1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ok, lets do our dana 60 4x4 king pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
My steering is the best it's ever been, along with less noise under the truck. Just seems a tad different, noise wise. Gotta say, though, has to be up there with some of the toughest things I've done. Physically, slightly, but more mentally for me cause I try to make every move count. Made a ton of mistakes on the first side. I couldn't have swapped out the upper KP's w/o the help from my son
Hey Augie, glad you got it done. It's a pita, but now you have another few hundred thousand miles before you have to do it again...Mark
Old 03-22-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Hey Augie, glad you got it done. It's a pita, but now you have another few hundred thousand miles before you have to do it again...Mark
That is exactly why I am doing mine. I have a bad inner spindle bearing and "While I am at it" I can't justify (in my little mind) being that close and not doing the rest.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
That is exactly why I am doing mine. I have a bad inner spindle bearing and "While I am at it" I can't justify (in my little mind) being that close and not doing the rest.
sounds like me. i need new brakes sooooooo, tearing it all the way down for all new bearings, axle joints, and brakes. should have it done this weekend!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
sounds like me. i need new brakes sooooooo, tearing it all the way down for all new bearings, axle joints, and brakes. should have it done this weekend!
Glad I'm not the only one. I have a suspicion there are quit a few like that here though.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Glad I'm not the only one. I have a suspicion there are quit a few like that here though.
Yeah, I'm a "while you're in there anyway kind of guy". Why would you not change the TO and pilot bearings when you are changing a clutch?...Mark
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM

Yeah, I'm a "while you're in there anyway kind of guy". Why would you not change the TO and pilot bearings when you are changing a clutch?...Mark
I think there was a guy on here last summer that had problems for just that reason.

I have grown to hate redoing things that I could have avoided by doing right in the first place.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I think there was a guy on here last summer that had problems for just that reason.

I have grown to hate redoing things that I could have avoided by doing right in the first place.
Now in a perfect world, you would have new replacement parts that LASTED....
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
Now in a perfect world, you would have new replacement parts that LASTED....
I'm with you on that one T, I have taken to rebuild OEM parts, rather than replace them. Usually you are never going to have a better part than the original. I recently put back together a 1981 MB 240d (not restored, per se) and I find that every part on that car is designed to be rebuilt, I gotta hand it to MB, they have it down. On a side note, the plastic that they did use is top notch, it just doesn't break. The factory pull ties that hold down the wiring just don't break, you can open and close them a gajillion times (that's a lot )...Mark
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 03:04 PM

I'm with you on that one T, I have taken to rebuild OEM parts, rather than replace them. Usually you are never going to have a better part than the original. I recently put back together a 1981 MB 240d (not restored, per se) and I find that every part on that car is designed to be rebuilt, I gotta hand it to MB, they have it down. On a side note, the plastic that they did use is top notch, it just doesn't break. The factory pull ties that hold down the wiring just don't break, you can open and close them a gajillion times (that's a lot )...Mark
That's my current feeling as well. Anything goes wrong, I'm having it, or rebuilding it myself. Tired of all this parts swapping time and time again. I wish I had never thrown out quite a few parts on my vehicles. Heck, it didn't even have to be a vehicle. My Looneymount snow plow motor. I should have had that rebuilt. New one cost $69 plus shipping. Lasted a year. The original one ? Lasted 19 years. I threw it in my scrap pile, and now it's a maytag washer, or a hover board... who knows what happens to stuff once it's scrapped....
Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Administrator

That's my current feeling as well. Anything goes wrong, I'm having it, or rebuilding it myself. Tired of all this parts swapping time and time again. I wish I had never thrown out quite a few parts on my vehicles. Heck, it didn't even have to be a vehicle. My Looneymount snow plow motor. I should have had that rebuilt. New one cost $69 plus shipping. Lasted a year. The original one ? Lasted 19 years. I threw it in my scrap pile, and now it's a maytag washer, or a hover board... who knows what happens to stuff once it's scrapped....
One of the first things that I did when I got my first gen was replace the starter. I am so glad that I kept the original, because I had it professionally re-manufactured by a great shop nearby. It is currently back where it belongs, same thing with the original alternator...Mark
Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM

One of the first things that I did when I got my first gen was replace the starter. I am so glad that I kept the original, because I had it professionally re-manufactured by a great shop nearby. It is currently back where it belongs, same thing with the original alternator...Mark
I followed your lead. My oem alternator is in a box waiting to be rebuilt.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 PM

I followed your lead. My oem alternator is in a box waiting to be rebuilt.
I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago and is still on the truck. the same when the starter gets rebuilt. We have a great shop about three miles from home.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Makes me feel good then, that I kept my original A/C compressor and Master Cylinder instead of turning it in for a core. One of these days, I'll rebuild them myself. Just have to beat the wife to those "sitting around parts, collecting dust, Sanford and Son, etc." items before she gets her hands on them. I've learned to move my "stuff" from one stash area to another, to cause confusion, and deception. I tell ya, if something sits for too long, ITS NOT NEEDED, she says! I think with age, comes hoarding, cause I've gotten bad
Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Makes me feel good then, that I kept my original A/C compressor and Master Cylinder instead of turning it in for a core. One of these days, I'll rebuild them myself. Just have to beat the wife to those "sitting around parts, collecting dust, Sanford and Son, etc." items before she gets her hands on them. I've learned to move my "stuff" from one stash area to another, to cause confusion, and deception. I tell ya, if something sits for too long, ITS NOT NEEDED, she says! I think with age, comes hoarding, cause I've gotten bad
LOL I started hording parts in my early twentys.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
The pics in the begining arent showing, have they been moved

Quick Reply: Ok, lets do our dana 60 4x4 king pins