1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A question for the alpha welders out there!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Any luck Mark?
No, it turns out that the 3 large yards in Miguel Aliman omly looked large from the street. There was pretty slim pickings. I am returning to Hermosillo later this week and I have been in a couple of their's and they are huge. The saga continues...Mark
Old 03-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I will keep an eye out next time I go for parts.here at the yards.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Well, I got into Hermosillo late this aternoon and was able to get into a few yards today. I found a Ramcharger, but the whole front end was already gone. I found this 90 or 91 150 with of all things a Cummins in it. I am not sure of the year, but I didn't see any IC plumbing, although it may have been removed. It did have the one piece valve cover cover. I didn't think to take a pic at the time and when I returned they were closed. I didn't leave empty handed though, I found a 91 or 92 with some pretty nice cabin trim, all for 10 bucks. The guy wants 40000 pesos for the Cummins, around 2200 at today's exchange rate. I could probably get it for half, but I don't think I'll get it. I haven't given up yet and there are lots more yards. I guy said that there is a giant one in Nogales that has lots of old trucks. I will try to find it on my way home...Mark P.S. He wouldn't sell any parts off the red one, just the whole thing...
Attached Thumbnails A question for the alpha welders out there!-mexico-cummins.jpg   A question for the alpha welders out there!-didnt-come-home-emty-handed.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
mknittle (03-17-2017), NJTman (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Hey guys, I was thinking of lining the inside of the trim pieces with Nausua brand aluminum duct tape (the very best, IMHO). I was thinking about 2 or 3 layers. What do you guys think? Will it help to prevent breakage? or is it just wishfull thinking?...Mark One other thing. If that cummins has all of its parts and good compression, do you think that truck is worth a grand?...
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Hey guys, ........ If that cummins has all of its parts and good compression, do you think that truck is worth a grand?...
Considering it's RUST FREE, has a 1 ton suspension system, the taller frame ??

A Grand ??? Buy it for a grand, deliver it to me, and I'll give you $1150 in cash......

Yes.... you know that the parts on that truck are worth more than that many times over. The rad support alone.....several hundred
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Well, I pretty much struck out today in Hermosillo. I had seen a very large wrecking yard near the airport, that seemed to have a lot of older pickups and such. So, my friend and I headed over there and on the way she says, "Is this where the city keeps all of the impounded cars?" I said, "what place where the city keeps all of the impounded cars?". So, we get there and it is a huge place, full of hundreds of cars, Some complete, but most damaged. Right next to the large sign with the name and address of the place was a sign that said, "no yunke", no junk. She was right, it was the city impound lot. Oh well, I struck out in Hermosillo. When I head home soon, I have one more chance, the large one in Nogales, Sonora. I am kind of hard headed and don't give up easily, So I will stop there and see what I can find. As far as the red one goes, I initially thought that it was a Cummins engine placed into a 150, but I think now that it is a 150 cab put onto a 1 ton. I think that NJTman called it above. When I come back in a few weeks, I plan on making an offer on it. I just don't have time now to deal with moving it. It should still be there, it has been sitting there for a long time, yeah, I know: famous last words ...Mark