1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

re-carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:20 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re-carpet

If anybody else is doing this, found a body shop that repairs interiors. Bought some underlayment insulation for $8 a yard. <br>JC Whitney had it in pre cut sizes and shipping runs the price up. Ordered a new carpet from Summit. Just over$100 shipped UPS 1-3 days. Black in stock, color was a 2 week wait.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Are the carpets, from such vendors as JCWhitney and Summit, pre-formed and made to fit; or, is a lot of trimming/fitting required??

I did one truck, years ago, with flat carpet, bought by the yard.

It was quite a chore to fit and never did lay right.

If I can buy one that is formed and does fit for about $150, the aggravation saved would be worth the cost.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I just bought carpet for my truck from the site below....

http://www.accmats.com/

They have a nice selection of colors and while I have not installed the carpet yet, it looks like they put out a quality product.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the site. Looks like I'll be ordering from them!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

My girlfriend bought me a vinyl floor kit for my 92 (why they put carpet in work trucks is beyond my comprehension). I made the mistake of installing it in cold weather (Ok, it was 40 for the high the day I did it, but it still is a lot cooler than 90+ we have now), and it didnt lay quite right (If I'd had an auto with the slightly smaller hump, it may have fit perfectly), and I trimmed it to fit then. Now with warmer weather, it has molded more to the swells and dips in the floor, and I have some floor showing around the edges. Still far better than the dirt/ mud filled junkpile I took out.

Daniel
Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dpuckett
(why they put carpet in work trucks is beyond my comprehension).
Daniel
That used to be my reasoning; but, I have seen way more floors rotted out under rubber mats, than under carpet.

My theory is two-fold.

First, since the mat is rubber, and water won't hurt it, some will take a water-hose to the floor.

The problem is that under the mat is carpet padding that will get water-logged and never dry.

Second sort of goes along with the first problem, is that the rubber mat acts much in the same manner as bedliners that will soon rot away a bed, due to the condensation/dampness issues.

Admittedly, the rubber mat is much easier to keep clean.

Carpet or mat, no one does it, but they should be completely removed, about twice a year, and the underneath allowed to dry, while any floor-board deterioration issues are addressed.

The trouble is, it is about easier to pull the engine, than to pull the floor covering.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Question More Carpet Questions

Other than a hole for the 4x4 shifter, is there any difference in the floor-board/carpet between trucks #3 and #4 in my sig.??

Both are Getrags and the sheetmetal looks to be the same.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I am going to un-carpet rather than re carpet. My truck leaks water in from god-knows-where, and in the winter the carpet is perpetually soggy and grows grass near the sills...

When it finally stops raining here and summer arrives, I am going to yank it all out, sand and prime the floor and put down spray-in bedliner of some kind instead.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BearKiller
(edit)...The problem is that under the mat is carpet padding that will get water-logged and never dry...(edit)

Carpet or mat, no one does it, but they should be completely removed, about twice a year, and the underneath allowed to dry, while any floor-board deterioration issues are addressed.

The trouble is, it is about easier to pull the engine, than to pull the floor covering.
5 words for that... POR-15, POR-15, POR-15. Wait, that's like 6 words...or 3 words & 3 numbers...or...whatever!! But POR-15 IS the STUFF(sorry bout that...) . I'm a firm believer after hand cleaning/brushing my Trailduster frame, underbody & interior floors. I even did my new battery tray and accidentally spilled acid(well my buddy did installing the battery, but I think he just wanted to see what it would do) - it didn't faze it. So I'd guess for really dirty environments, the POR treatment & the rubber mat would be the fa-shizzle!!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:15 AM

here is what I did

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=97931

I have since gone back and added carpet ontop it the vinyl.. just for a better look..and the fitted carpet I gopt was not perfect.. it was pretty close but not 100%..

still is a lot better then when I got truck
Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up A Good How-to

Originally Posted by BRUISER
here is what I did
We have been going through the same process, in the son's truck.

I can't count the times we have scanned that thread for inspiration.

Thank you, kindly.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
When my truck was new I pulled the carpet and stored it.
I had the floor sprayed with the polyurethane bedliner stuff.
In my case, farm mud and carpets don't mix.
Now I can hose out the floor and not worry about rotting the floor.
Attached Thumbnails re-carpet-dsc00152.jpg  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 92DuallyCTD
5 words for that... POR-15, POR-15, POR-15. Wait, that's like 6 words...or 3 words & 3 numbers...or...whatever!! But POR-15 IS the STUFF(sorry bout that...) .

Tell me more about this powerful stuff.

Where do you get it??

I have been using some green liquid stuff that comes in a quart bottle for five bucks.

RIGHT STUFF Formula 3000

I stuck the Windex pump in the bottle and spray it on rusty metal, after wire-brushing.

In a couple hours, it turns the metal black and is supposed to kill the rust.

It smells exactly like the old Perma-Blu cold gun bluing paste that I used to use to touch up worn areas on rifle barrels.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
We have been going through the same process, in the son's truck.

I can't count the times we have scanned that thread for inspiration.

Thank you, kindly.
Glad I could help..

POR-15 is at: http://www.por15.com/
but you can get it at most auto parts stores also..
Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

Ditto above^^^^ The great thing about POR-15 is that it's more like a paint, in that you can actually paint it on with a brush, or thin it and spray with a primer gun. I painted my frame/body with a brush because it applies much thicker(BTW. it ain't real cheap!). Also POR creates a nearly rubber-like sealed surface to keep moisture out. I painted over a couple 5/16 bolts in the frame holding the exhaust hanger, then later needed to remove them. Like to never got them out, had to drive them with a punch and they tore off a big 2in chunk of the stuff with em!! I was impressed exactly how sealed the POR had become; just needed to repaint it later, when I did the floorboard area under the carpet. Good luck! :-)