1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

OK, so convince me on Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on runnin amsoil with my next oil change cuz I am a preferred customer and can get it cheaper. Just pay $10 for 6 months or $20 for a year and you will become a preffered customer and you get anything from amsoil much cheaper! I run amsoil interceptor 2 cycle oil in my sleds and bikes and i really like it, so I'm gonna try it in the cummins and see how i like it. 15,000 miles to 25,000 miles til my next oil change sounds great to me! and cheaper in the long run!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Before you jump right into extended oil change intervals, get oil analysis done. Cranked up engines put more soot in the oil, and the oil can only hold so much soot before it starts dropping out of suspension and clumping up. Excessive soot was why I had to abandon extended oil changes.

If the cloud out your tailpipe is typical you would be better served by conventional oil changed at the factory interval.

For those interested in extended oil changes intervals, you should know that Amsoil and other synthetics are not required. Conventional oils can easily go 12-15k and even more depending on conditions and use. The important thing to remember is that you need to have oil analysis done to determine what interval is appropriate for you and your truck.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruralmedic
I've been there, done that with amzoil, and honestly can say that I didn't notice any increase in economy or performance to justify the higher cost. This is an internal combustion engine, so any oil in the crankcase with be subject to contamination. To achieve the extended drain intervals, you will see many users of this product installing additional filtering systems on their engines, which adds cost, and requires changing filters routinely and adding make-up oil. To safely extend the drain interval on your engine, you should send samples of used oil to a labortory for analysis, and this too adds cost again. I have seen numerous oil analysis reports of this particular brand oil thickening out of grade during extended use.

Synthetic lubricants in the driveline is another story. Internal combustion does not take place here, and the higher cost can be justified through safely extending the drain intervals.

As previously stated, the best virture of synthetic lubricants are temperature extemes. If cold cranking often in sub-zero weather, a synthetic engine oil may be of benefit. However, most published data on cold cranking viscosity is on new, fresh oil, one only knows what it is with accumulated mileage on it.
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Before you jump right into extended oil change intervals, get oil analysis done. Cranked up engines put more soot in the oil, and the oil can only hold so much soot before it starts dropping out of suspension and clumping up. Excessive soot was why I had to abandon extended oil changes.

If the cloud out your tailpipe is typical you would be better served by conventional oil changed at the factory interval.

For those interested in extended oil changes intervals, you should know that Amsoil and other synthetics are not required. Conventional oils can easily go 12-15k and even more depending on conditions and use. The important thing to remember is that you need to have oil analysis done to determine what interval is appropriate for you and your truck.

Both posts WELL SPOKEN.

If one follows the discussions of the high-dollar-oil/extended-drain-interval crowd, it will be noticed that by-pass filters, extreme-duty primary filters, and frequent oil-analysis are an accepted part of the game.

It soon becomes evident that economy is not so much the plan, as seeing just how clean and how long-lasting they can make a given batch of oil; sort of a hobby within a hobby.

I will not argue with the wisdom of high-quality oil, extreme filtration, and the mysterious information provided by religious oil-analysis; I wish my budget allowed for such.

Looking at all this from the poor man's side of the fence, it has been my observation that one dose of oil sent for analysis is about equivalent cost to a good FleetGuard filter and three-gallons of decent CI4 oil (providing you know where to shop), so any economy in "extended drain interval" has already gone out the window.

Looking at it from the "green" point of view, a poor man cannot afford the luxury of being "green", and must do as his limited means allows.

And besides, with my limited scientific abilities, I can barely discern bar-and-chain oil from 15W-40; how would I know if said laboratory actually "analyzed" my oil, or if they just dumped it down the drain and sent me a bunch of sophisticated bogus information that I barely understood ??
Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Both posts WELL SPOKEN.

If one follows the discussions of the high-dollar-oil/extended-drain-interval crowd, it will be noticed that by-pass filters, extreme-duty primary filters, and frequent oil-analysis are an accepted part of the game.

It soon becomes evident that economy is not so much the plan, as seeing just how clean and how long-lasting they can make a given batch of oil; sort of a hobby within a hobby.
This is very true for a lot of folks. Everybody needs a hobby.
Originally Posted by BearKiller
I will not argue with the wisdom of high-quality oil, extreme filtration, and the mysterious information provided by religious oil-analysis; I wish my budget allowed for such.

Looking at all this from the poor man's side of the fence, it has been my observation that one dose of oil sent for analysis is about equivalent cost to a good FleetGuard filter and three-gallons of decent CI4 oil (providing you know where to shop), so any economy in "extended drain interval" has already gone out the window.

Looking at it from the "green" point of view, a poor man cannot afford the luxury of being "green", and must do as his limited means allows.

And besides, with my limited scientific abilities, I can barely discern bar-and-chain oil from 15W-40; how would I know if said laboratory actually "analyzed" my oil, or if they just dumped it down the drain and sent me a bunch of sophisticated bogus information that I barely understood ??
If pursued as a hobby, it is not a poor man's game. But if you do it like a fleet manager would, it can save you a bunch of money. You don't need to sample constantly to do this safely. What you do is sample until you find a reasonable interval for the oil you want to use, then stick with that oil and that interval. Unless you make major changes to the tune on the truck or your driving habits, there is no reason for continual sampling. I would bet you will find that Wal-Mart oil and a standard filter will be just fine at 12 - 15k intervals - and that will save you the cost of a couple oil analyses very quickly.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Wink THE RICH MAN's SIDE OF THE FENCE

For about four years, I was general manager and farm boss for a well-to-do doctor with a couple hundred acres and every kind of equipment you could imagine.

This guy had an early 24-valve and was addicted to AMSOIL.

Every other week, which would be about 1500-miles, he would pull astraddle of a ditch, pop the drain-plug, and let the oil pour out (on the ground--no less), screw on a new AMSOIL filter, and dump in a fresh batch of AMSOIL oil.

If he hadn't been kinda weird about things, I would have caught that almost new oil and put it to good use in lawn-mowers, saw-mills, trading trucks, etc.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil analysis can be a valuable tool even for the average Joe, without a huge investment. You don't necessarily send in samples all the time. It's about learning how your specific engine runs, behaves in your enviroment with the oil/filter of your choice and how you drive it. These things are variables that change how the engine wears in small or large ways, depending.

I did three samples over the first two years owning this truck to determine how long I could safely run the oil. May never do another one, unless I decide to change something. It's just nice to know I'm saving money in the long run by not dumping oil that has another 2, 3, 4, maybe more thousand miles of good useable life left in it. My setup below is good for about 18k miles on a fill of Rotella T-Syn.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jer12377
Do you know if they used engine flush that Ams suggest before they installed it? I used it in the two Gas vehicles I own, but I was afraid to in my Cummings as it just turned 200k. I just put it in.
My neighbor found a sight that some independent company did an analysis of ALL brands of oil. I will try to get in touch with him and post it, its what convinced me.
nope no flush, he did ask what i ran before and thought that my truck had low milage at 164,000..... he drives a 7.3L powerstorke, he was jealous at my crappy 16-17 MPG
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 PM

What are ones thoughts on switching from amsoil syn back to rotella on say my 06.. I've been running it for the past 40k and haven't had an issue, but I've always changed 10-12k. Cause I figure oil is cheap compared to Engine parts.. But, since I do it that way, thinking it may be cheaper/better just to run Rotella with a Mopar filter. What are some of your guys thoughts??
Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

It will not hurt anything to change back and forth between brands and types of oil.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Hey Dave,
Which Donaldson ELF filter number is right for our trucks?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Adminstrator-ess

ELF7349 is the one you want. Standard filter is P558615
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 AM

If anyone does desire CI4 oil, Amsoil has several choices that are always in stock (at least everytime I've looked).

5W-30 synthetic
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx

10W-30 synthetic
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/acd.aspx

15W-40 synthetic
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

15W-40 synthetic blend
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/pco.aspx

As far as the "is it worth it" debate, I honestly believe that Amsoil makes a higher quality product. I've done a lot of research and looked at a lot of comparison tests, and Amsoil is always at the top of the pack if not the best. I know my truck is getting the best stuff put into it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM

My 2 Cents for what its worth
I run the Cummins blue In the new trucks I ran the synthetic on extended oil changes and am about to change the old one to Cummins blue Dino.
As far as price i get a really good rate with my power booster plus I can get the filters there to
only other place that would be better price for me is the Case IH Ag store just cuz its closer
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM

So after 3 pages of talking about oil nobody used delo? Does this mean i should not? Yall got me worried. That is what i have used for years.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM

lenuelmp23,
I think wannadiesel kind of addresses your concern and everyone's pretty simply. Pick a name brand oil that you feel comfortable with and you'll be ok.

What is important is changing the oil at the proper interval.( before it wears out or is over contaminated)

The proper interval can be found thru several oil analyses' getting an average interval based on your driving throughout a year or so. The interval lets you get your money's worth out of the oil you choose.You don't want to overrun an oil, and you don't want to throw useful product away. That's efficient. Oils that run longer cost more and vice versa. You may or may not need that.

IF you change an aspect of the equation i.e. pump tune, drive habits, dusty conditions,climate, etc, you need to re analyze the oil and find the new interval if necessary.
It is a simple scientific approach really. And very frugal and logical.

You will make yourself crazy ( as will the oil marketing people) by trying to find the best. That's like having an argument about what's the better truck with Ford and Chevy die hards in the room. It's all brand loyalty, perception and some opinions. I have never read a definitive thread on the best. It's like religeon, we are entitled to our own beliefs regardless of what the others try to persuade us with.

There are important choices to make when choosing oil like viscosity for anticipated climate etc. I am not saying oil is oil, I am saying take into account budget and conditions and anticipations and form your own opinion.

I am by no means an expert, but after going nuts trying to find the best, I realized that what's important is what has been said above. Now breathe a sigh of relief. Unless you didn't change your oil well past a reasonable interval, I think your baby will be ok. We are all like new mothers when it comes to engines, and usually we worry ourselves to much. Only a small amount of people actually will wear out a Cummins in our application. And that will be many miles beyond what most of us will ever see before we get rid of them. Unfortuneately they won't last forever but they are very robust.

Quick Reply: OK, so convince me on Amsoil