Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Parts to build an A518 to hold 350hp? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/parts-build-a518-hold-350hp-332203/)

Torque_Junkie 07-02-2019 01:15 PM

Parts to build an A518 to hold 350hp?

I'm pretty new to the diesel world and I have an experienced gentleman rebuilding my VE pump, injectors, and turbo. He tells me that it will create a lot of low end torque (and 350hp), I need to build up my transmission to hold the power. Exactly what do you guys recommend in parts/mods to get me there? I will not be pulling, this is just a daily/fun truck. Thanks in advance for whatever help can be offered.

j_martin 07-02-2019 09:08 PM

A shift kit (valve body kit), good clutches and bands, and a few hard parts, I forget what, but it isn't much. If you're not pulling a load, you'd probably like the stock torque converter better than a low stall converter. On the other hand, a low stall converter taakes some of the strain off the transmission because of a lower converter ratio.
Oh, and I almost forgot. The weakest part is the stock flex plate. How do I know?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...2025555f9c.jpg

Torque_Junkie 07-02-2019 09:14 PM

So how do I get said parts? And how do I know what parts are overkill and what aren't enough? (I'd rather go overkill, I just want to know where to spend more or less)

j_martin 07-03-2019 07:26 PM

Transgo shift kit.

1835910 Platinum Series SFI 29.1 Rated Steel Flexplate $140 or so on eBay

I like the Goerend Torque Converter. I pull pretty heavy though.

There's a couple of build threads in the FAQ section of this forum.

Torque_Junkie 07-03-2019 08:37 PM

Thanks, I did some more research on my own as well and from I can tell it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with billet servos and accumulator and of course the flex plate and shift kit. I'll have to see how it is with the stock converter. Thanks guys for the info, and to anyone wondering if this is enough for your build I'll continue to update this thread continually.

j_martin 07-05-2019 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Torque_Junkie (Post 3362184)
Thanks, I did some more research on my own as well and from I can tell it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with billet servos and accumulator and of course the flex plate and shift kit. I'll have to see how it is with the stock converter. Thanks guys for the info, and to anyone wondering if this is enough for your build I'll continue to update this thread continually.

With the stock TC, you'll be able to burn the tires off. With a low stall converter, not so much, but it'll drive more like a truck.

Torque_Junkie 09-02-2020 07:56 PM

Well it's been a long time, life got very busy and the project truck looked worse and worse with everything I took off. I ended up going overkill as I will probably want more power and wasn't looking to complicate the project even more with a 47RH swap. I ended up getting one of the SFI rated aftermarket stamped steel flex plates, a shift kit, 1500 RPM stall converter, alto red eagle master rebuild kit, the standard billet valve body pieces, a rigid intermediate band, the 1/4 inch taller overdrive spring, and stainless steel braided lines. There's probably a few things that I missing but that the main stuff. I'm finally about to get the engine and transmission installed again and will update on it's performance again when I get the opportunity to drive it once again.

Rug_Trucker 06-03-2023 12:42 PM

Never got an update on this thread.

Torque_Junkie 06-03-2023 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rug_Trucker (Post 3385241)
Never got an update on this thread.

That's because it still isn't done... After I got it all together I talked with a friend of mine who's a professional and realized I cut some seals as I put them in. It's been five years and that truck still isn't done. Life got in the way, I'll get it done one day but that day is far from today.

Rug_Trucker 06-03-2023 10:43 PM

Life happens!