1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Oil centrifuges

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Oil centrifuges

Is anyone using one on there truck. I see that diesel power has a wright up on putting a Dieselcraft unit on a 7.3 I see that this unit has a small air pump to push the oil out of the unit [ DP states that this pump spins the centrifuge witch is wrong if that little air pump can spin the centrifuge at all I would be surprised] what spins them is the engine oil pressure . I was looking at the Spinner II units as I have some history with then. And the Spinner II units don't use the air pump to push the oil out of the centrifuge. I don't think you need a air pump if you have a good oil drain back to the oil pan. Ken
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running a centrifuge on my 05' Duramax for about 20k miles now, and it works great. There must be something wrong with the truck they ran it on in diesel power to get that much gunk in 1500 miles. I clean mine out every couple thousand and there is maybe 1/16" of thick gunk on the sides. Kind of like thick cold paint. Nothing like what the diesel power article shows. I am curious to see there full writeup on the centrifuge thats supposed to be in the aug issue. I did a post on this site as well as the duramax sites on how I built my own kit for $150. It may help give you some ideas and options as far as price goes.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 PM

I was under the impression that oil centrifuges were a bad thing. I think it was Mack(i'll have to look that up) that tried it years ago. There thought was it would centrifuge out all the soot and crap. But it ended up centrifuging out all the additives that make oil work well, and took all that out and the engines ended up needing overhauls sooner. They dont use them any more.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could do their coolant filter a lot cheaper. And the filter I would use can be ordered by any parts store worth a snot and have additives for the coolant to keep it fresh.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by roughstock
I was under the impression that oil centrifuges were a bad thing. I think it was Mack(i'll have to look that up) that tried it years ago. There thought was it would centrifuge out all the soot and crap. But it ended up centrifuging out all the additives that make oil work well, and took all that out and the engines ended up needing overhauls sooner. They dont use them any more.
Sounds like a load to me .

Just about every industrial diesel in a stationary, marine, or even commercial trucking/ agricultural setting have a centrifuge of some sort. This isn't some new oggity boogity voodoo snake oil that just came out last year!

I've even worked on with a Cummins C series that was an emergency generator set that had one.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Dzl_damon is right. ^^^ I don't know why Mack stopped installing them, probably so they could sell more parts. Because the centrifuge made things run better for longer, it wasn't so good for buisness. Just about every owner-operated Pete, K Whopper etc has one. Why? Because they not only work, they do a great job of cleaning your oil! I think powertripls is going to see a return on his one in... ohh, 3 oil changes?

Last edited by KD93; 06-02-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammer. Bad English!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
Sounds like a load to me .

Just about every industrial diesel in a stationary, marine, or even commercial trucking/ agricultural setting have a centrifuge of some sort. This isn't some new oggity boogity voodoo snake oil that just came out last year!

I've even worked on with a Cummins C series that was an emergency generator set that had one.
Maybe we aren't talking about the same type of centrifuge filters, because all of our OTR trucks, stationary powerplants, and ag motors at work have regular spin on canister oil filters.

I could be wrong, ive been wrong before.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Roughstock, a centrifuge is an additional filter. All the engines Dzl_damon is talking about have regular spin-on filters too. A centrifuge cleans the oil down to, depending on the type, somewhere around 0.5 - 2 microns. Obviously it's a type of bypass filter with that sort of filtering, as opposed to the full flow of a spin-on type. Hope this helps!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwrwtrpls1, thats on there 7.3 IDI. Probably why its got that much so soon.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM

oil centrifuges

i would like to know the size of the hole in the nozzle of the spinnerII 25 and the dieselcraft 020 either in mm. or inches if anyone knows. i think they are both 0.9gpm at 60psi. thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KD93
Dzl_damon is right. ^^^ I don't know why Mack stopped installing them, probably so they could sell more parts. Because the centrifuge made things run better for longer, it wasn't so good for buisness. Just about every owner-operated Pete, K Whopper etc has one. Why? Because they not only work, they do a great job of cleaning your oil! I think powertripls is going to see a return on his one in... ohh, 3 oil changes?
Mack has almost always used 2 full flow oil filters and some sort of by-pass filter. The by-pass they used was a centrifuge spinner style up until I think 2007 when they came out with the MP series engines which still use a by-pass filter, its just a spin on canister like the full flow filters for easier service. Plus the stupid centrifuge drain back hose would always rot out and leak down the block so in my book the spin on filter is better.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Where can you buy one of these and how long can you run between oil changes?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 AM

GLHS, I think pwrtripls1 has a thread on his one, but if not I'd PM him. And I think Diesel Power did an article on putting one on a Ford 7.3l, so that article should be on their website. Dunno if that particular one would work for us, but I don't see why not.