Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Part Number Help - Wiper Arm Bushing (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/part-number-help-wiper-arm-bushing-275493/)

rebel_horseman 08-15-2010 02:47 PM

Part Number Help - Wiper Arm Bushing

OK my wipers decided to stop working today. Once I pulled off the wiper cowl I found that the plastic bushing where the arm attaches to the wiper motor has failed. Does anyone know if this is available at the Help! parts bin at the local parts house? If not does anyone have a part number.

ZSkibo 08-15-2010 03:04 PM

Dodge carries them. They're not expensive either which was a big surprise...couple of bucks is as close as I can remember.

jimbo486 08-15-2010 03:32 PM

Napa carries them for about $5 a pair. Napa P/N: 665-1537. I'd suggest buying 2 pair to replace all 4 bushings. It was an easy but fairly time consuming ordeal and you wanna be sure you reinstall the linkages exactly the way they came out. Otherwise you wouldn't wanna do it a second time like me [duhhh].

james1 08-16-2010 01:24 PM

a helpful old thread...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ghlight=wipers

I found the single most helpful tool in completing this chore was a good pair of channel-locks.

rebel_horseman 08-16-2010 01:29 PM

SCHWEET!! Thanks for the link. Now I have to try to fix the stupid things and not leave any more skin on the sharp sheet metal edges in there.

rebel_horseman 08-21-2010 12:58 PM

Finally managed to get around to fixing the wiper bushings. I found the bushings at the local O'reilly's in town. The bushings are called "Wiper Linkage Bushings" for Dodge/Chrysler vehicles part number is Help! 49440. These are found with the rest of the Help! products. I was surprised that 2 of the original bushings that are on the main control rod that hooks to the motor, were in bad shape whereas the bushings on the wiper arm mounts were not ad at all. I have to assume it's because those connection points were normally not in the sunlight, being hidden under the bracket.

Installation was a bit of a pain, but I found that the easiest repair method is to completely remove all of the control arms from the cowl. Once out of the truck you can more easily remove the old bushings. Installation of the new bushings is a bit difficult, but a pair of Channellocks definitely help. One the bushings are all installed in the arms, put them back into the cowl cavity then press them onto the wiper mounts and motor mount.

KD93 08-21-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by james1 (Post 2822790)
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ghlight=wipers

I found the single most helpful tool in completing this chore was a good pair of channel-locks.

YES! For this job, channel locks are your friend! [guitar] Jimbo486 had this problem last week or the week before, and someone else chimed in, (sorry, can't remember who) that drilling a small hole to let air escape when pressing the bushing on will help. Also, I always drop a dab of white grease on there to help prevent premature wear of the bushing... hasn't really prolonged the life expectancy though. [dummy] Really crummy design, that one.

Werner1111 08-13-2023 05:08 PM

Bringing back this old thread because it's the one that most closely related to my issue. Today, the bushing failed on my '93 W250 that connects the crank arm to the short rod at the end of the motor shaft, as described in the first post. I'm not talking about the 4 bushings that connect to the wiper arm pivots. It sounds like all the bushings are the same - the 4 bushings at the pivots and the 1 or 2 at the end of the motor shaft. Can anyone confirm this for me? I have looked at various parts diagrams and haven't found a listing for the one at the motor end. Thanks
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...4432374221.gif

edwinsmith 08-14-2023 10:37 PM

I haven't had to replace all of the bushings at once but AFAIK they are all the same plastic snap in thing. They are available in the help section at auto parts store and even have a bit of grease in them. You can but the whole set in one package IIRC.

Werner1111 08-15-2023 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith (Post 3386070)
I haven't had to replace all of the bushings at once but AFAIK they are all the same plastic snap in thing. They are available in the help section at auto parts store and even have a bit of grease in them. You can but the whole set in one package IIRC.

Thanks so much. I found them through Doorman and grabbed one this morning. Half of my bushing was missing, so I was having a bit of trouble identifying the right part visually.

Werner1111 08-17-2023 06:14 PM

Just a final follow up that the bushing is the same and works. The one that connects the crank arm to the motor arm is the same one used at the pivots.

edwinsmith 08-17-2023 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Werner1111 (Post 3386106)
Just a final follow up that the bushing is the same and works. The one that connects the crank arm to the motor arm is the same one used at the pivots.

Thanks for the clarity. I couldn't remember for sure.

Edwin

Shelby/Dakota 08-18-2023 11:13 AM

Just an FYI, a guy on facebook is making delrin replacements for the bushings. They are retained by a circlip, at 20 bucks I am planning on getting a set and giving them a go.

KRB 08-20-2023 05:11 AM

Please give us a review and photos once you receive them!

james1 01-10-2024 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota (Post 3386110)
Just an FYI, a guy on facebook is making delrin replacements for the bushings. They are retained by a circlip, at 20 bucks I am planning on getting a set and giving them a go.

I do not have a Facebook account -- if you try these units and like them could you possibly post some contact coordinates of the seller so I can purchase a set without using Facebook?

Thank you!