1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pump Recall

I have a mid 92' and the pump is all black. I really can't read the numbers on the pump tag. How can I tell if my truck was included in the pump recall and if it was done. If it was recalled and it was not done will they still do it? Bill
Old 01-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Pump Recall

I went to the dealer that I bought my truck from to check on mine. They have all the past history of the truck in the computer if it was done thru DC. Luckily, mine had a new pump on it. If yours has not been done, you will still have to pay for it. Due to your warranty being out.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:18 PM

I thought if it was a safety recall they had to fix it even if it was out of warranty. Only recalls they didn't have to fix out of warranty was updates and things like that. Oh well, guess I will still check and see if the update was ever done. Bill
Old 01-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Administrator

You may be right, but, when I was talking it over with service manager, he said I would have to pay for it if the recall has not been done on my truck and it was out of warranty.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Chapter President

A recall must be fixed there is no time limit....any dealer can check it with your VIN# and mileage..you can ask for a printout sheet also with all you truck info
Old 01-31-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have missed out on reading the topic on the pump recall. What was the recall about and what trucks were included? I am asking because mine was built in mid 92 and has a black pump on it also.<br><br>Thanks<br>John
Old 02-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Administrator

If you want to see if your truck was supposed to have the recall. Go to THIS page. At the very bottom you will see the All Data section, select your year and it will give you the recalls and TSB's.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I had no idea about this recall, DOH!<br><br>So I printed out the date codes and popped open the hood -- there are NO tags on my pump. No rivet holes in the housing either. I washed the paint off down to bare metal where the tag should be.<br><br>The pump is black, and did not appear to have been tampered with (before me). Though it's gasket to the timing cover was not painted over??<br><br>Anyone know if any pumps came from the factory w/o tags? Or do I have to assume that some pump shop washed the original tag off, painted the pump, and slapped her back on the truck?<br><br>Thanks fellas,<br><br>Alec
Old 02-03-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I would say a pump shop or someone else removed the tag/plate. Pumps came from Bosch with a plate with stamped in numbers and letters. Dodge replaces the pump and it has a Mopar tag at bottom fender side of pump. Cummins or Dodge would have had this to identify specs.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:36 PM

I went to the dealer today and after haggling with the @!#%$^&amp; lady on the otherside of the counter. They finally looked my VIN number up. Only made me wait a half hour &gt; They handed me a piece of paper and said there was no recalls for my truck. So I guess mine was not included in the recall. It did show however the last time my truck was ever at a dealer was at 5,642 miles. It now has 199,000 on it. That is probably why it has run so long. They haven't had their ahnds on it.<br><br>Also when the lady asked me how many miles were on it and I said 200,000 her reply was &quot;you know it's out of warranty&quot; my reply was &quot; you know you still have to fix it, if it is recalled ;D&quot;. She thought different, but I informed her that it was a NHTSA recall and that promptly put her into action. I was hoping to get to have to threaten to call the zone manager . Bill
Old 02-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Atta boy Farmall... talk about uninformed or lazy, either way, not good in this case since runaway can have fatal consequences for driver an passengers..geeezzz..<br><br>bob.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:46 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you for the information on the Recall Center. I called, and didn't even have to hold for too long. The woman on the line was efficient and helpful -- but no new pump for me, I'm sad to say. My VIN is not included in the recall, even though I have a '91 with an aftercooler.<br><br>Thanks for the help!<br><br>Alec
Old 02-05-2003, 01:42 PM

I called mine in also and yes you are right they were very helpful and very nice folks. Mine also was not involved in the recall but she did say she needed to enter my information in their system for future recalls so it may be a good idea to touch base with them just to see that you are in the system.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:17 AM

I'm wondering if i got screwed by the ******* when my pump went out. I didn't know about the recall and bought a rebuilt pump ($1500) and I wonder if they had to pay for it. I didn't feel comfortable there but I was stuck on the road with no tools so I had no choice.

Quick Reply: Pump Recall