1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pondering an Electromagnetic disaster vs 12v

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Subliminal
Total tangent here, but I don't know why they even bothered with the open differential cummins trucks. Mine won't even get out of the driveway with the lightest snow covering unless I lock the hubs. Grrr...makes you feel stupid, driving a big truck that won't make it up a driveway.
[/end tangent]
That is operator error... this 1990 is my first Cummins with a posi( the 1991's were both open 3.07's ) and I never had much ov an issue getting where I wanted to go. And I am most certainly a Yankee from where it does snow!
cheers,
Douglas
Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bah! Operator error my butt. You just can't turn the tight corner at the bottom and have enough speed to get up the hill with one 33x12.5 trying to do all the pushing!

...and I'm from so far north that we can't even see no damned Yankees.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Obviously this is an important subject because we are going to need reliable transportation if we are to meet at the Brewery and find a way to bring production back on line
Bah, we don't need no steenking Brewery......... A copper kettle, some copper tubing, and magic juice is born!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
And that's why we're friends, SgtMaj Ellis. De Oppresso Liber!!
Semper Fi! Gunny Sgt!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
This is funny... a guy I work with and I were having a conversation about this exact topic. He didn't believe that my truck would run without the PCM after much debating. I told him all I need is two tie wraps and about a foot of #12 THHN (wire). So when we got back to the shop, I unplugged my computer completley, jumped out any "running" relays, tie wrapped the shut down sol. to run position, then jumped out the starter with a screw driver and did a victory lap around the parking lot. I pleaded him to do the same with his Duramax, he didn't want to "fry anything" though.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
This is funny... a guy I work with and I were having a conversation about this exact topic. He didn't believe that my truck would run without the PCM after much debating. I told him all I need is two tie wraps and about a foot of #12 THHN (wire). So when we got back to the shop, I unplugged my computer completley, jumped out any "running" relays, tie wrapped the shut down sol. to run position, then jumped out the starter with a screw driver and did a victory lap around the parking lot. I pleaded him to do the same with his Duramax, he didn't want to "fry anything" though.
Nice i like the THHN part, i have started a few vehicles in the junkyard with that ;-)

Originally Posted by Subliminal
Bah! Operator error my butt. You just can't turn the tight corner at the bottom and have enough speed to get up the hill with one 33x12.5 trying to do all the pushing!

...and I'm from so far north that we can't even see no damned Yankees.
Even though it IS an open rear, BOTH tires are pushing the truck, until one has more or less traction than the other(turning).
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Yeah, I'd like to know when this has happened before???
The worst thing about it DTR probably won't be runnin' );
2012 baby....
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 PM

stupid backwords smiley faces.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 PM

Well, that's cause after that EMP, everything will be all jacked up.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 PM

I can just imagine this picture of all these first gens driving around....beautiful. Actually, I think on the Book of Eli there was a first gen dodge of some sort, but it didn't have a cummins....I need to invent a contraption that I can whizz into and put it in my fuel tank and run my truck...kinda like on Waterworld...another apocalyptic movie.....craziness....
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched them do an experiment some time ago out in the south west area, (on tv) took a vehicle (faily new one) and tried driving it through the EMP and everything quit on it.

I would have to do some research on it , but it seemed to me that it took all the energy from the battery as well, so it wouldnt matter what you 'jumped", you still wouldnt have any juice.

Ill have to read up on this when I get some more time.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 AM

solar panels would still work, the inverters that could potentially power your house(if modified) wouldn't work though.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by penguinman
I can just imagine this picture of all these first gens driving around....beautiful. Actually, I think on the Book of Eli there was a first gen dodge of some sort, but it didn't have a cummins....I need to invent a contraption that I can whizz into and put it in my fuel tank and run my truck...kinda like on Waterworld...another apocalyptic movie.....craziness....
There'll be IDI Ford and Mercedes running around too... nothing to their injection systems either, just turn on the fuel and crank them. At worst the EMP will make the air conductive enough to wreck spark ignition performance; no way it will worry a 12V Pb-A storage battery.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 PM

i'm thinking that the next EMP will be from a nuke... and we won't have to worry about starting trucks when that happens.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Originally Posted by penguinman
Yeah, I'd like to know when this has happened before???
The worst thing about it DTR probably won't be runnin' );
2012 baby....

NASA says it happened:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...ct_superstorm/

Quick Reply: Pondering an Electromagnetic disaster vs 12v