction and some better looks. I think the next time I go out ice fishing, I'll blow some donuts on the ice for fun
Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
I've started this thing in -28*C, not plugged in, it didn't like it but it ran, I just let it run for a good 10 minutes to build some heat.
Been there. Done that. I think it's amazing that I can do that and the wife's '06 Town & Country won't start at -20.

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
I think the next time I go out ice fishing, I'll blow some donuts on the ice for fun
Tight parking lots are so much easier in the winter when thee right foot steering mechanism is working.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Man am I lucky!

Old man winter took off for Thanksgiving so I got to keep working outside. Today got up to almost 40*F

I pulled the hubs apart and repacked the bearings. Good thing too. The outer bearing on the LH side was about to come apart My luck it would have let loose on the highway at about -40* and been a real PITA.

I also finished wiring up the KSB to a manual switch. The manifold switch quit working and there isn't one in town. For $10 I found a cool switch to control the KSB. It's rated for 30A and is in a metal housing. It also has a blueLED in the front of the paddle so I won't forget that it is on. Looks really cool in the dark