1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

question about timing you havent heard

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about timing you havent heard

i have already timed my truck, but noticed it was a pain to turn the pump. mainly because after i turned it, it would then return to the original position. the question is, would this be cured by loosening the injector lines? is it recommended?

its all said and done but thinking about the stress the injector lines have in them.

Pat
Old 04-20-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, loosening the injector lines will help relieve the tendency for the pump to rotate back to its previous position.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest reason I have seen for pumps wanting to come back is the anerometer (sp) line. If you revome it you can keep the pump in place while you tighten it. It's not all that hard to re-install the line after you have the pump where you want it.

Bob
Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the above contributes to the pump wanting to "return" to it's original position.
Personally the hassle of loosening all those lines, loosing prime and re-tightening them is too much....I'm just lazy I guess.
I have done quite a few and I don't go that route....

I loosen off all the nuts and the one bolt then snug up the center nut...tap, heave, wheezzz...yank etc till it moves up then hold it while you firm up that center nut...if it moves before you can get that far, then snug the nut a bit more.
I use a rubber mallet on/at the AFC housing/pump body joint and push with my left hand while hitting it with the mallet... if you've got the nut snugged up just right it'll move upwards and hold till you can get the 'ole wrench on it to tighten it down....and no, I've never had one break, leak, or otherwise get pooched this way..

Oh, one last thing...remember that the holes in the pump flange are slotted...so, the pump will only go so far then no amount of beating and howling will help..

pb....