Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Newbe with 92 won't crank Need Help (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/newbe-92-wont-crank-need-help-280206/)

339K&Counting 11-08-2010 09:27 AM

Newbe with 92 won't crank Need Help

:( Newbe to 1'st gen. Sorry for longish post, but need help! Was going to change oil on Fri. Won't crank. I read posts on this website and tried several things. No luck. Need truck for work.
Battery is charged.
Checked and cleaned all battery connections. (Both ends.)
A jumper from small starter terminal to + batt will crank, but not start engine
Opened up low pressure and used manual lever to push fuel through
Removed shut down solenoid - in good shape
Two connectors to shut down solenoid - a blue wire and a black (from separate looms) - cleaned and tightened these.

I checked fuse block - I only have power to 4,5,6 fuses, no power to other fuses.
Took plastic pieces offf steering column - looks Ok - nothing burnt
With key in on position, I have no power to blue wire on the shut down solenoid. Do have continuity.
I have a Chilton's Manual (1989-1996) - shows a PCM for 92 & 93 diesels. I must be looking in the wron g spot -could not find.
First experience with fusible links, but they seem okay.
I don't know what to do.
Appreciate your help to get this running.

Onemoparnut 11-08-2010 09:54 AM

Try testing for power on both sides of the fusable links it could also be a bad ignition switch.

339K&Counting 11-09-2010 07:47 AM

Thanks for suggestion. Will try on Fri. Home late yesterday, so could not work on truck. Weather to get ugly for few days and I'm working outside. Borrowing car.
How do I test ignition switch
Thanks

B-North 11-09-2010 11:55 AM

If you really need it to run jump the shutdown solenoid to 12v and then jump the starter that will at least get the engine running.

339K&Counting 11-14-2010 02:44 PM

Thanks B-North
Got the truck to run. Jumpered from B+ to shutdown solenoid and to small termianl on starter. Was able to move it from the field where it died to my driveway. Without the jumpers, total dead. Turn key - nothing.
Still can't find PCM. Is that black box on fender behind batt the PCM? I toke it apart - strange. A board coated in rubbery goo-ish something??
Am buying elec stuff to replace fusible links.
I look silly driving to the construction site with materials shoved out the windows of the daughters Honda!!

wannadiesel 11-14-2010 03:23 PM

You found the PCM.

339K&Counting 11-16-2010 01:44 PM

Thanks Wannadiesel,
I'm missing a wire out of that black duck foot thing. The wire that would be closest to the engine is gone. I can see a few strands of wire, but no wire. i don't know what PO did. Can someone tell me what color it would be and what it goes to? Thanks

339K&Counting 11-20-2010 03:54 PM

Rewired and have fuses for all fusible links. Will now start if I jumper to fuel shutdown relay. When I started repair and now, I have a 5 amp draw (I had to disconnect batt)- I've isolated it to fuse 15. WHere does the pink wire (out of 15) go? Don't have diagram. THanks, JIm