1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Project Started(Pictures!)

Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking Project Started(Pictures!)

Well it has been a busy month but I finally have some pictures of the progress.

Those who haven't seen my previous posts, I am recreating a paint job that I mocked up on photoshop. This was the final paint scheme I came up with

It has been a bit of messing around to get fenders to fit properly; with the damage to the rad support, but finally got it lined up well. The inner splash guards will still need to be modified yet, I have an idea to make it pretty simply that I will post pictures as the build goes. As for everything else:

Spent a lot of time prepping the cab and inners of the hood, fenders, doors, cowl and cab. Typical roof rust was cleaned up

Floor got a thick layer of bedliner, as will the bottoms of the rocker panels, fender wells and bumpers....possibly grill.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 AM

Project Started *Pictures*

After that was all finished me and my friend went over the whole truck and cleaned up rock chips, dents and scratches, getting it ready for a layer of "hotrod black".

I have never been a huge fan of big lifted trucks ;to each their own, but it just doesn't seem practical to me. So instead of getting the 6+ inch lift I would need to clear 38.5 inch tires, I decided to tuck them into the fenders a bit, by trimming the sides out roughly 4 inches on the back and 5 on the front. Looks darn near stock and the rear can fit the intire Michelin XL into its wheel well! The front will need about a 3 inch lift to level the truck out and give the tires a bit more room to breath...the fronts will also fit the entire Michelin inside I will try and get them all mounted on the truck in a couple weekends and get some better pics ASAP

Here is a before and after shot of the front right fender

The front fenders as of today have been opened up another inch on both sides.

I will be going back next weekend... Work my butt off and get this truck painted!!! I will keep posting pictures of my progress as it goes.

Let me know what you guys think, this is my first project thread, and I am pretty excited to be able to share something with you all for a change!!

Cheers,
Scott
Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking real good there Scott! I'm a bit intimidated by all the work involved, as well as my truck being my DD. It's gotta happen sometime though, she's starting to rust in front of my eyes... I like the way you've shaved some off the fenders but as you say, it still looks pretty much stock. Keep it up!!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 AM

Looks awesome man. I definitely like the black accents on the grille and mirrors.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job on the fender trimming!!!! How did you do the fender mods? Did you cut & fold in or reweld the new lip back in?
Jim
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 AM

That thing is gonna look really nice when it's all done. Are you going to rework the stock front inner fenders or just make new ones? I'm asking because I was thinking of cutting my front fenders like this and I'm not quite sure what to do about the inner fender after I do, I will most likely end up altering the stock ones to fit the larger opening.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 AM

looking good!....its sooooo much work getting a truck ready to paint iv been busting my hump for over a week now and i'm not half way done....so i feel your pain!....keep it up!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks guys!

It sure has been a lot of work, but its going to feel good once its all done.....lol if i'm ever able to say im done

Jungle,
The easiest solution was to cut and fold in a new lip. I just made a little cardboard jig and went from there.

Bigone
I was messing around with fitment on the weekend, and I think I found a way to be able to use the stock splash guards with little modification. I will take pictures of what I do and show you all.

Stay tuned everyone
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is a idea on how to do it the tires are Michellin 325-85R 16's but the bed was a drw bed http://www.slide.com/r/5Fc1swrk7z_CDNSNofSr7eS2GRlJrssA
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great Idea on the fender trimming, and they look great! That really looks like an interesting idea. Make sure you take you drag link into account. I have no lift with 35's and they rub the drag link where it meets the piitman arm when I turn right. They're tucked under the truck pretty good though. Looks GREAT! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks shamran! Ill be sure to keep everyone posted. My truck will be off the road for a few more months. During that period im going to beef my frame and set up cross-over steering. Stock steering will struggle with 100lbs Michelins on...I was thinking about putting hydraulic assist steering as well.

Last edited by MoPowa; 04-06-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I typed it on my phone and made lots of gramatical mistakes.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Little update.

Major body work is done
High build primer is being blocked, epoxy sealed and sprayed HotRod Black this week.
If all goes well, the silver will be very shortly after

Next to come once truck is painted.

Bed-line entire lower section of body that gets pelted with rocks, as well as 2 inches above fender lip.
Cross-over steering and 3 inch lift. Unsure of clearance issues yet, may have to bend link to clear cross-member. Or run a reverse rotation gearbox...

Here are some pictures I took with the military tires mounted on the truck. Definitely no clearance issues with the fenders
Attached Thumbnails Project Started(Pictures!)-img_0187.jpg   Project Started(Pictures!)-img_0197.jpg   Project Started(Pictures!)-img_0190.jpg   Project Started(Pictures!)-img_0191.jpg  
Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM

I am in the process of looking for a 18x9 wheel and streetable 38 inch tire. Might look into some slightly used toyos.
I'm choosing to go with 18's to keep my sidewalls as stiff as possible. Less wander when driving
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoPowa
Little update.

Major body work is done
High build primer is being blocked, epoxy sealed and sprayed HotRod Black this week.
If all goes well, the silver will be very shortly after

Next to come once truck is painted.

Bed-line entire lower section of body that gets pelted with rocks, as well as 2 inches above fender lip.
Cross-over steering and 3 inch lift. Unsure of clearance issues yet, may have to bend link to clear cross-member. Or run a reverse rotation gearbox...

Here are some pictures I took with the military tires mounted on the truck. Definitely no clearance issues with the fenders

Are those 1100-16's ? you might want to trim the front part of the fender some I think it's going to hit when you drive it . Look's good thou
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Yea those are 11.00R16's. Only off-road tires, and the front will still be getting 3 inches of lift.

Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Started(Pictures!)