1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

questions about Borgeson install

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 11:24 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
questions about Borgeson install

I just got a Borgeson steering shaft and I'm missing some of the instructions - yah I'm one of those guys who read 'em.<br>The instructions mention making a seat for the set screw as shown in Figure A - they didn't provide a &quot;Figure A&quot;. The instructions also say to slide the u-joint over the splined shaft to the depth shown in Figure B - again I got no Figure B to refer to. <br>Thanks for the help, Chriswhohastohaveinstructions
Old 06-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:questions about Borgeson install

Chris,<br><br>I have a somewhat detailed set of &quot;HOW TO&quot; for that... here is the link...<br><br>http://turbodieselregister.com/forum...threadid=74267<br><br>As for your specific questions the &quot;seat' they are referring to is one you make... <br>Once you have the coupler slid onto the stub shaft fully (so the end of the shaft slightly protrudes), AND your steering wheel is centered, use a 1/8&quot; or 1/16&quot; drill bit, and go thru the allen key hole with it. <br>Then use the bit to make a slight mark on the stub shaft for reference.<br>Remove the coupler, take a dremel tool and carefully grind a small &quot;flat land&quot; on the stub shaft for the allen key to &quot;seat&quot; on. That way it's not sitting on a couple threads and possibly work loose. Use medium strength loctite to secure.<br>Make sure your 'rag joint' is snugged up too.<br>While you have things apart, after you've removed the old coupler and BEFORE you start on the new installation do this too....<br>Lay under the truck, look up to the bottom of the steering gear box mounting bracket that attaches to the frame...<br>Use a bright lite and look for signs of early cracking on the rounded/radius curves of the bracket for signs of cracks.<br>Also check the bolt hole areas closely too.<br>You'll see extremely faint sign of cracks often with bits of rusty stains if there are any.<br>If none, carry on with the install.<br><br>Bob.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Re:questions about Borgeson install

Thanks for the instructions Bob. I'll check out the mounting plate again to see if I missed any cracks. I had a '78 PW that had problems with the steering box coming loose from the mounting plate.<br><br>Chris