1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Putting dogs and Dodges down to rest

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Putting dogs and Dodges down to rest

I know we love our Dodges, and most of us our dogs too around here.

Well, my oldest dog past as the sun set on Christmas eve.
I have seen it coming for a long time as I have never had one of my Mastiffs live to be 12 years old.
She picked a small grove of pine trees off the yard to be alone as she past.
It was how she wanted to go obviously.
I visited her often through the day.
Well I just got the neighbor over with his tractor and we buried her right next to her two daughters that past last Feb.
I then dug up three small spruce trees from the pine grove she past in and planted them in a row over their graves.
I guess I have a new Christmas tradition of decorating them now.
I am just glad the ground was not frozen so I could bury her.

I spent a bunch of the rest of the weekend, prepping the '85 crew cabs and '91.0 for a winter rest as well.
Filling them with Power Service and letting them idle for a while. I do this in case I need to move them in the winter and realize they are full of summer blend.
I got ALL the food, paper and clothing out of them to discourage mice.
I then cleaned out the shed for a place for the white crew cab to over winter.
I parked the '91.0 out of harms way of the plow, but still where I could drive it out of the snowbank, in case I get time to work on the interior this winter.

Well other than getting the plow mounted on my old plow truck, I think I am ready for winter now.

Sorry for the long ramble, but you other dog owner will understand.

So… The remaining 3 dogs and I are off to wrench in the shop, listen to some old metal CDs and have a few brews.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Man,

I'm sorry to hear about your Puppy, Oliver.

You know I'm feeling the pain with you right now, even though I never met her. Something us dog lovers experience together...

Cherish the memories of her, which I know you will, as someday the rainbow bridge will bring you back together.... Glad you chose to mark her and her kids memories with the trees. Every time you look at those trees, she'll be in your thoughts...and in your heart.

She had a great life with you. Always remember that...

Attached Thumbnails Putting dogs and Dodges down to rest-pooch.jpg   Putting dogs and Dodges down to rest-pooch-train.jpg  
Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys.
T-man the picture of my remaining pups was a nice touch. The picture of just one dog is Daisy [Duke of course], the last daughter I have from the dog I buried yesterday.

Well, last night I poured a beer, threw in a Soulfly CD and rolled out the 12V that came with "Moonshine" the Ramcharger I drove to AZ to pick up.

If you had followed that thread, it would appear that I bought a project that needed a few more hours to finish it up.

Well that is not what happened.

I was supposed to be buying a NON intercooled motor with a custom aluminum intake horn / plate to use a 2nd gen turbo.

Well I got a intercooled 12V, and the custom intake horn / plate wasn't quite welded up when I picked up the truck.
I ask what happen to the NON intercooled motor?
He said he sold it as he like this 12V "better".
He then asked what is the difference?….AAARG! Only the head, injectors, lines, fan, fan hub, upper radiator outlet, intake plate, intake horn, throttle brackets, wiring, and even the stock power they make.

So I would NEED that custom aluminum plate to help work the intercooled motor and NON intercooled parts together
I said no worries send it along when you get to welding it up and I will even pay for the shipping.

Well over a year and a half later, I get no answer when I call and the last contact I had with him made it pretty apparent that he had no intentions of ever doing what he said he would.

That puts me in a spot where I need to re-invent a half done project.
I don't own a shop that makes custom parts like he did, so I will have to rely on my stash of Dodge cummins parts.

So I have a '92 12V that I need to NON intercool, so I can keep the AZ '89 core support that I got with the project. I want it look like the '89 RC it is and not use the '91-'93 grille and core support

I figured it was time to try and sort it out.

I started by tapping a hole for a pyro probe on the exhaust manifold.
Then pulling the 2nd gen motor mounts he was going to use on some brackets off the frame that he never made.
I then eyed out using a 24V intake horn flipped 180* and the 2nd gen turbo, that is in a box, that I will need to re-clock. Maybe I can make it work with some custom intercooler boots and a little re working of the 24V horn…
I really don't want to swap out the earlier 12V lines and intake plate, ETC as the injector lines and other parts form AZ are so pretty and rust free...

At least I am working on it finally.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
The paradox of pet ownership is that we most always outlive them. Every time we lose an animal we go through the thought process of - do we want to do this again. I think the quality time spent together out weighs the pain of losing them.

Still, it is never easy and I feel your sorrow. We may get another one but we never replace them.

A peaceful death after a "long" full life is always better that having to make the decision to put them down.

Odd to be wintering at the end of December huh? It's been in the 70s here...
Old 12-28-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oh man... so sorry for your loss Oliver.. What an amazing way to honor and remember your family. Truly a class act.

Cheers to whatever 2016 Hold for all of us!!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 AM

sdseva, you have met my girls before before you moved out west.

I played some Slayer last night as well.

Definitely the dogs are a big part of the family.
The spruce trees are just Charlie Brown style right now, so it will just be a decoration or two each for a few years.
I have dug up a planted trees from the forest before and the bigger one don't take it a well.

KRB yeah the weather has been really warm here. Typically in late December I might not be able to dig holes in the ground.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes sorry to here and on Christmas eve to boot , yes dam animals do get under your skin they really are part of the family and hard to let go they do have a short life span compared to us and we do miss them alot
Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Very sorry to hear Oliver. Pets become children to us very quickly.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Hey, Oliver, sorry man, I'm surprised at a sad time like that you would take the time to even send me pics of throttle cables of all things- naw, man, pets are family, especially a good dog. Keep telling my wife it's gonna be a sad day when we lay Cody down, the Shepard that was in the pic with my truck(truck pic tread). Since I've moved out here to the country 19 years ago, we have put down and buried 5 dogs. It never gets any easier. Hopefully you have lots of pics of your dog
Old 12-28-2015, 06:38 PM

Yeah freight train and bigragu, that was why it took me a few days to get back too you guys about parts. I have been less than fired up.

It actually got me to take a little "me" time and start working on "Moonshine" that past two nights a bit.
That is cool.
I will start a thread on it shortly as I have tons of stuff to dial in.
I would like to have it on the road next summer…okay the gauntlet has been thrown down.
On that note the project will now be called the Gauntlet as Moonshine sounds like a better name for some chick's Neon.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Yeah freight train and bigragu, that was why it took me a few days to get back too you guys about parts. I have been less than fired up.

It actually got me to take a little "me" time and start working on "Moonshine" that past two nights a bit.
That is cool.
I will start a thread on it shortly as I have tons of stuff to dial in.
I would like to have it on the road next summer…okay the gauntlet has been thrown down.
On that note the project will now be called the Gauntlet as Moonshine sounds like a better name for some chick's Neon.
Yes indeed, the Gauntlet is definitely a manly, studly name for your project Oliver. Speaking of dogs, our daughters beautiful 10 year old 100lb black Lab named Clark had his tail chopped in half yesterday when the pizza delivery guy pulled the house door shut without realizing that the poor hounds tail was caught in it. It took an emergency room visit at the vet clinic and just over $600.00 to stitch up the tail and calm the poor dog. Antibiotics and a bunch of other prescriptions, I feel so sorry for the dog.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss Oliver.