1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Truck-steering and gauge questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck-steering and gauge questions

I am buying a 91 W250 with an HX35 turbo, 35" bfgs, and so on. It has two issues that I am aware of at the time and I was hoping for some guidance on where to start chasing these gremlins.

The previous owner of the truck replaced the stock steering with an AGR super box and pump. Since he did that, the steering fluid ends up with air in it after the truck has run for a minute or two. I have read that lots of people have had trouble with AGR, but not that specific issue. Has anyone dealt with this? I may just go get stock replacement parts and scrap the AGR stuff if I can't sort it out, but I would prefer to get the AGR stuff working.

The other issue is that the Autometer pyro jumps around a lot. Another friend of mine has the same gauge on a 96 and has the same problem. Is there something that commonly causes that?

Thanks everyone for your input. I am eagerly awaiting an opportunity to go get the truck, it runs like a champ and I love that 1st generation look, especially because all my friends have gen 2s.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no clue bout the power steering, but Most of the time with a pyro the reason they jump is a bad/loose ground
Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 PM

welcome to DTR lots of great info (and people) on here... sorry i can't help with the steering either. but as far as the pyro goes, i have the autometer as well. the grid heaters are really the only thing that can affect it on my truck. i was told to give it a ground all to itself. like underpsi said, check the ground, make sure its good and try to seperate it from other things as well. (not sure if it really makes a difference but i am pretty sure that's what i heard and mine works great)
Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 PM

Pump might be bad.
If the pump is fairly new, then it sounds like the pump was not blead. Run it to the stops and hold a few times.
My best guess
Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is as kellypckp think it may be I would suggest jacking the front end up and keeping the lid off the resivoir while doing it. Jacking it up is alot easier on the steering parts when dry steering and keeping the lid off allows a plasce for the air to escape easily. good luck
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
What they said about bleeding, plus you could have a slight leak on the inlet side of the pump allowing it to suck air.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks all for the responses. I will check the wiring on the pyro gauge for sure. I am going to pick the truck up next weekend, and will have a look into the steering then. I will post it when I solve the problem. I am sure I will have a thouand other questions once I get into working on this thing. I'm stoked!

One other question- is there a way to tell if the torque converter has been replaced with a tighter one. The transmission was rebuilt about 10k miles ago and it feels as though it has at least a shift kit in it. Are there any markings that a performance converter would have that would be visible if I pull the inspection plate?

Thanks, this is very infomative site!