1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NEWBIE!!! Pyro temps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
NEWBIE!!! Pyro temps?

Just picked up a '92 W250 CTD auto with O/D. Has 200,000kms and is in excellent shape. Have a few questions though. It is currently stock except it already has a RPM gauge and Pyro temp gauge. What is a comfortable cruising RPM and what is the DANGER ZONE for the pyro temps? The sensor is in the turbo housing on the exhaust side and I hit 900* pulling a long hill at WOT with a 8.5ft camper on.

Also any idea what size my turbo is? What sort of tweaking can I do to improve power and gas milage? (Go ahaead and get technical, I'm a HD mechanic by trade).

What about bug screens for the front? I usually don't use them as they slow airflow but I thought it might save wear and tear on the intercooler.

Thanx in advance. BTW if it makes a differnce I'm in Calgary Alberta(no inspections).

Old 08-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:NEWBIE!!! Pyro temps?

Hey, Welcome aboard!!!

You are in good company here.. I am in Lacombe Ab, and there are a bunch of us around the ol Cowtown..

I am guessing that your pyro is pre-turbo? If it is you usually want to keep it under 1250°F for extended periods, If its post turbo, depending on your engine speed and load 900 to 1000° max.

As for the turbo, you may have to look at the casting numbers on the exhaust housing to see what you have. The stock housing on a 92 is a 21 cm, and is quite slow on the spool up. But if the previous owner has done a bit of work, it may have a different housing.

The tweaks are endless for the amount of power and performance you want. Poke around here for a bit and see if anything tickles your fancy and then we can help out.

J-eh
Old 08-01-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the land of Cummins in the state of Dodge. This is where being a Dieselhaulic is the norm. Glad to have you aboard and enjoy your stay here.
Bob
Old 08-01-2003, 02:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the welcome!

Actually my sensor is right on the turbo housing on the outlet(exhaust)side. Wow it doesn't take much to hit 900*. I actually live in Cochrane and pulling the big hill with the 8.5ft camper on hit the 900* mark. Does using a smaller turbo help with this? How much are repalcment turbo's anyway? Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you have a fellow member in your own town..Look up Homestead here, he was just in the Events forum... He could meet for a coffee I'm sure..

As for the "turbo" well 900° is an OK number for EGT.. So by the sounds of it you may have a pretty un-altered truck.. 8)

Now the fun begins.. ;D Well for turbo, you can search the forum here, but as it sits you are going to have to figure out if you want to make a drag racer or heavy hauler.. This will dictate what modifications you want to partake. Basically the housings jump in cost by about 3x if you go from a 16 cm non-wastegated housing to a 14cm wastegated housing. The 16 is an easy install, good in price and if you research here, just a good all around upgrade IMHO :. The wastegated housings are more expensive and require some re-working of your exhaust system but the low end boost is enormous..

I will PM you some links for pricing more local and in CDN $$$..

J-eh
Old 08-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the CPL number on the engine (located on the side of the timing housing by the injection pump). If it's 1579, you have an 18.5 cm housing, if it's 1351, you have a 21 cm housing, assuming the truck is stock. You can also use a mirror to read the side of the turbine housing that faces the firewall, a 21 cm says "21". My truck had the 21, see my sig for mods, the fuel is stock and I love the truck even more now! 12 and 14 cm non-wastegated housings can be had for about the same price as the coveted 16, but they require the same 1 1/4 inch trim of the downpipe that the wastegated housings do.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!..always good to see another Albertan on board.
You should try and make it to the Dyno day 27 September at PAAL in your neighbourhood. I bought my truck in Calgary and most of the work had been done at PAAL, including the exhaust, which besides the cool factor, would reduce your exhaust temps somewhat as well as give you a bit more grunt.

I have considered a bug screen too, lots of chunky flying and hopping critters getting smeared on the windshield so I can imagine how the rad and cooler are fairing out....I would imagine if we gave the screen a sweep every now and then it would certainly be easier than trying to pick crusty bug parts from the cooler fins.