1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Piston lift pump upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have been running their kit for close to 8 years now, and probably over 100K miles, no issues what so ever. Still pumping out 8-10 psi at idle and around 10-12psi at WOT.
My stock Cummins lift pump runs 6 to 8psi at idle, with a new, clean filter. Standard OEM lift pump from Cummins, albeit a China part.

If you're not going for high HP, then whats the benefit of upgrade to the 2nd gen pump? My truck runs awesome with minimal mods.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
The lack of a diaphragm that when compromised, allows fuel & oil to mix is part of a piston pump's relative virtue.

The added pressure also allows for more/faster dynamic timing advance, and the added volume of the high volume units allow for better fuel cooling.

That's why a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) 30mm pump is so beneficial to the VE trucks.

Originally Posted by NJTman
My stock Cummins lift pump runs 6 to 8psi at idle, with a new, clean filter. Standard OEM lift pump from Cummins, albeit a China part.

If you're not going for high HP, then whats the benefit of upgrade to the 2nd gen pump? My truck runs awesome with minimal mods.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
The lack of a diaphragm that when compromised, allows fuel & oil to mix is part of a piston pump's relative virtue.

The added pressure also allows for more/faster dynamic timing advance, and the added volume of the high volume units allow for better fuel cooling.

That's why a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) 30mm pump is so beneficial to the VE trucks.
That was my reasoning on upgrading as well. More reliability. The leaking diaphragm thing always kind of freaked me out...on multiple levels.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
That was my reasoning on upgrading as well. More reliability. The leaking diaphragm thing always kind of freaked me out...on multiple levels.
I get it, but with the new pump, you can not gain the super clean engine internals that Edwin recently achieved.

Lol
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I get it, but with the new pump, you can not gain the super clean engine internals that Edwin recently achieved.

Lol
Yes! The cleanliness is definitely a plus!

My previous pump was the diaphragm type. It didn't rupture. It just quit pumping. I suspect it too was made in China and broke internally after less than 10,000 miles. I could see where the lever had pulled loose from the shaft and the primer lever wouldn't even move it.

The piston pump is much simpler in that the pushrod pushes the piston back to draw fuel from the tank then the spring pushes the piston to send fuel out. The size of the piston with the tension of the spring determines the pressure.

The cheap no-name piston pump I bought put out somewhere north of 45 psi which is what pushed the seal out of my VE injection pump and filled my crankcase with fuel and cleaned everything so nicely. As an added benefit The underside of the truck is well lubed from the overflow as well as the face shield of the motorcyclist who told me about it on the 91 freeway in Corona.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
The stock pump was weeping fuel so I​​​​​I installed the dieseltuff pump today. It was rather easy to do if you don't mind staying bent over the side of the truck for hours! Lol!

I had to remove the starter wires to get it in. I also had to do a little bending to the new output pipe as the fitting was canted a bit which would not allow the banjo bolt to line up.

The truck feels like it's got a little more pep to it. The throttle response seems to be more sensitive as well.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Fuel Tube

I just remembered the tube is correct for 6bt incorrect for 4bt . Sorry for the mistake .
mknittle (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant31781
The stock pump was weeping fuel so I​​​​​I installed the dieseltuff pump today. It was rather easy to do if you don't mind staying bent over the side of the truck for hours! Lol!

I had to remove the starter wires to get it in. I also had to do a little bending to the new output pipe as the fitting was canted a bit which would not allow the banjo bolt to line up.

The truck feels like it's got a little more pep to it. The throttle response seems to be more sensitive as well.
You’re gonna love that upgrade, especially when you decide to upgrade your injectors. Do you have a fuel pressure gage set up? Curious to know what your new readings are.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:38 AM

I have all the parts ordered to setup a gauge. I should have it setup next weekend.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have all the parts ordered to setup a gauge. I should have it setup next weekend.
This is a really interesting thread guys. Thanks for the great info. I've been contemplating an upgraded fuel pump for my rig.

FWIW, I recently installed an electric Isspro fuel pressure gauge. I'm running 5psi with the stock pump setup. It sounds like you do your research, but I'll pass on that you'll likely want to install a needle valve and/or snubber (I did both) inline before your gauge sensor to dampen the pulsing of the pump. I used Isspro's Snubber Kit R78826, which had everything I needed for my application in one convenient package. This link is the installation instructions for my gauge and there is a picture of the Snubber Kit on the third page - http://www.isspro.com/installation/IS169.pdf
bigragu (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
I teed off of the bleed screw port, and one side of the tee picked up my fuel pressure gage, and the other became the port for the bleed. But instead of using the factory bleed screw, I used a 1/8” NPT pet **** valve, so to make fuel bleeding tool less. Works slick.

Yes, as reccomended make sure to use a snubber, to save that expensive fuel pressure gage, and it would be a good idea to install inline before the sending unit a ball valve. My sending unit went bad once, and it was convenient to shut off any fuel dribble from the stainless braided hose set up of mine to the sending unit when I replaced it.

I sourced my snubber from Geno’s garage, my lines and ball valve I had made custom at a hydraulic shop. My line is 1/4” stainless braided.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys. I have a cheap Marshall mechanical 30 psi gauge from eBay and a needle valve to dampen the pulses. I bought the rest of the fittings from Napa.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I was going to install a mechanical gauge in my truck until I read that running a fuel line into the cab is a without an isolator in the line in case of a leak. I priced the isolator and all I could find are over $100 so I decided to pass.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the kit from Oregon Ok? There is a large price difference between their kit and the others.
looking at the oregon one from the pic it looks like the regular diagram one as compared to the low 14 PSI piston one
Old 10-28-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
You could run a banjo bolt into the bleeder screw and then screw the mechanical gauge into the banjo.

Great tool for filter change interval.

Temporarily run a long grease gun hose and zip tie it to the cowl to determine WOT fuel pressure drop.

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I was going to install a mechanical gauge in my truck until I read that running a fuel line into the cab is a without an isolator in the line in case of a leak. I priced the isolator and all I could find are over $100 so I decided to pass.

Quick Reply: Piston lift pump upgrade help