Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Persistent exhaust leak (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/persistent-exhaust-leak-326687/)

Lary Ellis (Top) 12-28-2016 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 93flatbed (Post 3318200)
. If you can't take a joke or even an out right attack on a keyboard then how scary is it to be in front of another man?

Actually I think you hit dead on the issue here...guys that like to talk trash behind a key board are seldom man enough to show up face to face. I myself have offered multiple times over the years to drive across country to meet and as of yet have had no takers.

The ones that pick the most are usually the weakest...that is why they pick, it is an attempt to make themselves feel bigger.

93flatbed 12-28-2016 10:53 PM

If that's a threat to me come on down to Arizona. I live in buckeye, drive a dark blue 2004 jetta and I work in Glendale. I'll happily give you my home address and my work address if you'd like? On the weekends I coach our son's football team, (please don't show up to that as that's for the kids. You're more than welcome to come if you'd like to cheer in the stands and you and I can go talk after the young men are done doing their jobs) I'm rarely home so work would be the more appropriate place to find me. I'm easy to spot, pretty much the only white guy with a shaved head and a 10" gottee around here.

I can promise I do not nor will ever hide behind my keyboard. I've had my arse whipped and I've came out bloody and smarter. I've also came out the winner a time or two. What's that old song say about the winner?

As to Mr. Fondler, not sure to be honest. Never met the man, but something tells me he'd be okay with meeting up for beers or what you'd like.

j.fonder 12-29-2016 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 3318203)
I myself have offered multiple times over the years to drive across country to meet and as of yet have had no takers.

i'm your huckleberry.

mknittle 12-29-2016 07:37 AM

What happened did somebody not get what they wanted for Christmas?
And where did all this BS about a safe space come from?

patdaly 12-29-2016 10:08 AM

Gentlemen ( And I use that term for now ), Jim is hardly in need of a safe space, nor would I be the one to randomly want to mess with him.

He is though, a perfectionist who takes great pride in a clean, thoroughly thought out solution to a problem, and we ALL are much better off for that.

Safe space? Nah, not needed, but some simple RESPECT for who the man is, and what he does for us is the LEAST any of us can give.

As for me, I could care less who you are and what you think you may be, I ain't driving across town to deal with you, I will just throw down the banhammer and you will be GONE.

So when one of us says trim your tailfeathers, it would be a wise decision to consider it.

I am sure we can all play relatively nice, right?

Lary Ellis (Top) 12-29-2016 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 93flatbed (Post 3318204)
If that's a threat to me come on down to Arizona. I live in buckeye, drive a dark blue 2004 jetta and I work in Glendale. I'll happily give you my home address and my work address if you'd like? On the weekends I coach our son's football team, (please don't show up to that as that's for the kids. You're more than welcome to come if you'd like to cheer in the stands and you and I can go talk after the young men are done doing their jobs) I'm rarely home so work would be the more appropriate place to find me. I'm easy to spot, pretty much the only white guy with a shaved head and a 10" gottee around here.

I can promise I do not nor will ever hide behind my keyboard. I've had my arse whipped and I've came out bloody and smarter. I've also came out the winner a time or two. What's that old song say about the winner?

As to Mr. Fondler, not sure to be honest. Never met the man, but something tells me he'd be okay with meeting up for beers or what you'd like.

Not sure how my quoting you and agreeing with what I thought was a "generalization" regarding internet attacks made you think I was threatening you....but one can never tell how someone will interpret what another says here.

This is a perfect example why intentionally insulting someone even as a simple poke creates a problem and why we don't allow it here....unless of course it is your best buddy and he KNOWS you are only poking him. ;)

ofelas 12-29-2016 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Can't we all just agree on pineapple as a diet instead of this violation of bro hug rights :banghead

j.fonder 12-29-2016 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 3318241)
Not sure how my quoting you and agreeing with what I thought was a "generalization" regarding internet attacks made you think I was threatening you....but one can never tell how someone will interpret what another says here.

This is a perfect example why intentionally insulting someone even as a simple poke creates a problem and why we don't allow it here....unless of course it is your best buddy and he KNOWS you are only poking him. ;)

Probably because no "internet attack" was made. A light hearted joke was made, someone got their feelings hurt, and it was blown out of proportion and made much more than it really was.

It's no secret that Jim is known for over-engineering a fix or procedure. That is something we all here can agree on and is by no means an insult, if anything, as stated in my deleted post, it's a compliment. No one was taking away from everything he's done for this forum and it's members, that was also a fabrication of hurt feelings.

The comment that started this, if made by one of the "good old boys" or to someone with a bit thicker skin would've been responded with something as "haha, you're right, just don't have the time to do it the right way." But lets face it, I'm not one of those "good old boys" as pointed out in another thread, which was started with the sole purpose of defaming me, which is clearly against your rules. That was a great display of dogpiling. Since I'm not one of the "good old boys" I received none of the support that has been shown in this thread.

Now lary, you'll want to point out that I think my way is the right way. Well I think we can all also agree that jamming 2 gaskets with some goop on them to seal up a warped head/exhaust manifold is not the BEST way of repairing the original problem.

My original comment, which has been edited out, could have also served as a chance to reflect on the fix and think "hmmm, do I really want to fix it this way?" Isn't that what this place is for?

patdaly 12-29-2016 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder (Post 3318262)
Probably because no "internet attack" was made.
<snip> <snip>
My original comment, which has been edited out, could have also served as a chance to reflect on the fix and think "hmmm, do I really want to fix it this way?" Isn't that what this place is for?

At the risk of pushing this where it really doesn't need to go, I invite you to read your words, while I edited out your post, they are still there for all to see in Jim's response to you.

Your exact posting : "You mean the mighty Jim lame is going to haphazardly repair something without completely overthinking and overengineering a fix? The browns won a game too, I guess hell truly has froze over."

I fail to see how anyone can not view that as a personal slam. If you were really intent on making people think, a more appropriate response would have been more along the lines of "That seems a bit haphazard of a repair for such a beautifully maintained truck"

There are ways of getting your point across without the snark.

As for your accusation of the "good old boys" getting away with it, show me some evidence, because I can show you more than one of the "good old boys" who got themselves banned when they got out of line.

Lary Ellis (Top) 12-29-2016 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder (Post 3318262)
Probably because no "internet attack" was made. A light hearted joke was made, someone got their feelings hurt, and it was blown out of proportion and made much more than it really was.

It's no secret that Jim is known for over-engineering a fix or procedure. That is something we all here can agree on and is by no means an insult, if anything, as stated in my deleted post, it's a compliment. No one was taking away from everything he's done for this forum and it's members, that was also a fabrication of hurt feelings.

The comment that started this, if made by one of the "good old boys" or to someone with a bit thicker skin would've been responded with something as "haha, you're right, just don't have the time to do it the right way." But lets face it, I'm not one of those "good old boys" as pointed out in another thread, which was started with the sole purpose of defaming me, which is clearly against your rules. That was a great display of dogpiling. Since I'm not one of the "good old boys" I received none of the support that has been shown in this thread.

Now lary, you'll want to point out that I think my way is the right way. Well I think we can all also agree that jamming 2 gaskets with some goop on them to seal up a warped head/exhaust manifold is not the BEST way of repairing the original problem.

You are wrong about the good old boy thing as you know I already went round and round with you on this subject previously via PM in an attempt to keep you from getting banned the last time this happened you simply can't help from posting with attitude.

I know you enjoy ruffling feathers elsewhere, I could care less until you bring it here.

Staying here is your choice from here on out.....your call to try to act within the forum rules you agreed to or not. This is why you were asked to check the box when you registered that you agreed to abide by the forum rules.

No one here has any desire to attempt to make you do anything you don't wish to do. The forum is free for your use as long as you hold up your end of the bargain. If you find yourself incapable of such a simple thing as being polite, we won't be angry if you move on.

93flatbed 12-29-2016 08:43 PM

Mr. Ellis, I'll say that if your comment to drive cross country to meet a forum member was meet in jest then okay. I'll publicly say that I read it as a threat, if it wasn't meant as that then I apologise. As stated earlier reading text with no bodily expressions makes a comment hard to judge. You're still welcome to come to AZ, I can show you the town, take you to a football game and go golfing or something else if none of those catch your fancy.

Mr. pat? sorry if I got your screen name/real name wrong, (first time trying this horrible tapatalk app and I'm going off memory of screen names). I'm more of a deplorable, so saying gentlemen wouldn't apply to me.

Mr. Fondler, get used to the good old boys club. I'll assume you're on the younger side, it's how it works. Give respect when it's due BUT call a turd when you see it. Don't worry in enough years you'll be with the old guys talking to the young crowd.

Whom ever said something about my safe space comment, you must not of seen the ordinal post that was neutered by the powers that be.

Mr. Lane, I stick by my thoughts that stacking gaskets is a bad idea. will it work? of course it will, it has for quite a few guy's and will continue to work. If by some chance (yes it's a very slight chance) a piece of your stacked gaskets got sucked in the turbo is in danger of becoming a blender. YES it's under pressure and it should push out, but things happen. I'd rather have a small exhaust leak than play the what if game. I'm really not sure who is a sponsor of this site so I'm going to say check with sponsors beforehand but Columbia river makes a nice extra thick copper gasket. Last thing I'll say is, Member when we were children and had a grass blade stretched out between out hands and blew into it?

mknittle 12-30-2016 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by 93flatbed (Post 3318280)
Mr. Ellis, I'll say that if your comment to drive cross country to meet a forum member was meet in jest then okay. I'll publicly say that I read it as a threat, if it wasn't meant as that then I apologise. As stated earlier reading text with no bodily expressions makes a comment hard to judge. You're still welcome to come to AZ, I can show you the town, take you to a football game and go golfing or something else if none of those catch your fancy.

Mr. pat? sorry if I got your screen name/real name wrong, (first time trying this horrible tapatalk app and I'm going off memory of screen names). I'm more of a deplorable, so saying gentlemen wouldn't apply to me.

Mr. Fondler, get used to the good old boys club. I'll assume you're on the younger side, it's how it works. Give respect when it's due BUT call a turd when you see it. Don't worry in enough years you'll be with the old guys talking to the young crowd.

Whom ever said something about my safe space comment, you must not of seen the ordinal post that was neutered by the powers that be.

Mr. Lane, I stick by my thoughts that stacking gaskets is a bad idea. will it work? of course it will, it has for quite a few guy's and will continue to work. If by some chance (yes it's a very slight chance) a piece of your stacked gaskets got sucked in the turbo is in danger of becoming a blender. YES it's under pressure and it should push out, but things happen. I'd rather have a small exhaust leak than play the what if game. I'm really not sure who is a sponsor of this site so I'm going to say check with sponsors beforehand but Columbia river makes a nice extra thick copper gasket. Last thing I'll say is, Member when we were children and had a grass blade stretched out between out hands and blew into it?

the "Safe place" crap has been thrown around here quite a bit lately.. As well as attacking members for thinking different. We all have diferent needs and uses from our trucks and attacking blindly is Bull crap!!

boeingguy 12-30-2016 07:41 AM

strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause...

- Victor Hugo

Sign of the times... civility has been lost, shortly followed by chaos

doesn't anyone just want to work on 12 valves? ....sigh

oliver foster 12-30-2016 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by boeingguy (Post 3318308)

doesn't anyone just want to work on 12 valves? ....sigh

That is what I am talking about….

It is dumping snow up here. My daughter and I just plowed the fresh foot of snow in the driveway with the old '93. After 45 minutes of plowing, on the last pass we popped a leak in an old hydro line to the plow blade. We are planning a nice mellow New Years Eve night in the shop working on the trucks we love. No "safe places", no internet tough guys, just having fun with the family and the dogs in the shop working on the stuff we love. Okay I might have a few beers and listen to some Iron Maiden, at the same time.[guitar]
Jim, you have my blessing to work on your truck how you see fit…and I will do the same.:chug: Jim thanks for taking the time with all your sticky write ups over the years as well!

Happy New Year to all here at DTR.

mknittle 12-30-2016 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster;3318326[/QUOTE
Jim, you have my blessing to work on your truck how you see fit…and I will do the same.:chug: Jim thanks for taking the time with all your sticky write ups over the years as well!

Happy New Year to all here at DTR.

+1 from me too