Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Nv 4500 tranny swap (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/nv-4500-tranny-swap-61083/)

WVU Dodge 02-12-2005 02:12 PM

Nv 4500 tranny swap

Who all out there has done a Getrag to NV 4500 swap? My buddy has a 4500 that needs rebuilt, and I am assuming he is going to include the bellhousing as well. My question is, am I going to need an adapter of some sort or will it bolt right up?

Another thing I have been wondering about is the transfer case. Will an NP 205 bolt up to a 4500? And also, it is a right side output, and if i'm not mistaken, the trucks that the 4500s came out of are all left side outputs. Is it as simple as just bolting my T-case to the right side and hooking up the driveshafts?

These are the only problems I see. Let me know if i am overlooking anything. I plan on replacing the clutch at the same time as well.

Any information is appreciated.

Oh, the truck is a 1990 4x4 3/4 ton regular cab.

Adam

Bob Beauchaine 02-12-2005 04:14 PM

The tail shaft on the 4 bys is different from the 2 bys so make sure his is a 4 by 4500. You will need a different bell housing as the front of the 4500 is not the same as the G360. I understand that the rest is fairly simple. I think the 2nd Gen bell housing will not work on the first Gen due to the position of the starter. Not sure about the rear tranny mount. I got mine from Dan at Quad 4X4 in Roberts MT - mines a 2 by - and had to shorten the drive line and I elected to fashion a rear cross member. My understanding is that the 4 bys don't need to do this.

Others who have done a 4 by can put their chime in here.

Bob

SmokinFive9 4x4 02-12-2005 10:04 PM

The bellhousing adaptor? is different in the 1st/2nd gens I believe. I can't remember if it was the starter or not, but I know I had to keep the 1st gen one to use my 1st gen tranny on the 94 motor. I'm pretty sure there is someway to hook a 205 to the 4500, if not a stock piece, then advance adaptors probably sells something. I've seen a few trucks out there with that combo. If I remember right I just read an article in a 4x4 mag that had a jeep with a 4500/205 combo. Have to check into that more, I like my gear driven T-case, but I want a 5600 eventually,,, hmmm.

SteamDave 02-12-2005 11:10 PM

I did the NV4500 swap on my truck. You will need a new bellhousing for the New Venture. Quad 4x4, Standard transmission & gear, and Advance Adapters all have a conversion bellhousing and kits for this swap. This lets you use the stock slave cylinder and clutch parts. You can buy a whole kit or piece your own together.

The 205 will bolt directly to the 4x4 NV4500. You will have to remove the seal on the output shaft of the NV for the coupler to fit, the seal on the 205 will keep thins seperated just fine.

Just make sure you have diesel transmission-the gasser versions have different shaft sizes
The only thing I had change was slotting the mounting bracket for the 4x4 lever in order to get it to line up a little better with the new trans. You will also need a spacer for the transmission mount-the NV mount is roughly 3" shorter than the Getrag

It sounds like more work than it really is, I think I've covered the basics

vinny 02-12-2005 11:42 PM

I expect to have to do this eventually...

Hey Dave,is it really that easy?

After reading about this several times,I'm still not clear on what-all is needed. Can you use the 1st Gen block adaptor and a 2nd Gen bellhousing? Or do you need the block adaptor too?
What's the deal with the starter?

This would be a great addition to the tech section if someone who has done this has the time to cover more than the basics.

Just knowing exactly what parts,from what years you would need,so it could be done without surprises would be a blessing.

Thanks,
Vinny

SteamDave 02-12-2005 11:57 PM

I think if you want to use the 2nd gen bellhousing you will need the block adapter too. You will also need the throwout bearing fork and the slave cylinder from the 2nd gen as well.
I'm not sure if the starter location is different, I think the bolt pattern between the 1st and 2nd gen starters is different.
Advance Adapters prints a pretty good interchange/installation manual. It covers tranny i.d.,and different packages they have to put a NV in just about anything. Alot of good info about different transfer cases and what they will swap into also

Jim Shulmister 02-13-2005 08:26 AM

I dont have this conversion yet, but i have researched the bellhousing/adapter issue. The aftermarket bellhousing allows you to save time and money by using all the original accessories (starter,clutch slave, master/throwout bearing,arm/ backing plate). You can do the conversion without the $500 adapter, but you will have to buy all the above mentioned stuff from a second gen and spend all that time.
-Jim-

WVU Dodge 02-14-2005 06:21 PM

I appreciate the info fellas. I called up to a place in PA that specializes in selling Dodge diesels and parts, and they couldnt really tell me much b/c he said he had never done such a swap, just heard of it being done. As i get more serious about it i will probably have more questions.

Does anybody have any advice on what type of clutch to go with. South bend seems to be the popular choice, but what else is out there that is reputable. McLeod? Centerforce? Not sure how much power i'm making now. I see about 35 psi of boost if that 1psi=10hp thing ever holds true. I have plans on upgrading eventually to a hx-40 or small twins setup, depending on funds. I'm still in college so it is usually a choice between eating, parties, or horsepower upgrades. I am still waiting to hear back from Cummins after an interview for an internship. Maybe it will just be a question of how many turbos i can fit under my shirt. haha

Adam

Monty 02-14-2005 06:34 PM

I just had the conversion done last week at Blumenthals. Bellhousing, NV4500 with fully splined mainshaft, Crossmember, shorten the driveline 6" (only on 2wd's) new trans yoke, pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Speedo gear and adapter will work just fine from the old Getrag.

I didnt know how loud that Gutbag was until I got this in. Man, it is much quieter in the cab and shifts great.

SteamDave 02-14-2005 07:33 PM

Monty
I've had my NV in for over a year and I love it. Like you said the lack of noise was just ...well..incredible. I also like that now I don't have to rev 'er to the pin with a good load behind to make it to 3rd and still gain speed and the steeper OD dropped my rev's roughly 200 RPM
WVU Dodge
I'd go with South Bend Clutch. If you are planning on the mods you say, it will be worth it
I've told myself I'd stop when I hit a certain HP mark....But...I seem to keep raising the mark:D
I'd just hate to spend "x" amount of money on a clutch (none of them are really cheap) only to find a year later you have tweaked enough to need a better one

Monty 02-14-2005 08:26 PM

Yeah, after the conversion was done and I paid for the work. The service manager said that the mechanic wrote on the workorder "clutch may slip in 5th, too much power"LOL[laugh] I am working on getting a SBC Con O this week.

SteamDave 02-14-2005 08:44 PM

Too much power......is there such a thing??:D :D

I put a clutch in mine while the trans/transfer case were out....too much work and too heavy to have to do twice

wannadiesel 02-15-2005 08:02 PM

Monty- You got a spare Getrag laying around now? [laugh]

frostie 02-16-2005 12:44 AM

If a second gen engine adapter is used on a first gen, you will need to put a second gen starter on. It will work but the starter will be very close to the frame and the battery cable will reach. Monty is right, the clutch will spline up correctly. The fork and slave I cant tell you about, I did lots of research when I put an NV5600 in my 2WD.
The engine adapter was about $160 from Dodge and the starter is about $160 from NAPA.
Good luck

Monty 02-16-2005 07:05 PM

Dave, I wish I could have kept the Getrag, but I had to turn it in for a core. You can use your existing slave cylinder. With the bellhousing that I got with mine, it allows you to use the same starter, slave, etc.