Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   A question for the alpha welders out there! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/question-alpha-welders-out-there-327483/)

maybe368 03-06-2017 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 3322518)
I'm not 100 percent sure, but you could check with redhead about changing yours to reverse rotation........ Just a thought.

Thanks Pat, I'll give them a call. Would I then need a different pitman arm? and Mrfusion said something about a bracket? Also, (I'll do a search, honest [duhhh]) does it use the same center link Thanks...Mark

oliver foster 03-06-2017 05:35 PM

I believe all the parts are different. Steering box, bracket, pitman arm and drag link. Even the steering shaft [or at least the joint] needs too be addressed depending on which RR box you use and the spline count of it.
I would think getting the set up from MrFusion and having the box rebuild would be the way I would do the swap.

maybe368 03-06-2017 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3322533)
I believe all the parts are different. Steering box, bracket, pitman arm and drag link. Even the steering shaft [or at least the joint] needs too be addressed depending on which RR box you use and the spline count of it.
I would think getting the set up from MrFusion and having the box rebuild would be the way I would do the swap.

Thanks Oliver I pm'ed him, he is probably deciding if he want to sell, I don't blame him if he doesn't, these parts are getting pretty rare :cool:. Do you know offhand which vehicles had them? Thanks...Mark

oliver foster 03-06-2017 06:21 PM

'72-'76 Powerwagon [W-100 through W-300s] and Ramchargers where the only vehicles I know of that had that RR box set up.

maybe368 03-06-2017 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3322541)
'72-'76 Powerwagon [W-100 through W-300s] and Ramchargers where the only vehicles I know of that had that RR box set up.

Thanks Oliver, that seems like a very limited supply. If I can find one, the tie rod, pitman arm and all the steering components is what I need, correct?...Mark

oliver foster 03-07-2017 05:21 AM

That would be it. Other than those parts I bought new lines and installed a stock Dodge V-10 power steering cooler in my return line that I had been saving for that project. I also bought a new Borgeson steering shaft.

maybe368 03-07-2017 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3322578)
That would be it. Other than those parts I bought new lines and installed a stock Dodge V-10 power steering cooler in my return line that I had been saving for that project. I also bought a new Borgeson steering shaft.

Thanks Oliver, my path is now clear...Mark

mknittle 03-07-2017 08:26 AM

The hose ends will be different but an easy fix. the RR box is inverted flare and the dodge pump is O-ring. If you use a 1960s-1970s (GM are easiest to find) flow control valve the in the back of the pump both will be. inverted flare.I think the stock 72hose will work and the return is easy. It is when you have a hydroboost that gets a little more complicated.

maybe368 03-07-2017 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info Mark. I was just laying in my Jacuzzi tub down here in Mexico and I think that the hot water stimulated blood flow to my crusty old brain. I had an epiphany, there are many old wrecking yards down here with many old Dodges. I even bought the hood ornament off of an old Ram Charger, that was surrounded by other Ram Chargers. Soooooo, I think that I'ma gonna' go junkin' [guitar][guitar]. I have to turn my VW in, on April 1st so I have some time to track some down. Heck, If I find enough of them, I may make these not so rare. Mark, I have a high quality brake line flaring kit, do you think that an o-ring setup could just be double flared? Thanks a million guys :rock:...Mark

mknittle 03-07-2017 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3322589)
Thanks for the info Mark. I was just laying in my Jacuzzi tub down here in Mexico and I think that the hot water stimulated blood flow to my crusty old brain. I had an epiphany, there are many old wrecking yards down here with many old Dodges. I even bought the hood ornament off of an old Ram Charger, that was surrounded by other Ram Chargers. Soooooo, I think that I'ma gonna' go junkin' [guitar][guitar]. I have to turn my VW in, on April 1st so I have some time to track some down. Heck, If I find enough of them, I may make these not so rare. Mark, I have a high quality brake line flaring kit, do you think that an o-ring setup could just be double flared? Thanks a million guys :rock:...Mark

Are you thinking just cutting and double flaring the steering gear end of the hose?

BHD 03-07-2017 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3322592)
Are you thinking just cutting and double flaring the steering gear end of the hose?

That's what I did in my '74 W200 conversion. No leaks yet.

maybe368 03-07-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3322592)

Yes and I see that someone had done it, so I'll move down a post...Mark

maybe368 03-07-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by BHD (Post 3322597)
That's what I did in my '74 W200 conversion. No leaks yet.

So did you just cut enough to get rid of the "rib" for lack of a better word?...Mark

bigragu 03-07-2017 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3322589)
I have to turn my VW in, on April 1st so I have some time to track some down....Mark

Curious to know if your turning it in due to the VW " We got caught" blunder/recall. I keep telling my wife, blunder or not, I would have still kept mine if I owned one of those ones that fell under the recall. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm sure there are some aftermarket computer boxes out there that would de tune it to correctly pass smog, then I'd put it back to the finagled high output setting that VW had it at before they got caught. I've always wanted a diesel VW, for my Bay Area commute. Awesome vehicles.

mknittle 03-07-2017 11:45 AM

That sounds like a win-win.