1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ramcharger Re-Power (Project Cummcharger)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=JustRamIt91;2813404]Thanks bill!! Its frusturating working alone... with something this heavy, and everything is slanted up hill both ways.

I know the feeling. Are you doing the work in lansdowne or somewhere else?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM

Man this is great!! I want to do this to a 78 club cab... sigh someday!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Manifold

Well i didn't get any work done today. I went and picked up a stock exhaust manifold, and an exhaust manifold/turbo off an 09(i believe) anyways its a heavy edit VGT. There are only a few things i noticed that will be an issue.
They are... the size of the turbo, location turbo sits, and where down pipe needs to go.

Name:  HPIM1248.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  142.0 KB
Name:  HPIM1249.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  122.9 KB

Looking at the photos you can see that the port difference is the easiest thing to fix. An external waste gate could be integrated(which would be cool, but almost useless with this turbo)

I'm still debating if its easier to make the turbo fit on the stock manifold, maybe fab some flange/adapter plate like i see sold on fea bay...\/
Name:  t3t4adaptor30.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  t3t4adaptor40.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  32.7 KB

They are both under 50 bux... and the one looks like the 35* angle will work to my advantage. Also there is a tapped port for something ;-)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Bump

no feedback??? whats happening here?

"Ok so i made a lot of progress the other night... motor, trans, xfer case are HEAAVY and OUT. Working on getting the axles and springs out from under frame in one peice... i'm going to see if i can't borrow the CUT TRUCK and burn the bolts/bushings out...." -ME
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Looks like you got to put the turbo on the other manifold. That one will put the dp into the firewall.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 AM

Good project!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 AM

What if you just flip the manifold.

BTW, the title of your project is terrible...I'd suggest changing it. Makes me feel dirty.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Subliminal

BTW, the title of your project is terrible...I'd suggest changing it. Makes me feel dirty.

Well get your mind out of the gutter lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Takes a while to get together, when you want to do upgrades.

My '92 DAMNCHARGER went (mostly) together in about 3 weeks, at which point it was running and driveable.
It wasn't a "rush" job, I swapped in a new windshielld, Cummins dash harness, full engine harness, with stock 5 speed PCM, and the transmission/transfer case harness.
Started with 2 RamChargers and some diesell stuff, ended up with 1 that is now 4wd, 5 speed and Cummins-Powered.

Didn't have a hoist to swap the body from the 2wd frame, didn't have a pal to solve any issues, or provide extra muscle, just dove in and done it outside with jacks and a cherry picker on a cement slab.

A 5 speed makes this a way more interesting vehicle to drive, almost to the point of being dangerous.
I almost rolled it, except for, I believe, the dually rear axle keeping it from going over.

Strangely enough, this Cummins converted RamCharger still weighs in at 6,000 pounds.
But a RamCharger has extra body reinforcements, as well as those really heavy sideglasses.

Pics of the semi-finished product:

Mark.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NIck someone has done the VGT swap on a 91 in our area, his name on here is c12h26 his truck is a 91 non i/c 727a that runs 12's on stock injectors

he used the stock exhaust manifold and got the adapter thing like on ebay, then fabbed a Downpipe

He hasn't made a controller yet though for the veins
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks

Ok so i just got finished cutting almost every rivet out of the old frame... saving some of the 4x4 cross members that someone may need for a 2x4 to 4x4 conversion.

Anyways everything is off the frame and i'm cooling off a bit before i burn the frame into 4' sections for the scrap guy.

I was also tinkering with the manifolds, and i do believe i am going with the origional style manifold. The newer one, even flipped over, won't help me get the DP where i want it, i will keep the other manifold for someone who wants to do twins, i think that would be put the exhaust in a good location for that.
(as for controlling it... i haven't even looked into "how it work" from the factory, but i think something that monitors EGT and boost may allow me to use factory wires)

Mark, i'm not "rushing" i just need to get it done, everything i do is planned out somewhat before. I always measure twice and cut once... i just want the motor IN!! and i only have a helping hand when its convenient for my "friends". The engine hoist, i picked up from an auction, has more than paid for its self, and it doesn't drop something heavy like friends do ... I also agree with the 5spd, but this is what i had available on the cheap .

Brandon i will look him up sometime later, if i remember. It was something i couldn't pass up ;-). I think the exhaust flange is going to be a pain to fab with my custom downpipeitude. But thats something thats going to be solved in the truck... i'm thinking hood stack for temp since i have 2 extra hoods now

UnrulyNFS, thanks i hope it turns out as nice as marks ride.

Bill, THANKS
Damon U know what they say... "great minds think aline" but so do the dirty ones
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91
Mark, i'm not "rushing" i just need to get it done, everything i do is planned out somewhat before. I always measure twice and cut once... i just want the motor IN!! and i only have a helping hand when its convenient for my "friends". The engine hoist, i picked up from an auction, has more than paid for its self, and it doesn't drop something heavy like friends do ... I also agree with the 5spd, but this is what i had available on the cheap .
Don't think i was ******* on ya', it's better to plot out what you want for the finished product, especially if you plan to keep it and enjoy it.
I DID sort of rush mine to completion, so much so, that the trans is now grenaded, because the time wasn't taken to do it right, and it's my own fault.

I, too love my engine picker and, I also have no "friends" around here, until they can't find a 1st Gen or old Mopar part, then they remember my name...for a bit.
Some are very pricey on "favors", too.
So long as they pay my prices, I guess that's fine, otherwise, it's KMA next time.

As far as the 5 speed vs. the auto, trust me, the automatic won't matter, it'll still be a beast to drive.

Oh yeah, DON'T go too heavy on the rear springs, it'll beat you to death with the short wheelbase.

Mark.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM

I just finished cutting the frame into 3 pieces and have moved the axles over next to the RC... i'm beat and i'm heading back to my apartment. My friend is on his way down now to help... lets see what he does when he doesn't see me around I left a broom out with a sign that says "Thanks for the help, you clean up well"

As for a few things i was thinking about...

exactly what you said mark, the rear springs... currently the D70 has the stockers with helper-springs on it and i have a stock RC set.
I'm thinking keep the d250 main spring and maybe add a few of the RC springs beneath, maybe. Then have air-bag helper spring up top. i think the one spring will be fine, but would like the extra height that the additional springs will add because i hate blocks. I was also thinking about air-bag helper springs for the front, maybe something like kelderman offers.

For the rear drive shaft, do you recommend shortening it from the back side? I'm fairly confident this is be done at home(or at a friends house).

As for the turbo i'm gonna slap my old turbo on and crossover tube, then complete my induction system on my pickup. Will the IC-injectors not work well with the non-ic turbo?? Or should i do it right (intercool it) and make the vgt work in limp mode (at set points with spring controlling veins)??

Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM

I would not try to do the drive shaft yourself they need to be balanced and perfectly true. Very very hard to get it perfect without the right equipment.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM

LOL, at least your bud got in on the cleanup!

As far as the springs go, just run the original 4wd RamCharger ones on the rear.
On the fronts, I've been looking and some of the older trucks have a spring pack that has a thicker leaf spring (per leaf), a set of those would work well with 1 or 2 long leafs added for extra support.
I'm not keen on air bag suspensions on the front, but it's your rig, do what you feel is good for your needs.

Have the driveshaft shortened and balanced by a shop that does them.
The one on DAMNCHARGER was shortened from the axle end.

Your turbo comments are beyond me, but I got in on this topic mid-stream, and haven't totally read through what your intents are on the engine.

I just think it's cool that there appears to be a very high interest in the diesel RamCharger thing, and it baffles me that Dodge didn't do something like this with one, even with a 4 cylinder.

Mark.

Quick Reply: Ramcharger Re-Power (Project Cummcharger)