1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

power window conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power window conversion

I figured I'de post this here too. If you have a 72-93 dodge truck with manual windows this is where you will need to drill the holes to put 82-93 power window assemblies in. Using these measurements the stock power window assemblies will be a direct bolt in deal. Hole A is slotted in the factory doors so if you need a bit of adjustment I'de slot that hole, but I didn't need to for either one of my doors. All the horizontal measurements are from the inside of the door jam that the hinges bolt to. All the verticle measurements are from the very bottom of the door sill area. Hopefully this will help somebody.
Attached Thumbnails power window conversion-a1.jpg   power window conversion-a2.jpg   power window conversion-a3.jpg   power window conversion-a4.jpg  
Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Done stuck it.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 PM

That's cool. I'm doing power windows on the rear doors of my crew cab too. Whenever I get that all done I'll post the pics and what's involved too.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM

is there a wiring harness to plug into or do you have to figure out your own power and stuff. i am asking cause last fall i bought window regulators and arms and power locks and the switches from a 91. my truck is a 93 and has all manual. i have not found anything on the wireing for this. the guy i bought the stuff from just cut the harness at the door jamb, not listenign to me when i said i need the whole harness from in side the cab. any info would be great
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 93stacks
is there a wiring harness to plug into or do you have to figure out your own power and stuff. i am asking cause last fall i bought window regulators and arms and power locks and the switches from a 91. my truck is a 93 and has all manual. i have not found anything on the wireing for this. the guy i bought the stuff from just cut the harness at the door jamb, not listenign to me when i said i need the whole harness from in side the cab. any info would be great

On one of the old gas-burner Dodge shop trucks, 1st Gen. body-style, your guess is as good as mine what year-model, I can't recall why, but I had to completely re-wire the power-windows from scratch, even replacing the switches.

I used momentary DPDT CENTER-OFF switches, a plain old heavily-fused HOT from the battery, and a GROUND.

The power-window circuit is nothing more than a reversible polarity circuit and is actually very simple once you think about it.

The motor wires get connected to the center terminals of the DPDT switch, and the HOT and GND go to both ends, with HOT-GND on one end and GND-HOT at the other end.

Once you get all the wires connected, if the window goes DOWN when you push the switch UP, simply reverse the position of the motor wires on the switch, and that should fix it.

Myself, I am going the opposite direction; I have two trucks with perfectly good power-windows and I am on the hunt for doors that have the crank-style windows to swap into them.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
When you do wire them up, convert them to "always hot". That way you can roll them up/down with the ignition off. Big convenience factor when its parked and you want them down due to the sun and then when they're down and it starts to rain.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
When you do wire them up, convert them to "always hot". That way you can roll them up/down with the ignition off. Big convenience factor when its parked and you want them down due to the sun and then when they're down and it starts to rain.
But very dangerous if it's possible that kids could ever be in the truck cab alone. Children have been strangled to death playing with power windows.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by james1
But very dangerous if it's possible that kids could ever be in the truck cab alone. Children have been strangled to death playing with power windows.
I think that would be very hard to accomplish with the position of the switches in the trucks, but anything is possible. Just need smarter kids, thats all, just kidding.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM

Kids that ain't got no more sense than to play with the power-windows ought to be strangled.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I've often thought that our society's obsession with safety is making our species less intelligent...
The following users liked this post:
jimbo486 (11-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I've often thought that our society's obsession with safety is making our species less intelligent...

Yeah, you have a point there.

All them ignorant kids that used to get their heads chopped off in power-windows now live to multiply.

Same goes for them that used to stick hair-pins, keys, and such in wall-sockets; now they have GFCI and little plastic covers.

Back on track, now.

Yes, I would make the windows direct all-the-time HOT, with a secret dis-able toggle somewhere in the mix.

Reason for the dis-able is so that some intrepenour (did I spell that right ??) cannot manage to nudge the switch with a yard-stick or somesuch and let himself in your truck.

When the windows are UP and you are locking up and leaving, you have the option of killing power to the windows.

Many is the seat that has gotten soaking wet on account of the key-holding driver being out of pocket when a sudden shower came up.

Of course if we all had good old sensible crank-windows like myself, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Ignore us, we ain't all there.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Yeah, you have a point there.

All them ignorant kids that used to get their heads chopped off in power-windows now live to multiply.

Same goes for them that used to stick hair-pins, keys, and such in wall-sockets; now they have GFCI and little plastic covers.

Back on track, now.

Yes, I would make the windows direct all-the-time HOT, with a secret dis-able toggle somewhere in the mix.

Reason for the dis-able is so that some intrepenour (did I spell that right ??) cannot manage to nudge the switch with a yard-stick or somesuch and let himself in your truck.

When the windows are UP and you are locking up and leaving, you have the option of killing power to the windows.

Many is the seat that has gotten soaking wet on account of the key-holding driver being out of pocket when a sudden shower came up.

Of course if we all had good old sensible crank-windows like myself, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
I sometimes think just how my life might have been different if I hadn't experienced 120 volts at 6 months of age, cloth diaper sitting on a damp concrete floor, I was a perfect conductor.

I must have driven my parents nuts with the things that I had done before the age of 10.

It is funny how when you get older, you have to ask a child to open the childproof cap on your medicine bottles.
Jim
Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel

Hmmm; that may well be the case. But can you explain the anecdotal evidence suggesting that some of the least safety-conscious folks on our forum are some of the most atrocious spellers in our society?

Just kidding. And I agree with BK, my preference is for hand-crank window regulators.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Hmmm; that may well be the case. But can you explain the anecdotal evidence suggesting that some of the least safety-conscious folks on our forum are some of the most atrocious spellers in our society?
For the very same reason! They don't have to think - spellcheck does it for them. Takes all the initiative & responsabilty away

Can't do math either - they all have a caculatur

Quick Reply: power window conversion